The Good, The Bad, The Ugly, and Down the Line

Coach D

Not So New Member
The Good: Well the Cowboys made easy work of a pathetic Eagles team and it looks like the Cowboys "should" be able to win that division since they are the best team in that division as of right now. Zeke can still pound it and Pollard could start on 90% of the teams in the NFL. They pretty much did what they did last week, a lot of yards on the ground and once again a very efficient Dak. The defense is much improved and they create so many turnovers now that they lead the entire league in that category. Diggs is turning into one of the best all around corners in the league and the best thing about this defense is they don't have all their players yet so it's only going to get better. Kellen Moore continues to impress, Connor McGovern in the backfield as a fullback brilliant! This is the kind of imagination the Cowboys need on offense and it will drive D-coordinators nuts. Once again there is another team out there that is more undisciplined team than the Cowboys, last week the Chargers killed themselves with stupid penalties and this week it was the Eagles.
The Bad: You can't punch it in on the goal line are you kidding me! It might have been a TD but it wasn't clear from the sideline view but still that's no excuse. Still to many guys wide open down the field so it's a good thing that Hurts sucks otherwise it could have been a lot closer, and what's with all the confusion on the goal line, could Ertz get anymore wide open.
The Ugly: You get a pick and then the O-line gets run over in the endzone and you give up a sack, fumble, and a touchdown. Connor Williams and Biadasz played horrible last night. They were either getting run over or they were getting a holding penalty. It's a good thing that the Eagles stink and their play didn't come back to bite the Cowboys in the ***. So what's the excuse this week coaches? What the hell is the deal with the Cowboys clock management don't they know what they're doing out there. They could of gotten the ball back with a minute and a half left on the clock but nope McCarthy lets in tick on down. This needs to be fixed ASAP because even Jason Garrett clock management looks good compared to these guys. Greg Zuerlein really dude another missed PAT. Better get these things straightened out because it will definitely cost the Cowboys down the road.
Down the Line: The Cowboys get the undefeated Panthers at home next week so this will be a good test for both teams, personally I think Carolina is overrated and the Cowboys should be able to beat them up pretty good but we'll see how this week goes because you never know when it comes to the Cowboys who will be suspended, who has Covid, injured, etc.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Welcome to the board.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Nice synopsis.

Most of the issues are definitely things that will bite them in the ass in a one and done or in a game you must have as the season closes. Hopefully they get it worked out. I have more faith in Quinn to fix the D then Meatball who seems to be gaff ridden in his tenure so far with the Cowboys.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
We all love to extrapolate data and previously we haven’t seen enough from Pollard to make any sort of true estimate. Both running backs are doing well this year. Zeke is averaging 4.5 ypc, Pollard is at 6.8. Zeke has 44 carries to Pollards 27.
Compared to other backs across the league:
Player. Carries. YPC
Nick Chubb 48 5.5
Kareem Hunt 29. 5.8
Dalvin Cook 42. 4.6
Alvin Kamara 52 3.4
Derrick Henry 80 4.4
Mccaffrey 52 3.9
Ekeler 35 4.7

Looking at these numbers you could absolutely argue he is at least top 10 if not top 5. You can say that if he got more carries he would tally up some of those no gain or one yarders that hurt the average but even if he had 9 more carries for 0 yards he would be at a 5,2ypc

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
We all love to extrapolate data and previously we haven’t seen enough from Pollard to make any sort of true estimate. Both running backs are doing well this year. Zeke is averaging 4.5 ypc, Pollard is at 6.8. Zeke has 44 carries to Pollards 27.
Player. Carries. YPC
Nick Chubb 48 5.5
Kareem Hunt 29. 5.8
Dalvin Cook 42. 4.6
Alvin Kamara 52 3.4
Derrick Henry 80 4.4
Mccaffrey 52 3.9
Ekeler 35 4.7

Looking at these numbers you could absolutely argue he is at least top 10 if not top 5. You can say that if he got more carries he would tally up some of those no gain or one yarders that hurt the average but even if he had 9 more carries for 0 yards he would be at a 5,2ypc
Geng and NoDak both have it out for Pollard for some reason. He has proven he is an upper tier back. Now, he has his niche. He isn't a back that you can run between the tackles all the time, but neither is McCaffrey. And, he is arguably the best back in the league right now.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Player. Carries. YPC
Nick Chubb 48 5.5
Kareem Hunt 29. 5.8
Dalvin Cook 42. 4.6
Alvin Kamara 52 3.4
Derrick Henry 80 4.4
Mccaffrey 52 3.9
Ekeler 35 4.7

YPC is a TERRIBLE measure of a RB's effectiveness.

Especially for a backup with a backup's volume of carries.

Troy Hambrick averaged 5.1 YPC one year.

It means jack squat.

Here's a good case in point with Pollard. Look at his start against SF last season.

He had 12 carries for 69 yards. That's over 5 YPC which of course is great.

But one of his runs was for 40 yards. Take that one outlier run out and he's at 11 carries for 29 yards, which is 2 something YPC and dreadful.

You'd see that with Joseph Randle too.

I'm not saying Pollard is bad, I think he's pretty good.

But he's not a starter. He's more of a Kamara type who is at his best in a secondary role where they can use him in optimal situations rather than burning him up grinding out yards.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Geng and NoDak both have it out for Pollard for some reason. He has proven he is an upper tier back. Now, he has his niche. He isn't a back that you can run between the tackles all the time, but neither is McCaffrey. And, he is arguably the best back in the league right now.

I don't have it out for Pollard.

He's a good player. He's got some juice to him. I've said that countless times.

I just don't get carried away.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
You’re shittin’ me, right? I have it our for Pollard now? Really?

Quite the opposite, actually. I LOVE Pollard. But I’m not so blind to think he would do as a lead back what he’s doing now. He is absolutely one of the best change of pace/ backups in the league.

Do you think if Pollard was starting, he’d be a top 3 or 4 back in the league? I have serious doubts he’d even be top half.

Last edited:

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
@NoDak 's Pollard hate scares people, that hot-linkin sonofabitch!

data

Forbes #1
how many handies did Iamtdg have to give to get him to sign up?

Poor iamtdg. All those folded wet wipes (not wadded) and carpal tunnel gone to waste with one disparaging post.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do you think if Pollard was starting, he’d be a top 3 or 4 back in the league? I have serious doubts he’d even be top half.
He might be top half depending on the system and team. But RBs all depend on the team they go to. Maybe the guy would be the next Aaron Jones in Green Bay but he could be Kenyon Drake too.

I love him in his current role so why mess with a good thing.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Coach D, we barely knew ye

Top Bottom