Walker: Cowboys' Mike McCarthy has intriguing plan for defense going into 2020 season

p1_

DCC 4Life
I hope it was worth it for Irving just to be able to get high

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I hope it was worth it for Irving just to be able to get high
Reminds me a lot of the Ricky Williams situation.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Watt has 13 and 14.5 sacks the last two years, jesus.

And Charlton even had 5 this year with Miami.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I don't agree with that. It was definitely time to move on, so it's easy to forget what utter dogshit the defensive line was when he got here. We are much more talented there now than when he started.
That is not saying much. The DL was terrible when he got here, and RM has a way of getting bad talent to at times over achieve in the right scheme so he got disproportionate amounts of love for supposedly fixing things.

Granted you can’t fix a Nick Hayden, but it doesn’t help when you don’t believe in talent at the 1T position as a pro-forma to start with. RM’s DL ultimately took way too many chances and doesn’t work without a Warren Sapp and Booger McFarland to make up the difference with crazy talent.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Which member of the D line will be suspended in the next few months? There's always one.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Which member of the D line will be suspended in the next few months? There's always one.
I believe Crawford and Antwaun Woods are both already under investigation for incidents so I'm guessing Woods.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
To be fair to Marinelli, Hill flashed elite explosiveness and quickness off the snap pretty often in college. The big issue is that the guy is a dumbledore who is immature and soft, and ultimately the only guys who can make it in the league without a great work ethic are the generational talents, which Hill clearly never was.

I understand rolling the dice on the flashes but not in the 2nd round when there was very good value at another position of need on the board. If we had taken him even at the end of the 3rd I would've been fine with it, but the way the organization locked in on him at the end of the 2nd, with their first pick, just screams of artificially inflating a guy's grade because he's someones pet cat.

p1_

DCC 4Life
To be fair to Marinelli, Hill flashed elite explosiveness and quickness off the snap pretty often in college. The big issue is that the guy is a dumbledore who is immature and soft, and ultimately the only guys who can make it in the league without a great work ethic are the generational talents, which Hill clearly never was.

I understand rolling the dice on the flashes but not in the 2nd round when there was very good value at another position of need on the board. If we had taken him even at the end of the 3rd I would've been fine with it, but the way the organization locked in on him at the end of the 2nd, with their first pick, just screams of artificially inflating a guy's grade because he's someones pet cat.
the willful ignoring of better players available at our selection slot (purely for Marinelli's fantasy) is infuriating. It goes hand in hand with the undervaluing of DT and S in general. We clearly had need in both positions, and still do.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard

I think if he was going to use wizardry we'd have seen it by now.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
A glimmer of hope regarding McCarthy. These quotes on player acquisition:

McCarthy: “Let’s get as many good football players as we possibly can. It’s our job as coaches to make sure our scheme boundaries are plenty wide enough to fit any excellent football player into our program.”

McCarthy: “I feel like player acquisition and coaching instruction is a two-way street. I think if you have a system of defense where you need a certain player to fit your scheme, you’re limiting your personnel department.”

From the Idiot Son:
“Being a multiple defense and being able to do a lot of things as we’re starting to see around the league can be problematic for opposing teams, coordinators and quarterbacks seeing different plays,” Jones said. “To some degree, we’ll evolve into that type of defense.

“I think Mike said it best: He just wants to take players that can make plays. And scheme around those type of players.”

Thinly disguised slaps at Marinelli. But it's also an indictment of Garrett. With Red Pube, it was "our" system, the scheme -- rigid, predictable, unable to adapt to changing styles of play around the league. It had to be Garrett's "kind of guy" plus Marinelli's and Richard's prototype defensive player, which led to the Hill and Charlton picks.

And all those characteristics are ways a coach excuses himself from having to be creative and innovative. Just stick with the system and plug the right players in. That was Garrett and Co.

"Players that can make plays." What a unique concept.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I detect a slight hint of optimism in that post

Top Bottom