TV Thread

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
YES. Incredible episode. Up there with the best of the Mandalorian.
What day are they releasing them? I thought it was going to be Fridays.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Never watched The Osbournes during its first run so I'm catching up on it. I genuinely hate these fat, no-talent, spoiled kids who seemingly never cracked a book or went to school.

the.osbournes.s02e11.dvdrip.xvid-tva.avi_snapshot_05.22.674.jpg

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I binged up to episode 5 last night, will probably finish the few available tonight.
Yeah I finished the first 7 episodes. I liked it. It feels like since season 1 the show has grown up a bit. It's not geared as much for kids in my opinion any longer.

I'm not saying it's must watch but I find it interesting at least. Worth watching in my opinion if you enjoy that sort of stuff.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The Shrink Next Door on Apple is damn good from what I have seen.

Farrell, Rudd and Hahn are excellent in it.

I just fell over it as my wife was watching without me. I must have missed it when it first came out.

Watched the second to last episode and now I am contemplating just excusing myself and then starting it from the beginning.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Obi-Wan episode 3 is def the best so far
Really? I didn't care for it much. I thought the first two were better.

One major problem I had with it was that scene when Darth Vader was fighting Obi-Wan.

Vader has all those powers and has been looking for Obi-Wan for close to a decade. He finally finds him and is face to face with him and we're supposed to believe a small fire stopped Vader from getting to Obi-Wan? And why not use the force to incapacitate that female soldier/jedi who fired the shot that started the fire? He'd just done it a few minutes earlier to some town dwellers when he was walking through town looking for Obi-Wan.

It was a lame getaway, IMO.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

One major problem I had with it was that scene when Darth Vader was fighting Obi-Wan.

Vader has all those powers and has been looking for Obi-Wan for close to a decade. He finally finds him and is face to face with him and we're supposed to believe a small fire stopped Vader from getting to Obi-Wan? And why not use the force to incapacitate that female soldier/jedi who fired the shot that started the fire? He'd just done it a few minutes earlier to some town dwellers when he was walking through town looking for Obi-Wan.

I agree about that but the whole episode as a whole was tremendous.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

I think he let him get away. Now that he knows where he is, he thinks he's got him cornered and he won't be able to get off the planet. So he's not going to go to great pains to secure him, he believes he'll catch up to him soon. It's obviously very personal for him and he wants him to suffer, which is why he didn't kill him when he had a chance, and looked like he was holding back earlier in the fight. It's obvious Obi Wan isn't what he used to be at this point.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think he let him get away. Now that he knows where he is, he thinks he's got him cornered and he won't be able to get off the planet. So he's not going to go to great pains to secure him, he believes he'll catch up to him soon. It's obviously very personal for him and he wants him to suffer, which is why he didn't kill him when he had a chance, and looked like he was holding back earlier in the fight. It's obvious Obi Wan isn't what he used to be at this point.
I'm not a Star Wars nerd so maybe my opinion shouldn't really count. I know Star Wars, have seen all the movies and have generally enjoyed them. So I watched the 3 episodes last night. I'll be honest I was disappointed. I thought the first episode was kind of a snooze fest. But kept going because sometimes first episodes are just that, a build up to something big. It just never really got better for me. The story seems to lack a semblance of intelligence. The goons just come off as dopy and dumb. And yet they so easily fool who is supposed to be this all amazing Jedi. Things just don't feel properly set up to build the suspense and excitement.

I agree with you on the Vader stuff though. I think he was just fucking with Obi. He doesn't want to just kill him. He wants to make him suffer. It's like a cat killing a mouse just kind of toying with it. He doesn't view Obi as a threat, he just has hatred for him. Inquisitor Reva or whatever her name is. Was just awful. Keep in mind I have no idea if this character is supposed to be male, female, black or white. I just think the dialogue and the way the character is acted is done really poorly. I find her to be a really poorly done character despite the fact that it could be a really awesome bad guy.

Overall I was a little disappointed. Not bad but I just felt like it could have been so much better.

Last edited:

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
I expected Vader to be physically stronger than Kenobi (he's a cyborg after all), but to levitate him like he was nothing? I thought the good side of the Force was supposed to be as strong as the dark side, yet Vader was toying with him. Also, Vader made the flames go away so that a Storm Trooper could retrieve the injured Kenobi, but couldn't do anything about the flames when the mercenary chick started them? Dumb.

And why is Reva obsessed with Ben? Is it just about currying favor with Vader, or something more personal?

Genghis Khan

I expected Vader to be physically stronger than Kenobi (he's a cyborg after all), but to levitate him like he was nothing? I thought the good side of the Force was supposed to be as strong as the dark side, yet Vader was toying with him. Also, Vader made the flames go away so that a Storm Trooper could retrieve the injured Kenobi, but couldn't do anything about the flames when the mercenary chick started them? Dumb.

And why is Reva obsessed with Ben? Is it just about currying favor with Vader, or something more personal?

Obi Wan has essentially cut himself off from the force for 10 years leading up to these events. So he's way out of practice and he's going to be much weaker than Vader, both physically and as a force user, at that point. Vader wouldn't have been able to do that to Obi Wan if Kenobi was at his peak.

Reva is definitely trying to win favor with Vader and wants to become Grand Inquisitor, so part of it seems to be ambition. And Vader was personally directing her so there must be something going on there for him to bypass the hierarchy (it might just be because she's clearly ruthless).

But there does seem to be something personal with Reva also. I subscribe to the theory that she was one of the younglings that escaped in the beginning of the series during Order 66 and something happened along the way to make her turn and resent the Jedi and maybe even Obi Wan specifically. She was hinting at it early in the series talking with Owen with the "it's important to protect your family" stuff.

data

Forbes #1
Finished Stranger Things Volume I.

It was solid. Better than Season 3. First couple episodes were a little bit scrambled developing the separate storylines, but was impressed how they weaved them together by the end.

I thought it recaptured the essence of the first Season that got lost in Season 3

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Obi Wan has essentially cut himself off from the force for 10 years leading up to these events. So he's way out of practice and he's going to be much weaker than Vader, both physically and as a force user, at that point. Vader wouldn't have been able to do that to Obi Wan if Kenobi was at his peak.

Reva is definitely trying to win favor with Vader and wants to become Grand Inquisitor, so part of it seems to be ambition. And Vader was personally directing her so there must be something going on there for him to bypass the hierarchy (it might just be because she's clearly ruthless).

But there does seem to be something personal with Reva also. I subscribe to the theory that she was one of the younglings that escaped in the beginning of the series during Order 66 and something happened along the way to make her turn and resent the Jedi and maybe even Obi Wan specifically. She was hinting at it early in the series talking with Owen with the "it's important to protect your family" stuff.
I don't know why but I have found the Reva character to just feel extremely forced and shallow. I know she is supposed to be scary and powerful but I think she kind of comes off as lame. I'm sure there is a fun backstory to her that we may find out about later but up to this point I think they have failed with her character. I think some of her menacing scenes have just been rushed so you don't ever really get a feel for her.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I don't know why but I have found the Reva character to just feel extremely forced and shallow. I know she is supposed to be scary and powerful but I think she kind of comes off as lame. I'm sure there is a fun backstory to her that we may find out about later but up to this point I think they have failed with her character. I think some of her menacing scenes have just been rushed so you don't ever really get a feel for her.
Racist!

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Racist!
Yeah I saw that there was racist claims with people's displeasure with the character. But you can put a white dude in there and if the acting and dialogue is the same it's still a big old turd sandwhich. The problem isn't race or gender it's just the way they have built up the character.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
The little girl who plays Leia is ridiculous. She looks five, not ten (insert bbgun jokes here), and no kid that age makes profound observations like she does. And in EP2 she sees a hologram and immediately figures out that she was merely bait for luring Kenobi? Da fuk?! No kid is that smart/composed. This is more "Mary Jane" nonsense in the Star Wars world.

Genghis Khan

The little girl who plays Leia is ridiculous. She looks five, not ten (insert bbgun jokes here), and no kid that age makes profound observations like she does. And in EP2 she sees a hologram and immediately figures out that she was merely bait for luring Kenobi? Da fuk?! No kid is that smart/composed. This is more "Mary Jane" nonsense in the Star Wars world.

She definitely looks younger, but I think she's great. I think she's pretty much what you'd expect from Leia as a kid.

And no, she's not a Mary Sue. She hasn't done anything to suggest she's all powerful. She went off by herself and got kidnapped (wrong), ran from Obi Wan (wrong), she asked if Obi Wan was her real father (wrong), she insisted they hitch a ride with someone who turns them in to the Empire (wrong). That's just off the top of my head. Yes , she's headstrong and sarcastic. That's the character. But she's been wrong and made mistakes quite a bit. She doesn't at all seem someone who is wise beyond her years.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
She definitely looks younger, but I think she's great. I think she's pretty much what you'd expect from Leia as a kid.

And no, she's not a Mary Sue. She hasn't done anything to suggest she's all powerful. She went off by herself and got kidnapped (wrong), ran from Obi Wan (wrong), she asked if Obi Wan was her real father (wrong), she insisted they hitch a ride with someone who turns them in to the Empire (wrong). That's just off the top of my head. Yes , she's headstrong and sarcastic. That's the character. But she's been wrong and made mistakes quite a bit. She doesn't at all seem someone who is wise beyond her years.
I never imagined Leia as a precocious brat. I mean, that speech she made to her mean cousin was beyond her years. Hopefully the producers don't screw up young Luke.

Genghis Khan

I never imagined Leia as a precocious brat.

“Governor Tarkin, I should have expected to find you holding Vader’s leash. I recognized your foul stench when I was brought on board.”

" I'm surprised that you had the courage to take the responsibility yourself."

“Aren’t you a little short for a stormtrooper?”

"I don't know who you are or where you came from, but from now on you'll do as I tell you, okay?"

“Will someone get this big walking carpet out of my way?”

“Someone has to save our skins. Into the garbage chute, fly boy.”

"You needn't worry about your reward. If money is all that you love, then that's what you'll receive. Your friend is quite the mercenary. I wonder if he really cares about anything. Or anybody."

“Why, you stuck up, half-witted, scruffy-looking, Nerf-herder!”

“Would it help if I got out and pushed?”

"I don't know where you get your delusions, laser brain."

I mean...

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
“Governor Tarkin, I should have expected to find you holding Vader’s leash. I recognized your foul stench when I was brought on board.”

" I'm surprised that you had the courage to take the responsibility yourself."

“Aren’t you a little short for a stormtrooper?”

"I don't know who you are or where you came from, but from now on you'll do as I tell you, okay?"

“Will someone get this big walking carpet out of my way?”

“Someone has to save our skins. Into the garbage chute, fly boy.”

"You needn't worry about your reward. If money is all that you love, then that's what you'll receive. Your friend is quite the mercenary. I wonder if he really cares about anything. Or anybody."

“Why, you stuck up, half-witted, scruffy-looking, Nerf-herder!”

“Would it help if I got out and pushed?”

"I don't know where you get your delusions, laser brain."

I mean...
Yes, I realize she had a tongue on her, but she shouldn't be that witty/composed as a kid.

Top Bottom