Watkins: Romo's pick is Williams' fault

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Romo's pick is Williams' fault

November, 4, 2013

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

Tony Romo has thrown six interceptions this season and two of them were in the direction of rookie receiver Terrance Williams.

Romo's first pick of the season was a result of Williams running the wrong route, but the one on Sunday in the victory over the Minnesota Vikings wasn't about the wrong route.

Williams needed to fight for the pass when he tangled with Vikings cornerbackA.J. Jefferson.

On third-and-nine from the Dallas 27, Romo sent a pass toward Williams, but Jefferson was able to get in the way to snag the ball with 4:29 left in the fourth quarter. The turnover didn't lead to a Vikings score, because the Cowboys' defense forced a punt with 2:51 to play.

"Certainly the coverage was tight and the guy made a good play, good break on the football," coach Jason Garrett said. "When it is one-on-one, you have to cut the ball loose. You have to count on the receiver winning and the receiver making the play for you and certainly, not a lot of bad things happening."

Garrett also noted a review of the game-tape will reveal more, but as talented as Williams is, he's also made a few mistakes. They're not end-of-the-world mistakes, but just rookie mistakes he'll grow from.

Part of the offense's struggles can be attributed to some of the young players still learning the game.

"There's some of that," Romo said. "I think that's part of it and we've got a couple of young guys who are playing that will have to get to that point. That's part of the experience thing. It's the greatest teacher you'll ever have is just going out and actually doing it. I had to grow up like that and other guys do, and they're doing a great job. if you can find a way to win the games and make the plays that we need to make like we did (Sunday), then we'll be the ball club that we can be and they'll be the players they can be."

D

Deuce

So Romo threw into blanket coverage and it's Williams' fault because he didn't knock it away? I agree WR's need to fight for the ball, but he didn't seem in position to to me. Maybe the HC just needs to come out and say it was a poor decision. End of discussion.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
So Romo threw into blanket coverage and it's Williams' fault because he didn't knock it away? I agree WR's need to fight for the ball, but he didn't seem in position to to me. Maybe the HC just needs to come out and say it was a poor decision. End of discussion.
I agree. Williams wasn't in position. The ball hit the arm on the opposite side of the defender and Williams momentum was going away from it.

Cotton

Staff member
This is the ultimate Romo apologist article.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
I agree about the first Williams pick and the guy stepping on Romo's foot not being his fault. This was a flat out bad decision and a pick. Sometimes the defenders are going to play the route perfectly and the receiver is not going to be open. This was the case but he threw it anyway.

D

Deuce

I agree about the first Williams pick and the guy stepping on Romo's foot not being his fault. This was a flat out bad decision and a pick. Sometimes the defenders are going to play the route perfectly and the receiver is not going to be open. This was the case but he threw it anyway.
It was a bad play. All he has to do is own up to it and move on.

But instead HAL9000 says if he see's one on one, "you have to cut it loose." It's all up to the WR at that point apparently.

superpunk

Banned
The corner was running Williams' route from the beginning.

Williams should have run a better route. Romo should have read that CB and never thrown it.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Damn.....Romo is the only QB to have never been responsible for the interceptions he's thrown.

Amazing.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Good grief...he is more and more a coddled bitch. People are quick to step in front and catch bullets for him...they must know he would crumble into a sobbing pile of shit if they didn't. This is tired.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

Correct. The first two you mention were not Romo's fault but this one most certainly was Romo's fault.

Carp

DCC 4Life
We can point out young players making mistakes, but never can seem to point out the mistakes of our veteran QB.

Genghis Khan

If not getting his mistakes pointed out is the worst thing that happens to him... :unsure

superpunk

Banned
I'd like to see what Garrett said in it's entirety. I find it difficult to believe he didn't say anything about Romo not throwing that ball and just laid it all on TW.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Good grief...he is more and more a coddled bitch. People are quick to step in front and catch bullets for him...they must know he would crumble into a sobbing pile of shit if they didn't. This is tired.
To be fair though, I do think Romo has every INT micro-examined, much more than any other QB.

His fault, but it is a bit trumped up.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I'd like to see what Garrett said in it's entirety. I find it difficult to believe he didn't say anything about Romo not throwing that ball and just laid it all on TW.
Go find what he said then.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
:lol

Watch a replay of the throw. It has minimal velocity on it.

Between those lame passes and him ducking into the fetal position when he throws into the oncoming rush I'm beginning to think the fucker is going all soft on us in his old age.

Genghis Khan

I wondered about Romo - out loud - until the Broncos game. He's been making a lot more safe/dumpoff/cheap/worthless/short throws this year than ever in his career. But against Denver he was more pimp than he's ever been. And he's had other moments like the 4th quarter against Detroit and the final drive against Minnesota. That tells me he is still fully capable of being vintage Romo. He is just (stupidly) being held back.

Cotton

Staff member
I wondered about Romo - out loud - until the Broncos game. He's been making a lot more safe/dumpoff/cheap/worthless/short throws this year than ever in his career. But against Denver he was more pimp than he's ever been. And he's had other moments like the 4th quarter against Detroit and the final drive against Minnesota. That tells me he is still fully capable of being vintage Romo. He is just (stupidly) being held back.
Yep.

Top Bottom