Turner: Draft Day: Cowboys whispers, notes and two team-specific mock drafts

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
[h=1][/h]

By Kevin Turner Apr 25, 2019

We’ve finally made it.

The long pre-draft journey has led us to the three days we’ve all been waiting for. The Cowboys have six picks in this draft, but that number may change as they wheel and attempt to deal. There’s always a lot of buzz throughout the week leading up to the draft, so I thought I’d fill you in on a few things I’ve heard, as well as my thoughts on predictions on this year’s draft.
  • The closer we’ve gotten to the draft, the more and more I feel like we should be prepared for the Cowboys to take a running back on Day 2. Damien Harris of Alabama was a pre-draft visitor to the facility, but I question whether he will even still be on the board at No. 58. Two prospects I’ve recently heard they like are Iowa State runner David Montgomery and Texas A&M’s Trayveon Williams. I still wouldn’t lay down money on Dallas taking an offensive player on Day 2, but keep these players in mind because Montgomery or Williams’s draft range is right around the Cowboys’ third-round pick, 90th overall. While I personally am not a fan of spending a top-100 pick on a backup running back, I think the Cowboys are heavily considering it.

• Despite his poor Pro Day performance, I still think the Cowboys are in on Louisiana Tech defensive end Jaylon Ferguson. It’s odd that just a day before the draft he’s more well known for 8.08 3-cone drill time than being the all-time FBS leader in sacks, but that’s how far we’ve come as a society. Ferguson isn’t going to beat you with his bend, but his hand strength, pass-rush IQ and ability to control the offensive lineman in front of him should lead to a very productive career. For the record, I’m still not convinced he wouldn’t have run a much better time if on a better field, but we’ll save that discussion for another time. Keep Ferguson in mind; I’d guess he and his family have Dallas on their short list of expected destinations.
  • Kyler Murray is going first overall.
  • Defensive end Maxx Crosby from Eastern Michigan is the likeliest Cowboy we haven’t spent much time discussing. I’ve nicknamed Crosby The Human Windmill, as he’s thin, long and all arms right now, but he has a ton of upside and the Cowboys have shown interest. I have a third-round grade on Crosby and think he’s a great fit as a developmental pass-rusher who could really help in 2020. At 6’5 tall and 255 pounds, Crosby accrued 18.5 sacks over the last two seasons. He’s very active, long and energetic, and in the below clips you can see how he wins. Ladies and gentlemen, here is The Human Windmill.

• We haven’t talked much about linebackers because the Cowboys don’t need significant reinforcements at the position, but look for them to draft one. Their visits lead you to Dre Greenlaw of Arkansas and Cole Holcomb of North Carolina, both of which have fifth-round grades. Among those two, I do prefer Holcomb. I’ve also heard whispers about Texas Tech’s Dakota Allen, though I have a seventh-round grade on him.
  • I’m a believer in receipts, so here are my final positional rankings for this year’s draft, with their round grades in parentheses.
QB: Kyler Murray (1), Dwayne Haskins (2), Drew Lock (2), Daniel Jones (2), Will Grier (3), Ryan Finley (4), Gardner Minshew (5), Brett Rypien (5), Jarret Stidham (6), Clayton Thorson (7)

RB: Josh Jacobs (1), Miles Sanders (2), Damien Harris (3), Devin Singletary (3), David Montgomery (4), Darrell Henderson (4), Trayveon Williams (4), Justice Hill (4), Darwin Thompson (5), Elijah Holyfield (5)

WR: Hollywood Brown (2), D.K. Metcalf (2), Kelvin Harmon (2), A.J. Brown (2), Deebo Samuel (3), Andy Isabella (3), N’Keal Harry (3), Hakeem Butler (3), Riley Ridley (3), Parris Campbell (3)

TE: T.J. Hockenson (1), Noah Fant (1), Irv Smith Jr. (2), Jace Sternberger (2), Dawson Knox (2), Dax Raymond (3), Josh Oliver (3), Kehale Warring (3), Isaac Nauta (4), Kaden Smith (5)

OL: Jonah Williams (1), Andre Dillard (1), Cody Ford (1), Garrett Bradbury (1), Jawaan Taylor (1), Elgton Jenkins (2), Eric McCoy (2), Greg Little (2), Dru Samia (2), Tytus Howard (2)

DT: Quinnen Williams (1), Ed Oliver (1), Jeffrey Simmons (1), Jerry Tillery (2), Christian Wilkins (2), Dexter Lawrence (2), Rashan Gary (2), Trysten Hill (3), Renell Wren (4), Dre’Mont Jones (4)

DE: Nick Bosa (1), Josh Allen (1), Clelin Ferrell (1), Brian Burns (2), Montez Sweat (2), Jachai Polite (2), Jaylon Ferguson (2), Anthony Nelson (2), Maxx Crosby (3), Zach Allen (3)

LB: Devin White (1), Devin Bush (2), Germaine Pratt (2), Mack Wilson (2), Jahlani Tavai (3), Te’Von Coney (3), Blake Cashman (3), Vosean Joseph (4), Cameron Smith (4), Sione Takitaki (5)

CB: Byron Murphy (1), Greedy Williams (1), Rock Ya-Sin (1), D’Andre Baker (2), Justin Layne (2), Sean Bunting (2), JoeJuan Williams (2), Trayvon Mullen (3), Amani Oruwariye (3), Isaiah Johnson (3)

S: Nasir Adderly (2), Taylor Rapp (2), Juan Thornhill (2), Chauncey Gardner-Johnson (2), Johnathan Abram (2), Dieonte Thompson (3), Darnell Savage (3), Sheldrick Redwine (4), Jaquan Johnson (4), Malik Gant (5)
  • The Cowboys’ draft journey could wind in a number of directions, so we decided to mix it up with not one, but two Cowboys mock drafts!
Round 2, #58: Jaylon Ferguson — DE, Louisiana Tech

Round 3, #90: Trayveon Williams — RB Texas A&M

Round 4, #128: Daniel Wise — DT, Kansas

Round 4, #136: Dax Raymond — TE, Utah State

Round 5, #165: Penny Hart — WR, Georgia State

Round 7, #241: Dakota Allen — LB, Texas Tech

Alternatively:

Round 2, #58: Juan Thornhill — S, Virginia

Round 3, #90: Mecole Hardman — WR, Georgia

Round 4, #128: Renell Wren — DT, Arizona State

Round 4, #136: Chris Westry — CB, Kentucky

Round 5, #165: Mike Weber — RB, Ohio State

Round 7, #241: Darius Harris — LB, Middle Tennessee State

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Ferguson does not bend well when I watch him, which is probably indicative of the terrible 3-cone that he ran. Other than that I don't think his workout numbers are too terrible for someone his size, he ran a 4.83 at 270 while I'm pretty sure our very own Demarcus Lawrence ran something like a 4.8 at about 250.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ferguson does not bend well when I watch him, which is probably indicative of the terrible 3-cone that he ran. Other than that I don't think his workout numbers are too terrible for someone his size, he ran a 4.83 at 270 while I'm pretty sure our very own Demarcus Lawrence ran something like a 4.8 at about 250.
It's not the 40 that concerns me as much as the numbers that indicate a guys speed and acceleration in a short distance. Something I think could be overlooked if he was putting up monster numbers in the Big 10, SEC or ACC. But when it's against teams like North Texas it makes you wonder if he really is explosive enough to go against the big boys. I do think that his workout was hampered by wet conditions if I remember correctly.

Top Bottom