Watkins: Romo - I'll be more involved in game-planning

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Romo: I'll be more involved in game-planning

July, 18, 2013

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

With the Dallas Cowboys set to leave Friday morning for training camp practices in Oxnard, Calif., quarterback Tony Romo told the Racine (Wisc.) Journal Times he will have moreinvolvement in the offense.

"I think here going forward, I’ll just be more involved in game-planning," Romo told the newspaper. "There are certain things I really believe can help us that we’re going to do some of that. It’s a collective group effort, and I think we’re all going to go in there and go to work."

This doesn't come as a surprise since team owner/general manager Jerry Jones said early in the offseason that he wanted Romo to have more of a say in the offense. Jones said he wanted coach Jason Garrett and new playcaller Bill Callahan to run more plays where they can utilize the quarterback's legs and ability to move around the pocket.

Romo's role has changed over the years from a young quarterback asked to take over for a benched Drew Bledsoe to a veteran who commands the respect of the locker room.

"As quarterback, through the experiences you’ve had, you just understand what defenses are trying to do and you gain a very high understanding of football concepts and what you want to do," Romo said in the interview.

Romo underwent minor surgery to remove a cyst from his back this summer. The surgery prevented Romo from participating in offseason workouts, but he's thrown passes during walkthrough practices and all indications are he should be ready for training camp.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
If the offensive line blocks like it did the first half of last year it won't matter if Jerry brings in a chimpanzee to do the game planning.

Top Bottom