The Suspensions Thread...

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Too late but at least they are getting it right.

Carp

DCC 4Life
The Friday NFL suspension news is rolling in a few hours earlier than normal this week.

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, Chiefs wide receiver Dwayne Bowe is being suspended one week for violating the league’s substance abuse policy.

He was arrested for possession of marijuana last fall, and had previously been suspended four games for violating the PED policy in 2009.

He’ll miss the opener against the Titans, but can continue to practice and play in the preseason.

If nothing else, that will give him time to rest his finger, which according to Andy Reid is “shot.”

But it also puts the Chiefs offense in a difficult spot in the opener

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Chiefs starting RT Donald Stephenson and Denver K Matt Prater also got slapped with four game suspensions.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I heard Prater's suspension was due to him having a few beers at home.

No DUI.

Not being drunk and disorderly.

Just having a few brews at home earned him a 4 game ban. That's some harsh BS, IMO. I get it he had a DUI in 2011 and was entered into some sort of alcohol program but there has got to be some sort of leeway particularly when you haven't broken a single law.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

No DUI.

Just having a few brews at home earned him a 4 game ban. That's some harsh BS, IMO. I get it he had a DUI in 2011 and was entered into some sort of alcohol program but there has got to be some sort of leeway particularly when you haven't broken a single law.
Yea, that's ridiculous.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

No DUI.

Damn that's a bit extreme

Cotton

Staff member

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Can you imagine getting suspended a full year just for drinking beer at home. :lol

Cotton

Staff member
Prater’s suspension raises plenty of questions

Posted by Mike Florio on August 24, 2014, 2:07 PM EDT

One the surface, the news that Broncos kicker Matt Prater will be suspended four games under the substance-abuse policy doesn’t generate much curiosity. For most players suspended under the substance-abuse policy, the first sign of any trouble comes via the news of a four-game suspension.

Prater’s case has some unique facts that invite plenty of questions, however.

As first reported by Mike Klis of the Denver Post, Prater’s violation relates to alcohol. Absent more specifics, it’s impossible to know whether Prater generated a positive urine test for alcohol or violated the policy in some other way.

A positive test for alcohol would be somewhat unusual, given the speed with which alcohol leaves the body. In this case, Prater’s consumption would have occurred very close in time to the test, if he indeed generated a positive test.

The bigger question comes from the news, as also first reported by Klis, that Prater faced a one-year suspension, but that with the help of unofficial Broncos lawyer Harvey Steinberg the suspension was reduced to four games. This implies that the reduction came via negotiations between the NFL and Steinberg, and that Steinberg must have had some strong ammunition to persuade the league to cut the punishment by 75 percent.

A proposed one-year suspension for Prater also would be very unusual, given that a player typically doesn’t face a one-year suspension under the substance-abuse policy without a prior suspension. It’s possible that the league accused Prater of shenanigans relating to the testing process; that’s reportedly what transpired a year ago, when linebacker Von Miller’s proposed one-year suspension under the substance-abuse policy was reduced to six games, thanks in part (reportedly) to wrongdoing committed by the NFL’s sample collector.

The news that Steinberg achieved a 12-game reduction for Prater could be viewed as good news for Browns receiver Josh Gordon, who currently faces a one-year suspension. But if Prater’s reduced suspension arose from negotiations between the NFL and Steinberg, the development has no current relevance to Gordon, since no negotiations have occurred between the NFL and Gordon’s representatives on something other than a full-year banishment.

Regardless, the Prater suspension raises more questions than it answers.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

No DUI.

Alcohol isn't a banned substance though. Not exactly sure how that works.

D

Deuce

Alcohol isn't a banned substance though. Not exactly sure how that works.
I think it is if you're already in the league program and if he's getting suspended now, it's because he is in the program from past failed tests.

Cotton

Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
NFL announces Gordon suspension

Posted by Mike Florio on August 27, 2014, 12:55 PM EDT

It’s official. The NFL has suspended Browns receiver Josh Gordon for a full year, effective immediately.

The banishment, first proposed more than three months ago and languishing on appeal until today, has been announced by the league.

“Appeals officer Harold Henderson has upheld the suspension for the 2014 NFL season of Cleveland Browns wide receiver Josh Gordon for violating the NFL Policy and Program for Substances of Abuse,” the NFL said in a statement. “The suspension is effective immediately. Gordon’s eligibility for reinstatement will be determined following the 2014 season.”

Gordon, whose suspension comes under the substance-abuse policy, likewise has issued a statement acknowledging the situation.

““I’’d like to apologize to my teammates, coaches, the Cleveland Browns organization and our fans,” Gordon said. “I am very disappointed that the NFL and its hearing officer didn’’t exercise better discretion and judgment in my case. I would like to sincerely thank the people who have been incredibly supportive of me during this challenging time, including my family, my agent, my union, my legal team, and the Cleveland Browns staff.””

Gordon will need even more support over the next year, since he will be prohibited from receiving any assistance from the NFL or the Browns. It’s a sad situation, with Gordon banished for smoking a substance that is legal in two of the 22 states in which the NFL does business. At a time when he may have an addiction.

At a time when Ray Rice will miss only two games for knocking out his then-fiancée, now wife.

Cotton

Staff member
I think it's a bit much.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Yes...Florio says he may have an addiction, but weed is not something you physically become addicted to. Alcohol? Maybe...but not sure how a guy with a suspension looming, then gets a DUI, now he tries to get a lesser suspension? Sorry...my heart does not bleed for him. Maybe this is the wake up call he needs.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
He was also kicked out of Baylor as well after two instances with Marijuana. I dont have any problem with the suspension but I do hope that he wakes up. Just dont think it will happen.

Cotton

Staff member
Aldon Smith got 9 games.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I have no problem with it either.

This line in particular irks the shit outta me, and I'm all about the herbs.

“I am very disappointed that the NFL and its hearing officer didn’’t exercise better discretion and judgment in my case.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
NFL suspends 49ers OLB Aldon Smith nine games

Tom Pelissero, USA TODAY Sports 4:44 p.m. EDT August 29, 2014

The San Francisco 49ers will have to play more than half the regular season without one of the game's dominant pass rushers.

The NFL announced Friday it has suspended 49ers linebacker Aldon Smith for the first nine games of the season following multiple off-field incidents that violated the league's substance abuse and personal conduct policies.

A person with knowledge of the process, speaking on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the situation, said Smith's representatives and the league reached a settlement that allows him to be at the team facility and in meetings during his suspension.

The suspension didn't come down until Friday because talks were ongoing, the person said, and the final sticking point was whether the ban would be eight or nine games – four games for the substance-abuse violation and either four or five for personal conduct.

"Our organization has known this decision would come and we have prepared for it as a team," 49ers general manager Trent Baalke said in a statement issued through the team.

"Aldon has taken responsibility for his actions and has continued to show growth personally and professionally. We will continue to support him, but it is time to put this matter behind us and focus on the season ahead."

Smith, who has 42 sacks in 43 career regular-season games, will be eligible to return to the 49ers' active roster Nov. 10. Three of the 49ers' six NFC West divisional games are during those first nine games, but Smith will be back for both matchups with the reigning Super Bowl champion Seattle Seahawks.

The 49ers also will start the season without standout linebacker NaVorro Bowman, who is on the reserve/physically unable to perform list as he recovers from knee reconstruction surgery, meaning he'll be out until at least Week 7.

Smith, 24, pleaded no contest in May to three felony charges of possessing illegal assault rifles and misdemeanor DUI, stemming from separate incidents in 2012 and 2013. He was sentenced last month to 235 hours of community service and three years of probation and will spend 11 Mondays on a sheriff's work crew.

Smith also was arrested in April after an incident at Los Angeles International Airport after he allegedly made a bomb threat, but no criminal charges were brought.

The DUI arrest Sept. 20 – two days before the 49ers hosted a game against the Indianapolis Colts – was Smith's second since he entered the NFL, though the charge from a January 2012 incident was reduced to reckless driving because he qualified for a diversion program.

Smith played in the Colts game but missed the next five while seeking treatment for substance-abuse issues. As with most first-time offenders, the NFL waited to mete out discipline until the legal process had run its course.

The 49ers open the season at Dallas on Sept. 7.

Top Bottom