Ware Watch 2014

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
If that is the case, do not do selective detonation.

Why is Carr still getting his full salary?

Oh yeah, shitty contracts.

This is not a philosophical change. This is simple necessity.

Right. Exactly.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
People keep saying it's been two years. Last year, yeah he was slowed by injuries. The year before he had 11.5 sacks. We'd be jizzing in our pants if we signed an 11.5 sack guy.

So we just dumped a guy with All-decade type production because he missed game for the first time in his career and had one down year.

For nothing. Zero compensation, zero replacement.

We get to save some cap space. That we will use in an attempt to replace him. With a likely lesser player.

I can't get behind that.
If it were just last year that we saw the decline I would've been more supportive of bringing him back but Ware's been regressing and battling injuries since the 2012 season.

Yes he had 11.5 sacks in 2012 but one could make the argument that that was fool's gold.

On the surface those 11.5 sacks look great but if you watched the games or even look at his stats during the 2nd half of that season, it's plain to see that Ware was a complete non-factor for about half the season. Of those 11.5 sacks 9 came during the first 8 games. After that it was 8 games of what we saw last year. A lot of games where he was a complete non-factor and finished with 2 or 3 tackles.

So I don't consider it one down year. The decline actually started in 2012. The evidence is there.

Also, how many times did we go into games assuming Ware was going to have a huge day because the opponent was forced to start some slub Offensive Tackle from SW Louisiana Community College because their top 1 or 2 Tackles were out due to injuries? And at the end of the game Ware's stat line would read, 2 tackles, 1 QB pressure. Too many times to count, that's how many.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I don't disagree that this team needs to blow it up, but I'm saying they aren't doing that. They dumped Ware because they are worried that he had injury problems and an off year, and they didn't think they had money to fix the defense with his cap hit. This move was made because they think, with the money they are saving, they can field a better team this year without him.
If the money was spent properly, that might actually be true.

Unfortunately, we sign dorks who can't start.

Genghis Khan

He was definitely battling injury at the end of 2012 and that is the one worry with him.

But he had a very good 2012 season overall by any objective measure, if inconsistent.

As for the coming up small nonsense, funny how a small segment of Cowboys fans are basically the only people that have that perception. It's silly and it's hardly even worth addressing.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
If we keep throwing away $2M on dorks like Mincey, there is no way any free agent DL worth a shit will take us seriously.
I would think it would make them want to join us more because they would think they can get the most out of us.

Genghis Khan

If the money was spent properly, that might actually be true.

Unfortunately, we sign dorks who can't start.
They certainly don't know how to spend wisely.

The point of my post, though, was that this team is still in win now mode. Releasing Ware wasn't partof a plan to rebuild.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Ware, Spencer, Ratiliff and Hatcher in their prime helped us to one playoff win and several 8-8's. So I can't help but imagine what we'll do with a bunch of scrubs and rookies. I don't really have a problem letting Ware go, but makes you wonder about all the gosh awful contracts Jerry has given to aging players in the past, notably the ridiculous long term deal to Romo just a year ago. The major downside is that we are losing our entire starting DL in a matter of months. As hard as it was for Jerry to replace Haley, this ought to be interesting watching him try to find a whole front 4. On the bright side, it should expedite Garrett's dismissal.

hstour

Brand New Member

Notice they didn't restructure Carr?

hstour

Brand New Member
If we keep throwing away $2M on dorks like Mincey, there is no way any free agent DL worth a shit will take us seriously.
You still need backup/rotational guys that you didn't grab off the street in the middle of the season.

Last year should have taught you that.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard

I don't disagree that this team needs to blow it up, but I'm saying they aren't doing that. They dumped Ware because they are worried that he had injury problems and an off year, and they didn't think they had money to fix the defense with his cap hit. This move was made because they think, with the money they are saving, they can field a better team this year without him.
You can burn this year to the ground, and next year. If this team is competitive in 2016 it will be a miracle and how good will Ware be in 2016?

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Ware, Spencer, Ratiliff and Hatcher in their prime helped us to one playoff win and several 8-8's. So I can't help but imagine what we'll do with a bunch of scrubs and rookies. I don't really have a problem letting Ware go, but makes you wonder about all the gosh awful contracts Jerry has given to aging players in the past, notably the ridiculous long term deal to Romo just a year ago. The major downside is that we are losing our entire starting DL in a matter of months. As hard as it was for Jerry to replace Haley, this ought to be interesting watching him try to find a whole front 4. On the bright side, it should expedite Garrett's dismissal.
Garrett is probably already putting in apps for an OC position in 2015.

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
So we have the shittiest safeties and d-line in the league, a MLB made of glass, and mediocre at best CBs.

Hoo boy

Smitty

DCC 4Life
They certainly don't know how to spend wisely.

The point of my post, though, was that this team is still in win now mode. Releasing Ware wasn't partof a plan to rebuild.
I actually think we believe we can do both. "Retool" and still compete.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
So we have the shittiest safeties and d-line in the league, a MLB made of glass, and mediocre at best CBs.

Hoo boy
Our CBs are actually fine.

Just overrated. But give them a DL and watch them play like Pro Bowlers.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Ware left because not happy with direction of team?
http://dcfanatic.com/?p=10625
That's just talk show speculation as far as I am concerned. Ware left because Jones wanted him to take less money. It's pretty simple. I don't blame Jones or Ware for their positions. Everyone has known for weeks that this was coming and in turn almost everyone said Jones should pull the plug if Ware didn't come around. It all happened exactly like it was predicted. I know talk shows have to have something to talk about but this is just raw conjecture.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Agent: The Truth Behind Ware’s Exit From Cowboys
By Shan Shariff | 105.3 The Fan
March 13, 2014 2:29 PM

DALLAS (105.3 THE FAN) – The agent for DeMarcus Ware is speaking out to set the record straight on Ware’s exit from the Dallas Cowboys.

In a conversation with 105.3 The Fan’s Shan Shariff, Pat Dye, Ware’s agent, contradicted reports that Ware was released because he was unwilling to take a salary reduction.

“DeMarcus, each of the last three years, has restructured his contract to create salary cap room just like they did with Romo and with Witten in the past. He’s always been very much a team guy,” said Dye.

Dye says that Ware and the Cowboys discussed his client’s contract over the course of seven days prior to free agency.

“If we were not willing to entertain a reduction and see what the Cowboys had in mind, I think we would have just flat-out said we’re not taking a pay-cut. There’s no point in talking. That was not the case.”

Dye acknowledged that Ware had a less than stellar 2013 while fighting injuries, but he also acknowledged that Ware’s salary wasn’t consistent with the Cowboys’ off-season plans.

“We certainly recognize that DeMarcus will be 32 in July and he’s has had some injuries and his production was down last year. For those reasons, we were willing to entertain a reduction. But I just don’t think it was going to be to the level the Cowboys could afford.”

In fact, Dye says that the Cowboys never made any offer to Ware, instead allowing the 31-year-old to explore the open market.

“Both [Jerry and Stephen Jones] made it clear — rather than us insult you with a proposal, why don’t y’all do your due diligence and see what the rest of the world thinks your market value is.”

“We went about that exercise and reconvened. Felt like we had a pretty good idea of what DeMarcus’ window would be in terms of average per year, shared that with them, and I think they came to a realization that there was no way they could do that and still accomplish the other goals and objectives that they had during the off-season — which is not just to keep one player, but to sign multiple players…particularly on the defensive side of the ball.”

When it became obvious that the Cowboys and Ware were not on the same page, Ware approached the Cowboys owner with a simple request.

“DeMarcus went and met with Mr. Jones on Tuesday — the day free agency started — and just said ‘If y’all are not going to be in that realm, I would really appreciate it if y’all would allow me the opportunity to go earn my market value and with that, have the freedom to choose where I might finish my career.’”

Ware was released on Wednesday, a move which allowed him to complete a three-year, $30 million deal with the Broncos — a contending team Ware is eager to join.

“With Peyton Manning there and Von Miller on the other side, playing in that division, with that football team in the AFC — he felt like that would give him the best opportunity to potentially play for a ring over the course of the remaining years of his contract.”

Dye expressed his client’s appreciation to the Jones family for allowing him his “freedom”, a move which ultimately paid dividends for Dallas. According to Dye, some of the Cowboys divisional opponents were very interested in his services, but Ware declined.

“It meant so much to DeMarcus that, there were teams in the NFC East that were dying to get him in for a visit. DeMarcus felt so appreciative and so grateful to Mr. Jones for allowing him his freedom, that he didn’t feel good about coming back and playing the Cowboys twice a year.”

Dye says there is no bitterness between Ware and the Cowboys, despite reports that Ware was upset and insulted by Jerry Jones’ comments at the NFL Combine.

“Mr. Jones apologized for sharing some of his internal thoughts about the age, the injuries, the production, relative to what DeMarcus was going to make. He didn’t deny those were his feelings, but he said ‘I should have communicated those to you directly before ever saying anything to the media about that.’ DeMarcus was disappointed that he had to read that…DeMarcus understands this is a business. He got past that pretty quickly.”

The split was “mutual”, “bittersweet”, and “best for both sides” — and the relationship is far from over.

“He’ll always be a Cowboy. He’ll keep a home there. And I feel certain he’ll come back there when he’s done playing.”

Top Bottom