TV Thread

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Since BB is gone, TWD is the new can't miss show...but that even annoys me at times and I won't go into convulsions if I miss an episode.

I sure hope a new good show comes along soon, because I don't see a lot out there that really is can't miss.

EZ22

The One Who Knocks
Since BB is gone, TWD is the new can't miss show...but that even annoys me at times and I won't go into convulsions if I miss an episode.

I sure hope a new good show comes along soon, because I don't see a lot out there that really is can't miss.
I totally agree. I am saddened not necessarily by the fact that Breaking Bad has ended, but that there is nothing on the horizon I give two shits about, including The Walking Dead. I mean, I'll watch it, but like you said if I have to wait a few weeks and binge watch a few episodes on DVR... no big deal.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I totally agree. I am saddened not necessarily by the fact that Breaking Bad has ended, but that there is nothing on the horizon I give two shits about, including The Walking Dead. I mean, I'll watch it, but like you said if I have to wait a few weeks and binge watch a few episodes on DVR... no big deal.
BB was great...but this is like crashing after a good high.

EZ22

The One Who Knocks
BB was great...but this is like crashing after a good high.
It really is. I've already started watching it again from the pilot episode because it's just that good and I'm not ready to let it go. /gay

D

Deuce

Both The Goldbergs and Brooklyn 9-9 were very good in their first two episodes but I agree, nothing is must watch. I may go back and watch The Wire through again.

dallen

Senior Tech

TWD is barely playing the same game as Breaking Bad. Game of Thrones does the genre thing better. There isn't really anything left that merges intelligence and action the way BrBa, The Sopranos, and Deadwood did. I feel like maybe The Americans might be able to turn into something if they want to explore the modern surveillance society we live in. It seems like everyone wanted to be the next HBO about 6 years ago, and when they realized they couldn't compete they gave up. Meanwhile HBO seems like they've decided to split their shows into either action (Boardwalk, GoT) or intelligent (Girls, Newsroom). (I apply the term "intelligent" to those shows because I think that is the way HBO sees them.)

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
SOA is my show now. Tonight's was a good one. I think they are headed somewhere good.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Through season three, episode seven of TWD. Just started with 1/1 last night.

Must sleep...

~eyes bleeding~

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

Walking Dead is a very basic show, there is not alot of subtlety and beneath the surface stuff going on there, the reason it is so popular is it because it appeals to a very base aspect of human nature, violence. The violence and gore is literally the only reason the show is so popular, and perhaps the novelty of the fact that there isn't another zombie-based show on television. There is no intricacy in the storylines, most of it is very predictable.

I still enjoy the show but it is nowhere near a show like Breaking Bad and it honestly sickens me that the ratings it gets far surpass that of shows like Breaking Bad and Mad Men. It speaks to the nature of the society that we live in.

With that said, my favorite show right now has to be GoT or The Americans.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I disagree about the no heart pounding moments. The whole Gray Matter/Walt scene was very tense, to me. I fully expected him to go in there with revenge on his mind because of the slight they gave him in that interview. For him to control his emotions and use them the way he did was full of drama and brilliant, imo. And one last bit of comic relief when he made Badger and Skinny Pete give the laser pointers back.

Same with the final showdown at the compound. Even though there wasn't much dialogue between Walt and Jesse, there was some serious tension.
I'll chalk it up to my mood then.

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
I'm so sick of this zombie shit. They are as played out as you can get.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Don't have the article but evidently Mathew Broderick and John Cusak were considered for the role of Walter White. Can't imagine either one of those would do as good a job as Cranston. Especially Broderick.

D

Deuce

As far as I'm concerned, Cusak can do anything he wants and do it well. Broderick is harder to believe, but Gilligan believes anyone that has comedy chops can pull off high end drama like Cranston did and I think Broderick had that at one time.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Hard to say. I'm sure people would have thought Bryan Cranston would be a strange choice to play Walter White if the same had been asked while watching him play the goofy dad on "Malcolm in the Middle".

BipolarFuk

Demoted
John Cusak is a plus actor. He would have been fine.

I don't know if I could have believed Ferris Bueller however.

EZ22

The One Who Knocks
I'm sure people would have thought Bryan Cranston would be a strange choice to play Walter White
Yeah.

I think the story is that Gilligan wanted Cranston from the start after seeing him play a bad guy in the X-Files. But AMC didn't think he had enough star power and they wanted either Cusak or Broderick.

It's hard to imagine anyone else as Walter White now, but I damn sure can't see Broderick pulling it off. Cusak is a great actor but I can't even see him doing it.

Like I said though, it's hard to imagine it now just because I've seen Cranston do it for so long.

Top Bottom