The inside story of how La'el Collins became a Dallas Cowboy

hstour

Brand New Member
People keep saying Leary wore down at the end of the year, the job he did on Suh says otherwise.

The player that wore down looking at his play was Martin admittedly he was banged up but he did struggle more late in the year.
And was still an All Pro. Most rookies are not as good in Dec simply because they are not used to the 16 game season.

hstour

Brand New Member
Just saying everybody is not plug and play and to rush Collins ahead of a player who has demonstrated an ability to work well within this system and play at a high level is fooloish.
Absolutely agree. Like I have said, EVERYONE is projecting at this point. Let it play out.

But wouldn't it be a great place to be to have Collins beat him out AND have Leary for a backup?

I'm not in the trade Leary for a running back section. You keep that kind of talent as a backup when you can. Injuries ARE going to happen. Dropoffs because of them don't have to.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Absolutely agree. Like I have said, EVERYONE is projecting at this point. Let it play out.

But wouldn't it be a great place to be to have Collins beat him out AND have Leary for a backup?

I'm not in the trade Leary for a running back section. You keep that kind of talent as a backup when you can. Injuries ARE going to happen. Dropoffs because of them don't have to.
Or we could have Leary step up an keep his job and have an awesome G/T swing backup in Collins. It's a no-lose situation.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
A backup the caliber of Leary is a luxury and likely a waste. The only reason I think you'd keep him is if you are not sure Collins can step in and be a viable starter right away. Otherwise, you trade him. Especially on the online, where the backup generally doesn't play other than injury or ineffectiveness. And you'll have a disgruntled Leary on the bench.

If there's an injury... eh, I'll take my chances with bernardeau and have a decent future pick in my pocket.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'm not trading Leary just to trade him, but I'm definitely seeing what he can bring me.

There is no way you can make the argument that a starting-caliber backup interior lineman is more valuable than a starting-caliber starting running back.

If you can get a back who is a significant upgrade (or a starting DT, or a starting safety, etc) for Leary you do it.

What you want to avoid is a trade that you should realize you are losing, like when we traded Kevin Mathis (who went on to play many productive seasons in Atlanta) for Chris Bordano (who was a waste of space).

But if you can get a young-ish RB like Lamar Miller, go for it.

The decision is made that much easier because Bernadeau is here. So you can't claim that you are scraping the bottom of the barrel if an injury occurs, because Bernadeau is a solid backup who at least won't embarrass you if he has to play.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Four IFs:

1) Collins and Green emerge through camp as what we thought they were. Collins pushes Leary to swing guard along with Bernadeau.

2) OL healthy through preseason game 3.

3) Dallas gets poor production from the RBs on its roster or one of the free agents (Johnson, Moreno, etc.)

4) Miller (or fill-in-the-blank solid RB or DL trade target) is healthy and affordable.

The only thing that makes this palatable is Leary's contract.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I'm not trading Leary just to trade him, but I'm definitely seeing what he can bring me.

There is no way you can make the argument that a starting-caliber backup interior lineman is more valuable than a starting-caliber starting running back.

If you can get a back who is a significant upgrade (or a starting DT, or a starting safety, etc) for Leary you do it.

What you want to avoid is a trade that you should realize you are losing, like when we traded Kevin Mathis (who went on to play many productive seasons in Atlanta) for Chris Bordano (who was a waste of space).

The decision is made that much easier because Bernadeau is here. So you can't claim that you are scraping the bottom of the barrel if an injury occurs, because Bernadeau is a solid backup who at least won't embarrass you if he has to play.
exactly right. If you get a good offer, it is a no brainer.

D

Deuce

I don' know why people just assume Miller will be available. Philbin likes him a lot and he's there only proven back. They certainly won't move him because of Ajayi.

2 backs who aren't starters but I like and would move Leary to get would be Jerrick McKinnon or Branden Oliver.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The Vikings are high on McKinnon, I doubt they trade him, Oliver would be ok.

We should look at Cleveland as a potential trade partner, I'd be happy with either Crowell or West. Giovani Bernard is someone I'd definitely be interested in and the Bengals may be willing to sell with Hill there. I'd also keep tabs on Ronnie Hillman in Denver, they go through RB's like it's nothing and may actually just cut Hillman.

D

Deuce

The Vikings are high on McKinnon, I doubt they trade him, Oliver would be ok.

We should look at Cleveland as a potential trade partner, I'd be happy with either Crowell or West. Giovani Bernard is someone I'd definitely be interested in and the Bengals may be willing to sell with Hill there. I'd also keep tabs on Ronnie Hillman in Denver, they go through RB's like it's nothing and may actually just cut Hillman.
They can like McKinnon all they want, but if they're serious about keeping AP than he isn't needed. You don't take him off the field for McKinnon.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It still blows my mind that we had Ajayi there for the taking and took Wilson.

And here we are talking about trading for guys like McKinnon and Oliver.

That Hitchens clone better pay off in spades.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

:lol

Under three days. I win.

D

Deuce

I like those two as much as I did Ajayi. He wasn't some home run prospect, and that was before the knee concerns.

Top Bottom