Watkins: Rod Marinelli on Brandon Carr's play - 'He's been solid it seems'

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Rod Marinelli on Brandon Carr's play: 'He's been solid it seems'
December, 1, 2014

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Dallas Cowboys cornerback Brandon Carr is one of the highest paid players at his position in the NFL. He signed a five-year $50.1 million deal with the Cowboys, the going-rate for that position, in 2012.

Carr has struggled this season. With four games remaining, Carr has no interceptions, just five pass breakups and according to STATS Inc., been burned a team-leading 34 times while allowing four touchdowns.

But Cowboys defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli was either being polite or honest when asked about Carr's play this season.

"He's been solid it seems, like," Marinelli said. "Once and while we have given up a few as all of us. And sometimes it's the rush, sometimes the guys hold the ball too long but overall for all us we just got to get better."

Marinelli isn't one to overly criticize one of the defensive players, likewise for coach Jason Garrett, who says everybody on the team can get better. But the secondary has shown a level on inconsistency in 2014.

Carr becomes the focal point because of his stature financially and he's a starter. Before Carr signed with the Cowboys, he had eight interceptions in four seasons with the Kansas City Chiefs. He had a career-high 25 pass breakups in 2010. In three seasons with the Cowboys he's got six. Carr isn't noted for his interceptions, but for making plays on the ball.

At the rate he's going, he might not reach double-digits in pass breakups, marking the first time that's happened since his rookie year in 2008.

You just can't blame Carr for all that's gone wrong in the secondary, mistakes by the safeties, a lack of pass rush and just giving credit to the opponent are reasons for some of his struggles.

Still, more is expected of Carr.

"Oh yeah, but the rush helps," Marinelli said. "Rush and cover, it’s all 11, it’s everybody and it’s coaches, too. So it’s all of us. We just got to keep pushing the details like we are and it’ll be fine."

Uhh...

p1_

DCC 4Life
Ask Beckham and all those who've seen The Catch II how Carr is doing.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Ask Beckham and all those who've seen The Catch II how Carr is doing.
No one could have defended that catch. Notwithstanding all of Carr's shortcomings.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
No one could have defended that catch. Notwithstanding all of Carr's shortcomings.
:lol

I'm not a Carr fan, but its tough to defend whats possibly a once in a lifetime catch, especially when you are shoved out of bounds on the play.

p1_

DCC 4Life
My point is that play is defining for both players involved.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
This is "don't embarrass the owner, make him seem like he isn't stealing money".

Hawkeye19

Brand New Member
This is "don't embarrass the owner, make him seem like he isn't stealing money".
yah-- and also "don't kick a man while he's down and has no confidence"

I think Marinelli is being gentle with the hope that Carr will recover a bit-- but IMO-- he has been a shell of himself ever since MegaTron abused him for 300+ yards last year. Just abused him. Pretty sure Carr got PTSD from being repeatedly raped by Stafford and Johnson.

Carp

DCC 4Life
So I guess we all agree...CB in the first.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I know you're at least half joking Carp but seriously, when is the last time, if ever, that we hit gold with a CB in the 1st round? Claiborne is a bust, Jenkins was passable for awhile, Newman was serviceable and had his moments. Kevin Smith was good until his injury but was never the quite the same afterward. Those are the last 4 1st round CBs that I can remember. Wasn't there another guy back in the day in the early 80s, Rod Hill...? Regardless, we don't have what you would call a stellar history of drafting CBs in the 1st. Scandrick is probably the best CB I can remember us drafting for quite quite some time now.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know you're at least half joking Carp but seriously, when is the last time, if ever, that we hit gold with a CB in the 1st round? Claiborne is a bust, Jenkins was passable for awhile, Newman was serviceable and had his moments. Kevin Smith was good until his injury but was never the quite the same afterward. Those are the last 4 1st round CBs that I can remember. Wasn't there another guy back in the day in the early 80s, Rod Hill...? Regardless, we don't have what you would call a stellar history of drafting CBs in the 1st. Scandrick is probably the best CB I can remember us drafting for quite quite some time now.
Yeah I don't think we have a good track record in any round. I'm not sure what the solution is but we definitely need better corner play.

Carp

DCC 4Life
We need to pick a philosophy and stick with it in terms of coverage. Man/zone...just pick something and stick with it. Our CBs have not produced, but we have no consistency with our D. Couple that with no pass rush and it is a disaster. I was jealous of NE and how they covered...yeah, Rodgers had a big day, but they made him make incredible throws for quite a bit of his yardage.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Marinelli's right. He sucks.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I know you're at least half joking Carp but seriously, when is the last time, if ever, that we hit gold with a CB in the 1st round?
When was the last time we did anything close to decent in the draft with regard to the secondary. Has to be the early 90's.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
You can get decent CBs anywhere in the draft.

Just look at all of them that have little problem covering Dez.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I like Senquez Golson and think you could get a steal in Josh Shaw late.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I like Senquez Golson and think you could get a steal in Josh Shaw late.
Josh Shaw?

The dumb fuck that made up the story about jumping off his balcony to save his drowning nephew?

Sorry.

Pass.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Josh Shaw?

The dumb fuck that made up the story about jumping off his balcony to save his drowning nephew?

Sorry.

Pass.
Yep. Guy has top end talent. At some point you have to take a chance on players who have a checkered past if you can get them late or as an UDFA. Young people do stupid things sometimes.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yep. Guy has top end talent. At some point you have to take a chance on players who have a checkered past if you can get them late or as an UDFA. Young people do stupid things sometimes.
Sorry, I got a thing about people who make lies about nephews.

cmd34

Brand New Member
Josh Shaw?

Sorry.

Pass.
Outside of that epically stupid story he made up, Shaw is a legit talent. Big, physical CB who has also started at FS for both the Trojans and Florida. He graduated with honors. Apparently he just never took an ethics class.

Top Bottom