Watkins: DeMarco Murray will see box stacked

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Yes. Saying you would put nothing past the man should have been a dead give away to me that you weren't serious.

Can't believe I missed that.
I wouldn't put anything past him. Have you been paying attention these last 20 years? He has done some pretty bone-headed shit.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I wouldn't put anything past him. Have you been paying attention these last 20 years? He has done some pretty bone-headed shit.
So we're back to you thinking he would order his coach to go away from the run because it wasn't entertaining enough again, eh?

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I highly doubt it was a conscious choice by anyone.

IMO I think situations we've gotten into have prevented conditions we need to run the ball. Particularly, in the first half against Washington, four drives ended due to third and long sacks, or fumbles lost.

Well when you run twice and end up in third and long, and then Romo gets sacked on third down, the drive ends and you don't get the opportunity to continue to pile up rushing attempts.

Then by time you get to the 4th quarter/overtime, you are second guessing yourself because your offense is clearly sputtering and you are trying to give yourself a jolt.

That's why I think the biggest problem right now is the passing game. Get back to some success through the air, beat the blitz a few times to pick up key third downs, extend a few drives when Romo scrambles instead of Weeden getting arm tackled 6 inches short, and you will see us continue to feed Murray and he'll be back up at 25 carries instead of 19.

But you've gotta convert those third downs through the air, which we were doing earlier in the year but haven't the last 2 weeks.
That's B.S. In the 4th quarter and OT we were getting a big run basically every time we handed off, passing on 2nd and short then 3rd and short killed us. If you are second guessing the run after an 8 yard run on first down you are too stupid to run a dairy queen, much less an offense.

I think this is not so much you defending Garrett, I think you just don't think running the football is important. Every time you advance this "lack of trust" argument it seems more like you just want to see us running a Mike Martz offense and you think running the football is boring.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
That's B.S. In the 4th quarter and OT we were getting a big run basically every time we handed off, passing on 2nd and short then 3rd and short killed us. If you are second guessing the run after an 8 yard run on first down you are too stupid to run a dairy queen, much less an offense.

I think this is not so much you defending Garrett, I think you just don't think running the football is important. Every time you advance this "lack of trust" argument it seems more like you just want to see us running a Mike Martz offense and you think running the football is boring.
I love how you equate calling anything less than like 55% runs to a "Mike Martz Offense." When the league average is what? 45%?

Of course I think running the football is important... I've only been talking about the need to invest in the OL probably four times as often as anyone else on this board, and I was right about what we'd do with the football once we did invest in the line heavily.

What I don't go for is the constant second guessing of every little situational play call. Never have..... I have defended Parcells, Sean Payton, Tony Sparano, and Jason Garrett over the years, and my guess is I'll end up defending Linehan similarly before he's done here (Wade I had such a distaste for, I never really cared to defend him, plus people don't second guess defensive playcalls like they do offensive ones).

In retrospect, yes, you should have run the ball after getting second and two. But these bad decisions happen league wide to every coach.... if you think they are isolated to Dallas, or Garrett, you are fooling yourself.

In general I am supportive of the way Linehan has run the ball. And I think his bigger problem right now is getting the passing game clicking. If he does that, and Romo doesn't take three 3rd down sacks to end drives, we are never even getting to a situation where we are in overtime.

So I'm not gonna bitch about "abandoning the run." We clearly are devoted to running the ball this year -- right now, what Linehan needs to be spending his time on is the passing attack.

And yes.... as teams begin to stack the line with 9 in the box, I don't support smashing it headfirst into those walls. We saw the diminishing returns against Arizona. We managed to carve out a respectable 4 ypc but had a couple drives end because we ran twice, ended up in third and 8, and then Weeden couldn't pick up the first.

If we keep running the ball 35 times a game, and the passing game doesn't improve, those returns will keep getting worse as teams continue to stack the box.

It's probably time to mix in a few more passes, actually, to keep teams honest.

You all want to harp on about the 90s, the 90s, running the ball to win, etc.... well, guess what? We had a deadly passing game to go along with that.

The last two weeks, our passing attack has sucked. Gotta spend some more time on that area.

Last edited:

Jiggyfly

Banned
I don't think they gave up on the run this game at all, Weeden shitting the bed was the issue, if anything this game showed that we can run on anybody.

Which in my opinion bodes well for the future.

Top Bottom