The OTA/Mini Camp Thread...

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
He had athleticism, but he had no instincts.
Yeah, the vids of him running across the field and jumping for the ball are what sold me. That dude could get up there, and had seemingly good hands.

I don't know if it was our coaching, the pro game was too much for him, or what. But as soon as he put on our helmet he looked lost. Always out of position and looking like ass.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I seem to recall similar camp buzz about Watkins that we are hearing now about Wilcox.

Then Watkins got his confidence shattered by Parcells after his second game.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I seem to recall similar camp buzz about Watkins that we are hearing now about Wilcox.

Then Watkins got his confidence shattered by Parcells after his second game.
Yea, Parcells didn't do him any favors.

After he gave up that 90-something yard TD to the Eagles in week 4, Parcells was pretty much done with him.

You know what else I remember about that play? Greg Ellis missing what should have been a sack at the 1 yard line. I really hated that guy.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
You know what else I remember about that play? Greg Ellis missing what should have been a sack at the 1 yard line. I really hated that guy.
That whiff was inexcusable. McNabb basically just ducked and threw the bomb without missing a beat. Ellis was a loser.

Lotuseater

Banned
Not really. I think still think you have overstated on the player, but take it as a victory.
Nice! Yes, I know saying he's the best prospect we have drafted in years isn't saying much, because of the guys this team has brought in at safety, but that doesn't make it any less true.

That's why I was glad to get him because he is literally the best prospect we have had since we drafted Roy Williams and we have really needed to figure out how to draft at safety.

I'm hoping Wilcox is a player, because this team is due some good luck there for a change and I really like the way Wilcox plays.

Lotuseater

Banned
We could easily be saying that about Wilcox in a few years.
Wilcox has outstanding instincts. I don't think we'll be saying that.

This kid is going to start too, watch. You heard it here.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Wilcox has outstanding instincts.

:lol You really are off the deep end about this guy.

He's played one year of safety at Georgia Southern. If his instincts at safety are "outstanding" already, then we just drafted Ronnie Lott.

Carp

DCC 4Life

He's played one year of safety at Georgia Southern. If his instincts at safety are "outstanding" already, then we just drafted Ronnie Lott.
Right. I hope the guy is a player, but to say such things about the guy already is really jumping the gun.

Lotuseater

Banned

I'm just saying, its been almost unanimous that his instincts are what made him such an intriguing prospect coming out, even though he only played one year. The instincts he showed at the senior bowl were what raised his draft stock in the first place.

If your gonna knock a player, fine, but do it intelligently at least.

Lotuseater

Banned
Right. I hope the guy is a player, but to say such things about the guy already is really jumping the gun.
Hey, I've tapped the brakes, but there's no stopping it. I'm convinced he is going to be a very good player for us. We shall see.

If I'm wrong, ill be the first one to call him out.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I did not read much about his instincts making him an appealing prospect...it was more with his tackling and aggressiveness, not safety instincts.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

I think the fact that he played well enough to even be considered an NFL prospect is outstanding in of itself considering he was a running back just one year prior. He'd have to have good instincts to make that transition in such a short amount of time.

I think the Cowboys drafted him a round early, but to even be considered a 4th round prospect (instead of a 3rd) usually means you started at least as a DB your whole college career.

Carp

DCC 4Life
WEAKNESSES - Wilcox lacks instincts and physicality in man coverage, which is not surprising considering he was a WR before 2012. When he allows his man a free release off the LOS our out of his break in man coverage, he struggles to stay with him in transition, and lacks the makeup speed to close the difference. He also at times is caught guessing on his man's initial move, making him susceptible to double moves when matched up one on one. From zone he allows too many catches in front because of his average closing ability, and when he is in position he does not consistently use his length to his advantage to break up passes. While consistently in position to make plays against the run, at times he leaves his feet and misses the ball carrier entirely.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

I think instincts are something you are born with. So the one year of safety shouldn't really affect it at all. It's like a RB, you either have it or you don't. Playing more RB doesn't necessarily make your instincts any better. It's the technique and knowledge of the game that he still has a lot of learning to do. I have some hope for Wilcox but it is way too early. I need to at least see a couple good preseason performances out of him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
WEAKNESSES - Wilcox lacks instincts and physicality in man coverage, which is not surprising considering he was a WR before 2012. When he allows his man a free release off the LOS our out of his break in man coverage, he struggles to stay with him in transition, and lacks the makeup speed to close the difference. He also at times is caught guessing on his man's initial move, making him susceptible to double moves when matched up one on one. From zone he allows too many catches in front because of his average closing ability, and when he is in position he does not consistently use his length to his advantage to break up passes. While consistently in position to make plays against the run, at times he leaves his feet and misses the ball carrier entirely.
So basically he sucks at everything? It's a miracle anyone invited him to the Senior Bowl.

Top Bottom