Twitter: Tank calling out Refs

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The hold was literally for a second. I don't have a problem with that no call. I would be pissed if they called that against Collins or Smith.
Really? That seems pretty blatant. It was just as bad if not worse than the hold by Witten in the same game.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Really? That seems pretty blatant. It was just as bad if not worse than the hold by Witten in the same game.
It was. That's a sack at the very least if he isn't held there.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
The hold was literally for a second. I don't have a problem with that no call. I would be pissed if they called that against Collins or Smith.
The one they called on Witten was only for a second, also.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
After years and years of watching football, I've come to accept that refs will never make calls consistently. You can get bent all you want while watching but it won't change a damn thing.

That's why I feel that refs should be fully trained, full time employees and they should have limited tenure. It's not like the league doesn't have the $$ to make it happen but that would take, you know, effort.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I'd only call it a fix if someone took the time and did a chart on the teams with dynamic sack guys and how many holds (or non-calls) were called. I'm guessing Dallas is getting fucked.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd only call it a fix if someone took the time and did a chart on the teams with dynamic sack guys and how many holds (or non-calls) were called. I'm guessing Dallas is getting fucked.
Well we are tied for the league least with the New England Patriots for holds in our favor.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Refs are human just like anyone else. If they don't like you, you're just not going to get the calls.
Interestingly, we are one of the least penalized teams in the league. Can't remember the last time that was the case.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
I was thinking about that. Plot a graph of offensive holding calls versus sacks. You would think it would have have a fairly decent positive slope. So many factors though so might not...

Oh I found the data. Should have an answer shortly!

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Well this is pretty much a letdown. There is virtually no relationship between sacks and holding calls received.

This chart shows holds (y axis) versus sacks (x axis). Each dot is a different team (we're 32, 10).

We do have the largest disparity between holds against and holds for. Shocker.

Sadly this really doesn't prove our point. Interesting that we are only 13th in the league in sacks.

Last edited:

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Sadly this really doesn't prove our point. Interesting that we are only 13th in the league in sacks.
We are and have been a sack by scheme team. We don't get consistent pressure outside of peeling our ears back. DLaws's great year is boosting our total but not by much.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I certainly think it's significant that we are dead last in differential with one of the most talented Olines in the NFL and 2 probably double digit sack guys on the Dline.

What your graph does show to me is that holding calls are almost entirely random. That there probably is absolutely no reason for a large differential from one team to another.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
I certainly think it's significant that we are dead last in differential with one of the most talented Olines in the NFL and 2 probably double digit sack guys on the Dline.

What your graph does show to me is that holding calls are almost entirely random. That there probably is absolutely no reason for a large differential from one team to another.
Yeah, there are just so many factors. Opponents, OLine coaching, mobile QBs, ref crews faced. You would have to do some serious regression analysis to figure out what, if any, role bias/luck (depending on your opinion) is playing.

kidd

DCC 4Life

Call me a conspiracy theorist if you want but I don't need a graph to tell me that many of the holding calls on our team come after we make a huge play.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Call me a conspiracy theorist if you want but I don't need a graph to tell me that many of the holding calls on our team come after we make a huge play.
I always laugh when people act like refs can't single handily decide games.

kidd

DCC 4Life
I always laugh when people act like refs can't single handily decide games.
I'm one of those who says a truly good team has to overcome bad officiating but that doesn't mean there isn't bad officiating.

Look no further than the last two playoff games against Green Bay.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm one of those who says a truly good team has to overcome bad officiating but that doesn't mean there isn't bad officiating.

Look no further than the last two playoff games against Green Bay.
There is so much parity in the NFL that you can't over come one sided officiating against a good team in my opinion. No one is that much better than their opponent.

Top Bottom