Watkins: Cowboys have options at middle linebacker

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That's a valid point but often times some veterans sign a late career contract just to put the money in the bank. Since he has a connectin with Maranelli he might have his heart in the game but it's a dice roll. It would be a last resort option for me.
I am not saying we should sign the guy tomorrow. But if Holloman, Hitchens or whomever can't get it quick, then I call him up to see if he's capable. He might not, we don't know.

Regardless, I would like a veteran. We need the leadership.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Normally I would agree with you.

But this defense has absolutely no on the field leaders right now.

So when the shit hits the fan, who brings the guys into the huddle to calm them down?

We laughed back in the Phillips era, but I do think Brooking was a stabilizing force when dorks like Bradie James and Terence Newman failed.

There is a veteran void on the defense. And I don't think guys like Carr, Scandrick or Church are capable.
I agree about needing vet leadership but I think it would be tough to be that leader when you're getting outright abused on the field. Urlacher was in decline a few years before he even retired and now he's 36 with a year layoff? If he can even just play at a level that doesn't kill them I'm all for them bringing him in to be that veteran leader. I just don't know if he's capable of that anymore.

Kind of a sad state of affairs that we have to wish a washed up/retired LB would get off his couch to be the leader this defense needs. I don't know who on the current roster though. Carr? Played terribly most of last season. Church? Really? Scandrick, a scrappy corner?

Last edited:
Top Bottom