Training Camp/OTA's Chatter Thread...

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Maybe Garrett was right in canceling the conditioning test.
Leary apparently wasn't prepared to do the drills. He would have been better just begging off until he got ready. He may have just accelerated an injury that may have happened anyway. If you aren't in shape to do the drill fall back.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
So no one put two and two together that by having the team leaders hold the conditioning test instead of the coaches, we got it out of the way a day early?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Mid-Day Report: No Timetable For McClain Return

Posted 2 hours ago

David Helman

DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

OXNARD, Calif. – Cowboys coach Jason Garrett took the podium on Day 3 of Cowboys training camp Friday, just one day before the team dons pads for the first time.

The Cowboys went through their typical team walkthrough Friday morning, with one more light practice slated for Friday evening.

The leading news item of the morning was the conviction of Rolando McClain for resisting arrest and disorderly conduct in April 2013. McClain, who the Cowboys acquired from Baltimore in a trade July 1, has not practiced yet with the Cowboys. The former first-round pick had to return to Alabama for the court date, as his attempt to delay the trial for training camp was refused. He has been arrested in his home state of Alabama three times since 2011.

McClain was sentenced to 18 days in jail, but he’ll appeal that ruling. Garrett said Thursday the Cowboys expected him back at training camp for the weekend, but on Friday was unsure of how the ruling impacted those logistics.

Garrett repeated, however, that he felt good about the decision to bring the troubled linebacker into the fold.

“We got our arms around Rolando’s situation by talking to a lot of people that we know and trust,” he said. “We felt like we made a trade that was a very low-risk deal for us on a position that’s one that we feel like we need to create competition.”

Here are some other highlights from Garrett’s press conference:
•Tony Romo will participate less in Friday’s afternoon practice than he did in Thursday’s. Garrett said the Pro Bowler will take a backseat in order to be mindful of the team’s “two-a-day setup” and make sure Romo isn’t overexerting himself.
•Romo participated in the Cowboys’ full-practice walkthrough on Thursday evening, which goes along with his workload from the spring. Garrett said it’s good to see him acclimate to full-team environment, though it wasn’t full speed or competitive.
•Garrett said he highlighted Morris Claiborne for his early work during a team meeting Thursday night. He added that Claiborne made great gains during the offseason program, especially considering he was coming off a shoulder surgery.
•Touching again on the loss of key veterans like DeMarcus Ware and Miles Austin, Garrett said the Cowboys’ roster is much younger than it was three years ago. He said it’s good for fostering competition.

•The Cowboys “like” the problem of trying to find a role for Lance Dunbar. Garrett said he’d feel confident running his normal offense with Lance Dunbar as the primary back, but there’s no denying the speedster’s skillset.
•“It’s time for him to step up and take advantage of this opportunity and do it on a consistent basis,” was Garrett’s response to the play of Bruce Carter. The fourth-year linebacker is one of the focal points of the need for defensive improvement, as he’ll resume his role as weak side linebacker.
•Furthering that point, Garrett said Carter plays fast, confidently and decisively when he knows what he’s seeing. He said Carter has to be able to play with that confidence, which he can further with understanding.
•Garrett said Cole Beasley has “matured physically,” despite being a smaller player. “He looks stronger to me,” Garrett said. That strength should help him with the more physical aspects of the position, such as escaping press coverage.
--------------------

This comment about Beasley confuses me. Is Garrett saying he finally entered puberty?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Touching again on the loss of key veterans like DeMarcus Ware and Miles Austin, Garrett said the Cowboys’ roster is much younger than it was three years ago. He said it’s good for fostering competition.
More proof that contracts dictate who played and who did not. "Competition" is a hollow word in the Dallas lexicon.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Ruh roh.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

:lol

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
More proof that contracts dictate who played and who did not. "Competition" is a hollow word in the Dallas lexicon.
I wish I could find the Jerry Jones quote from years back that stated this in no uncertain terms. Contracts determine who play in Dallas thanks to a lazy, egotistical, and stubborn front office.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Dallas Cowboys LB Rolando McClain says Jerry Jones ‘convinced me I could play again’
By Rainer Sabin

rsabin@dallasnews.com
1:44 pm on July 26, 2014 |

OXNARD, Calif. — Rolando McClain didn’t try to tell Jerry Jones he was ready for one more chance to play pro football.

Rather, McClain said, it was the Cowboys owner who persuaded the linebacker that he was ready to return to the game.

“He convinced me that I could play again,” McClain said. “He called me from Turkey. I figured that had to be an expensive phone. It was pretty serious for me from that point.”

On July 1, Baltimore gave the Cowboys the rights to McClain and a 2015 seventh-round draft pick in exchange for a 2015 sixth-round choice. It was seen as a low-risk move because the Cowboys needed help at linebacker in wake of Sean Lee’s injury and McClain was a top 10 pick in 2010. Of course, McClain’s price was reduced because he was arrested three times in a 16-month span and retired twice. On Friday, he was found guilty of disorderly conduct and resisting arrest in an Alabama court.

Now, McClain hopes to resurrect his derailed career while paying back Nick Saban for the endorsement he gave the Cowboys organization before the trade was consummated.

“I love the guy to death,” McClain said of the Alabama coach. “We’ve got a good relationship. I can’t let him down. He stuck his neck out there for me.”
----------------

So Jerry Jones is selling players on their own ability to come back and play. Wow.

p1_

DCC 4Life

Wow.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
Three thoughts on Day 3 of Cowboys camp

July, 26, 2014

By Jean-Jacques Taylor | ESPNDallas.com

OXNARD, Calif. -- Three thoughts on Day 3 of Dallas Cowboys’ training camp:

1. One of the themes early in training camp revolves around how the Cowboys are going to fix a defense that yielded 415.3 yards and 27 points per game last year. Especially when you consider DeMarcus Ware (to the Denver Broncos) and Jason Hatcher (Washington Redskins) are gone and Sean Lee (knee) will spend the season on injured reserve.

The Cowboys believe they’ll be better because they’re going to play fast, fundamentally sound and rotate in a lot of guys. All of that sounds like Coachspeak 101.

What it really means is they’re focused more than ever in putting guys in positions to succeed -- even if it means fewer plays for some players. And they want every player to understand the playbook so well that they can play free and easy and react instead of think.

Some of that can compensate for inferior talent, but if the Cowboys don’t get better performances from several guys all the fundamentals in the world won’t matter.

2. The Cowboys will continue their quest to force more turnovers this season. Jason Garrett calls it the single more important statistic in football -- and he’s right.

The Cowboys were 5-1 when they forced at least two turnovers last season and they were 3-1 when they scored a defensive touchdown. The only loss? When Detroit rallied from 10 down in the final four minutes to win.

The Cowboys were tied for 13th with 28 turnovers forced last season. They did an excellent job stripping the ball, but you have to wonder how many passes they’ll intercept this season.

Interceptions are usually the result of quarterbacks making poor decisions under duress.

Defensive tackle Henry Melton is the only proven pass-rusher and he’s never had more than seven sacks. George Selvie had seven last season, doubling his career total.

But Melton is coming off torn ACL and Selvie must prove last season was no fluke.

3. In 2012, Dez Bryant caught two passes for 11 yards from the slot. Last year, he caught 11 passes for 209 yards.

Perhaps, we’ll see him in there a little more where he doesn’t have to deal with press coverage.

Tony Romo threw only 73 play-action passes last season, one of the league's lowest totals.

You would think having a better offensive line and using DeMarco Murray more this season would create more opportunities to throw play-action passes. Romo completed 43 of those passes for 572 yards and six touchdowns with no interceptions. For what it’s worth, Peyton Manning threw 168 play-action passes.

He completed 116 for 1,971 yards with 18 touchdowns and three interceptions.

Player to Watch: Dwayne Harris
Harris has made himself the Cowboys’ best special teams player. Now, he’d like a bigger role in the offense.

To do so, Harris said he needs to become a more polished route runner. Harris has 11 punt returns of 20 yards or more in the last two seasons, among the league’s highest totals.

Garrett said he’s made himself a more valuable player by becoming more consistent in his work habits. Still, he's going to have to maneuver ahead of Cole Beasley to get more opportunities and that's going to be hard to do.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Rotation is this defense's only chance. Because player for player, it is a pathetic piss poor mess of mediocrity.

Cotton

Staff member
Rotation is this defense's only chance. Because player for player, it is a pathetic piss poor mess of mediocrity.
Still holding out hope for Lawrence. If he can get some pressure, we might be middle of the pack this year.

Cotton

Staff member

:towel

Cotton

Staff member

Top Bottom