Tornado in Moore, OK

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Your only hope in a tornado above an F2 is underground, or in an above ground concrete bunker (min. 9" concrete with rebar tied to the footer and into the roof). Anything framed with wood or steel is useless with a direct hit. Some steel framed buildings can offer some protection at the very inner wall sections, but usually people are killed from the falling steel trusses or beams. I was on an engineering committee that studied the effects of hurricane and tornado force winds on building structures. It is mind blowing what kind of force a 200mph wind exerts on a building.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
This video is cah-ra-zy.

This is why I would never live in Oklahoma. Or Texas.

Or Kansas. Iowa. Any of those places that get a lot of tornadoes. They can still happen where I live, but it is pretty rare.

When I was a kid in Texas, I used to get scared shitless everytime we had them.

I have nightmares about them to this day still.

If they ever was a clown tornado, and I saw it...I would just end it all right there.

Carl

RIP Brother
This is why I would never live in Oklahoma. Or Texas.

Or Kansas. Iowa. Any of those places that get a lot of tornadoes. They can still happen where I live, but it is pretty rare.

When I was a kid in Texas, I used to get scared shitless everytime we had them.

I have nightmares about them to this day still.

If they ever was a clown tornado, and I saw it...I would just end it all right there.
Right, I hear constant talk about the earthquakes in Cali. We have had two in what, 50 years....the next one will happen, but in the meantime, tornadoes, storms, outages plague the rest of the company. We are OK, over here.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Right, I hear constant talk about the earthquakes in Cali. We have had two in what, 50 years....the next one will happen, but in the meantime, tornadoes, storms, outages plague the rest of the company. We are OK, over here.
You need to keep a boat in your yard though for the big one that slides you and the golden state into the Pacific. :unsure

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I lived in Oklahoma City 15 years and it's never been this bad. We had the storms in May 1999 but they weren't followed up by more tornadoes and heavy flooding a week later.

Growing up as a kid in OKC we had some severe thunderstorms but never a tornado. At least not a significant one that caused millions in damages and loss of life.

Booze, the central Texas area is not bad. I'd say it's probably one of the safest areas to live in terms of not being impacted by natural disasters. It's hot as hell but tornadoes are very rare, you're not impacted by hurricanes that have rolled into the Gulf, and quakes are pretty much non-existent.

But Lubbock and the Texas panhandle......feh. Might as well be in Oklahoma or Colorado. Snow, Ice, tornadoes, quakes......the rest of Texas laughs at the panhandle. Wannabe Texans.

~lights fuse and runs

Last edited:

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
The only thing you get from the Hurricanes is the rain but even thats not bad. Coming from West Texas I had to get used to the humidity and yes the summers can bake you.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I lived in Oklahoma City 15 years and it's never been this bad. We had the storms in May 1999 but they weren't followed up by more tornadoes and heavy flooding a week later.

Growing up as a kid in OKC we had some severe thunderstorms but never a tornado. At least not a significant one that caused millions in damages and loss of life.

Booze, the central Texas area is not bad. I'd say it's probably one of the safest areas to live in terms of not being impacted by natural disasters. It's hot as hell but tornadoes are very rare, you're not impacted by hurricanes that have rolled into the Gulf, and quakes are pretty much non-existent.

But Lubbock and the Texas panhandle......feh. Might as well be in Oklahoma or Colorado. Snow, Ice, tornadoes, quakes......the rest of Texas laughs at the panhandle. Wannabe Texans.

~lights fuse and runs
Growing up in Iowa we had tornadoes all the time but honestly none of them were even scary. I mean we would always go in the basement but I can't ever remember them causing mass destruction in Iowa. Only recently in Missouri have I been anywhere close to a truly devastating tornado and that was the one that hit Joplin MO.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
The only thing you get from the Hurricanes is the rain but even thats not bad. Coming from West Texas I had to get used to the humidity and yes the summers can bake you.
Oh forgot to add. .... the idiot off duty GIs when they get behind the steering wheel.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

~lights fuse and runs
~slowly lowers pimp hand and walks away~

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
'Storm Chasers' stars killed in Oklahoma tornado

June 2, 2013, 1:13 PM EST
By Todd Cunningham

Discovery's "Storm Chasers" stars Tim Samaras and Carl Young and Samaras's son, Paul, were killed during an Oklahoma storm, the network said Sunday.

"We are deeply saddened by the loss of Tim Samaras his son Paul and their colleague Carl Young. Our thoughts and prayers go out to their families," the network said in a statement.

The trio were killed while chasing a tornado in the city of El Reno on Friday, according to CNN. Samaras was 55 and his son was 24 years old. Samaras' partner Young was 45.

Samaras said that tornadoes had fascinated since childhood, in an interview with National Geographic last month.

"I watched 'The Wizard of Oz' when I was a kid and vowed to myself, 'I'm going to see that tornado one day.' Tornadoes have pretty much become a focus of my life," he said.

An Oklahoma tornado special airing on Discovery on Sunday will be dedicated to the storm chasers, it will read: "In memory of Tim Samaras, Carl Young and Paul Samaras who died Friday, May 31st doing what they love, chasing storms."

On his Facebook page, Tim's brother Jim Samaras thanked those who have offered condolences.

"It truly is sad that we lost my great brother Tim and his great son, Paul. Our hearts also go out to the Carl Young family as well as they are feeling the same feelings we are today," he wrote.

"Our hearts also go out to the Carl Young family as well, as they are feeling the same feelings we are today," he added. "They all unfortunately passed away but doing what they LOVED. Chasing tornadoes. I look at it that he is in the 'big tornado in the sky...'"

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Hard to feel sorry for someone when they choose to do something as idiotic as driving into the path of tornadoes.

Cotton

Staff member
Hard to feel sorry for someone when they choose to do something as idiotic as driving into the path of tornadoes.
Yeah, I agree with that. Unless it was their jobs to be there, it's hard to feel bad for them.

data

Forbes #1
Article wasn't specific on how they died. I'm curious to that.

You'd think their vehicle was actually picked up and whisked away by a tornado, but I'm wondering if it was more they hit a pole driving.

Cotton

Staff member
Article wasn't specific on how they died. I'm curious to that.

You'd think their vehicle was actually picked up and whisked away by a tornado, but I'm wondering if it was more they hit a pole driving.
The vehicle was tossed 200 feet from what I understand.

Top Bottom