The Coronavirus Thread...

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Is that the drug everyone got pissed at Trump for mentioning?

Also I know historically these viruses tend to become weaker as time goes on. Couldn't that be a big part the lower fatality rate and rate of people needing hospitalization? Essentially the virus is becoming less deadly in general?
No, that's hydroxychloroquine. We have stopped using that for a month or two because it wasn't helping and then studies showed the same and it has the potential to cause harm. The FDA recently revoked it's emergency use authorization for COVID.

June 15, 2020 Update: Based on ongoing analysis and emerging scientific data, FDA has revoked the emergency use authorization (EUA) to use hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine to treat COVID-19 in certain hospitalized patients when a clinical trial is unavailable or participation is not feasible. We made this determination based on recent results from a large, randomized clinical trial in hospitalized patients that found these medicines showed no benefit for decreasing the likelihood of death or speeding recovery. This outcome was consistent with other new data, including those showing the suggested dosing for these medicines are unlikely to kill or inhibit the virus that causes COVID-19. As a result, we determined that the legal criteria for the EUA are no longer met. Please refer to the Revocation of the EUA Letter and FAQs on the Revocation of the EUA for Hydroxychloroquine Sulfate and Chloroquine Phosphate for more information.

Remdesivir is a an anti-viral made by Gilead initially developed for Hep C and then tested on Ebola but was effective for neither. China tested in the sickest of the sick and found little benefit. However, I believe we're seeing if it is used earlier it can be effective. Gilead's own trials showed benefits but people are a bit suspicious. Especially after execs likely leaked the results to drive up the stock price and make each other millions.

But hey whatever works. Fortunately safety for the drug was established already. Unfortunately it's an IV drug so it's not going to be something we can give everyone. Would love to give it out liberally. Might decrease mortality, morbidity and shorten the window of infectivity. Hopefully. More studies needed...

Sheik

DCC 4Life
Ah that's right. I get all these drugs confused. My pharmacist friends are constantly mentioning all of them and I can't keep up.
You have pharmacist friends? I’ve never met a pharmacist outside of a pharmacy.

I have friends who sell drugs, but they didn’t go to school for it, or much of any school for that matter.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
No, that's hydroxychloroquine. We have stopped using that for a month or two because it wasn't helping and then studies showed the same and it has the potential to cause harm. The FDA recently revoked it's emergency use authorization for COVID.

June 15, 2020 Update: Based on ongoing analysis and emerging scientific data, FDA has revoked the emergency use authorization (EUA) to use hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine to treat COVID-19 in certain hospitalized patients when a clinical trial is unavailable or participation is not feasible. We made this determination based on recent results from a large, randomized clinical trial in hospitalized patients that found these medicines showed no benefit for decreasing the likelihood of death or speeding recovery. This outcome was consistent with other new data, including those showing the suggested dosing for these medicines are unlikely to kill or inhibit the virus that causes COVID-19. As a result, we determined that the legal criteria for the EUA are no longer met. Please refer to the Revocation of the EUA Letter and FAQs on the Revocation of the EUA for Hydroxychloroquine Sulfate and Chloroquine Phosphate for more information.

Remdesivir is a an anti-viral made by Gilead initially developed for Hep C and then tested on Ebola but was effective for neither. China tested in the sickest of the sick and found little benefit. However, I believe we're seeing if it is used earlier it can be effective. Gilead's own trials showed benefits but people are a bit suspicious. Especially after execs likely leaked the results to drive up the stock price and make each other millions.

But hey whatever works. Fortunately safety for the drug was established already. Unfortunately it's an IV drug so it's not going to be something we can give everyone. Would love to give it out liberally. Might decrease mortality, morbidity and shorten the window of infectivity. Hopefully. More studies needed...
Do you think in 6 months when it’s determined that over 300 million people had the virus in the US and most didn’t know it, and the death rate is now between 0.03% and 0.05%, do you think this whole thing was warranted?

I get that hindsight is 20/20, and without even critiquing the whole ordeal, not politically, or anything, could we look back and say “ welp, that was an unforced error.”. And of course you acknowledge that it was always the best practice to be safe rather than sorry, especially when you’re gambling with lives, so not to criticize anyone, just ask the question without motive.

Do you think that’s possible or even likely?

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Hating the CCP is entirely appropriate.
Then you're already hating 1/4 of the population basically...
Since apparently he hates democrats that is what? 30% of U.S. Citizens? Then if you throw in the usually hated Murderers, rapists, pedophiles, Narcos and I'm hoping Nazis, racists, bigots, et al...
Doesn't leave much wiggle room.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You have pharmacist friends? I’ve never met a pharmacist outside of a pharmacy.

I have friends who sell drugs, but they didn’t go to school for it, or much of any school for that matter.
My best friend went to pharmacy school and I partied with them a lot.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Do you think in 6 months when it’s determined that over 300 million people had the virus in the US and most didn’t know it, and the death rate is now between 0.03% and 0.05%, do you think this whole thing was warranted?

I get that hindsight is 20/20, and without even critiquing the whole ordeal, not politically, or anything, could we look back and say “ welp, that was an unforced error.”. And of course you acknowledge that it was always the best practice to be safe rather than sorry, especially when you’re gambling with lives, so not to criticize anyone, just ask the question without motive.

Do you think that’s possible or even likely?
Well there are 125,000 Americans dead because of this bug. That's with 2.5 million infected. Say that we are off by a factor of 10 about the number of infected. That means 25,000,000 infected or less than 10% of our population. So now let's assume 75% of the population needs to get it before herd immunity develops and it goes away. Then you are talking about over a million dead Americans. You also would completely overwhelm the healthcare system and people simply requiring oxygen therapy would be turned away and perhaps die. The economy would still take an enormous hit because people would be in and out of work and people would still not go to restaurants etc.

If you want to be morbid you can talk about culling the population and the value of a human life. You can point out all of these people would die eventually anyway. Frankly I'm just not wired that way.

I will say based on what we know now about the virus, we should be focusing on masks and social distancing more and less worry about contact precautions. But we just can't get consistent messaging. It's so simple but this message that it's your right to endanger yourself and others if so short-sighted. Just say "all citizens should be wearing masks in public." You don't have to arrest or fine people. 80-90% of people will comply if everyone gives the same message.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Then you're already hating 1/4 of the population basically...
Come on, man. I'm talking about the oppressive political party, not the individual Chinese citizens who have no control over anything. You know that, or should.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Come on, man. I'm talking about the oppressive political party, not the individual Chinese citizens who have no control over anything. You know that, or should.
He knew. He's just being intentionally obtuse.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
I personally know of 6 people who have or had coronavirus.

Of the 6, I know 2 are diabetic. One is 40 year old male, the other is 55-60 year old female. Both are now fine, never hospitalized. Family members, Cousin and Aunt.

2 others, both in their mid 70s, I don’t know their health history in detail, but the man has been a customer of mine for a few years and has had health issues that have landed him in the hospital a few times. Both are on the tail end of their quarantine and claim they are fine.

The other two I don’t know anything about them really, other than their ages, 42ish male and 35ish female. Both are fine and over the virus. Male is related to my cousin and the female is the daughter of the husband and wife mentioned above in their 70s.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner

Of the 6, I know 2 are diabetic. One is 40 year old male, the other is 55-60 year old female. Both are now fine, never hospitalized. Family members, Cousin and Aunt.

2 others, both in their mid 70s, I don’t know their health history in detail, but the man has been a customer of mine for a few years and has had health issues that have landed him in the hospital a few times. Both are on the tail end of their quarantine and claim they are fine.

The other two I don’t know anything about them really, other than their ages, 42ish male and 35ish female. Both are fine and over the virus. Male is related to my cousin and the female is the daughter of the husband and wife mentioned above in their 70s.
That reminds me, so what of the obese cousin or whatever the relation was? Was that story made up like you suspected or did they just recover?

Sheik

DCC 4Life
That reminds me, so what of the obese cousin or whatever the relation was? Was that story made up like you suspected or did they just recover?
The severity was made up. He told our grandmother that he was going to be put on a respirator, but it turns out he was released the same night and had no complications other than slight fever.

He was the one I mentioned above. He got it from his cousin who knowingly had it and was living in his garage. He then gave it to his mom.

He’s a legit dummy and so is his mom. His mom tested negative a few days ago but was told she would have to re-test in 8 days, but where is she currently? Staying the weekend with her mom, my elderly grandmother who has a heart condition.

She’s a dumb bitch.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Just wear a fuckin' mask. Get over yourself and your supposed breathing problems. Quit making it political, it shouldn't be.

This is a public health issue, ya cunt.

But...nice tits.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Just wear a fuckin' mask. Get over yourself and your supposed breathing problems. Quit making it political, it shouldn't be.

This is a public health issue, ya cunt.

But...nice tits.
I'm not wearing a mask, but if a store wants to require them that's cool and their right, I just go somewhere else.

Also would def motorboat

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I'm not wearing a mask, but if a store wants to require them that's cool and their right, I just go somewhere else.

Also would def motorboat
So what if your governor makes it mandatory?

You still gonna be a kickass yee haw rebel?

yimyammer

shitless classpainter

did they talk about what it was like & how long it lasted?

My girlfriend has a friend here in Dallas that claims she's gotten it twice but I dont trust her since she prone to being a drama queen for attention. She even made it on the news.

Hey Lost (or anyone), do we know if people can get the virus twice?

Top Bottom