Watkins: Final Exam - History says Romo will return

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Final Exam: History says Romo will return
January, 10, 2014

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

In the summer of 1993, Cowboys quarterback Troy Aikman underwent surgery for a herniated disc. Dr. Robert Watkins said at the time Aikman would miss six-to-12 weeks and there was a chance he would start the season on time.

Watkins said he removed a disc fragment one-inch wide and 1 1/2 inch long. Aikman's recovery went fine and he started the season on time.

Fast forward to the current quarterback, Tony Romo, who underwent surgery for a herniated disc a few weeks ago and is projected to return for the 2014 season.

Romo was older than Aikman was when he had his surgery, but it's expected that when he returns there shouldn't be any problems.

Aikman led the NFL in completion percentage at 69.1 percent and finished 10th in passing yards (3,100) and touchdowns (10). More importantly, Aikman led the Cowboys to a Super Bowl title that season.

There's no guarantee Romo will return on time, but from what team officials are saying he should be ready like Aikman was. The key for Romo is his weight. He was over his playing weight last summer, because his conditioning was slowed due to back surgery to remove a cyst.

Questioning Romo's abilities to return from a serious surgery is understandable, but his toughness shouldn't be questioned. Romo is one of the tough guys on the Cowboys' team and he made a statement 72 hours after back surgery, by showing up to team meetings following the regular-season loss to the Philadelphia Eagles, which eliminated the Cowboys from playoff contention.

Romo will be fine for 2014 because as Aikman's surgery demonstrated, you can return from a back injury and play well.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Steve McNair had surgery on a ruptured disc after week one and returned before November, and that was almost 15 years ago.

Romo's back problems are not related, but he's always been injury prone overall. Broken finger, multiple broken ribs (and punctured lung), broken collar bone, injured hand/wrist, and now a badly ruptured disc. His style of play puts his body at risk.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Romo will be fine for 2014 because as Aikman's surgery demonstrated, you can return from a back injury and play well.
Using Aikman as an example doesn't really work considering he was much younger when he had his surgery

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
What you talkin bout Willis?
"There are a lot of people that believe the concussions led to my retirement, but nothing could be further from the truth," Aikman said. "I then, nor now, have ever experienced anything that had to deal with the concussions. I had surgery back when I was 26. I was young when I had my first back surgery following our first Super Bowl victory and didn't miss any time for it."

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas-cowboys/headlines/20131227-troy-aikman-my-back-led-to-my-retirement-romo-s-back-should-concern-cowboys.ece

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
It sounds like we are fine and will win a super bowl next season.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Probably 3. :6superbowlwink.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
"There are a lot of people that believe the concussions led to my retirement, but nothing could be further from the truth," Aikman said. "I then, nor now, have ever experienced anything that had to deal with the concussions. I had surgery back when I was 26. I was young when I had my first back surgery following our first Super Bowl victory and didn't miss any time for it."

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas-cowboys/headlines/20131227-troy-aikman-my-back-led-to-my-retirement-romo-s-back-should-concern-cowboys.ece
He said his "first".

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
He said his "first".
Sorry but I'm not following what point you're making since Romo's back surgeries are only 8 months apart

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Sorry but I'm not following what point you're making since Romo's back surgeries are only 8 months apart
I am talking about Aikmen' s age. His first surgery was at age 26 but he had several procedures after that until he retired. Romo has just started the process but will possibly follow Aikmen' s path and play for quite a while with additional procedures.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I am talking about Aikmen' s age. His first surgery was at age 26 but he had several procedures after that until he retired. Romo has just started the process but will possibly follow Aikmen' s path and play for quite a while with additional procedures.
Ahhh ok, to that I'd say youth heals better and faster than age, I see no positive to Romo starting out on his back surgery process later in life.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Ahhh ok, to that I'd say youth heals better and faster than age, I see no positive to Romo starting out on his back surgery process later in life.
If you keep on, he will eventually stop debating and just say we will have to wait and see.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Hell man anything under 60 is youth.

data

Forbes #1
Do you really believe aikman? When you're getting concussions per sack, why would the back be the reason for retirement?

Hawkeye19

Brand New Member
One of the other issues in the article is Romo's weight. He's 6'2 and reported in at 236. That's fat for a pro athlete. Fitness and conditioning only become more important as an athlete ages-- Jerry Rice is the perfect example-- and my concern is that Romo has looked out of shape the past couple of years.

He just doesn't look as agile and quick in the pocket. IMO-- he not only needs to rehab smartly this offseason-- he needs to lose 15-20lbs and get some of his agility back. When you are making millions of dollars, only work for 6 months a year, and have access to state of the art equipment-- there is absolutely no reason you should ever be out of shape.

Donpingon

DCC 4Life
One of the other issues in the article is Romo's weight. He's 6'2 and reported in at 236. That's fat for a pro athlete. Fitness and conditioning only become more important as an athlete ages-- Jerry Rice is the perfect example-- and my concern is that Romo has looked out of shape the past couple of years.

He just doesn't look as agile and quick in the pocket. IMO-- he not only needs to rehab smartly this offseason-- he needs to lose 15-20lbs and get some of his agility back. When you are making millions of dollars, only work for 6 months a year, and have access to state of the art equipment-- there is absolutely no reason you should ever be out of shape.
Funny you mention it, i was talking to a buddy of mine a few days ago about how out of shape romo looked this year. He really does need to get in better shape, he's just not nimble in the pocket anymore.

Top Bottom