The Athletic: Cowboys conversation - Who deserves more blame, Jerry Jones or Mike McCarthy?

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Money is and has been the goal and they’re knocking it out of the park. How many times have we heard that this franchise was losing a million dollars per month when Jerry bought it?
Have I ever told you my Love Field credit card story?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I'd go so far as to say three or more first rounders on your OL is borderline irresponsible.

You can't afford to over-index on the OL like that. I could see landing on two first rounders if things just fell that way, but more tells me at least one of the picks was forced (in our case, Frederick).

That's a lazy way to build up front and you should be able to find and develop later round talent at any position except QB.

Dallas is paying the price for not having 1st rounders at other positions, in particular the DL.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
25+ years
1k+ different players.
6 head coaches.
Zero NFCCG appearances.

One constant during that stretch.

Keep recycling coaches and players while ignoring the culture and philosophy that has yielded dick in a quarter century. Money is and has been the goal and they’re knocking it out of the park. How many times have we heard that this franchise was losing a million dollars per month when Jerry bought it?
Yep. No amount of explaining or excuse making changes what you wrote above. The only constant has been Jerry Jones as GM and chief decision maker. Period. Hire a different coach, cycle thru more players. It’s not gonna change a fucking thing. History is the proof.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I'd go so far as to say three or more first rounders on your OL is borderline irresponsible.

You can't afford to over-index on the OL like that. I could see landing on two first rounders if things just fell that way, but more tells me at least one of the picks was forced (in our case, Frederick).

That's a lazy way to build up front and you should be able to find and develop later round talent at any position except QB.

Dallas is paying the price for not having 1st rounders at other positions, in particular the DL.
TBF no one could have seen Frederick retiring as early as he did and if he was still here games work out different imo. He was way better at making the OL calls than Biadasz will ever be

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I just think it’s too much. Same would hold true if you spent them all on another position group, like Washington did with its DL.

Even if you hit on every pick, I think you need maximum surface area for your elite talent to best affect the game. Like when Fred and Zack would double team some poor DL like they often did. Sure, they’d totally cream the guy, but you spent two first round picks to take down one player.

I think it’s better when you spread the talent around and let the great players elevate others around them.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I actually agree with Ravi for the most part. Other than a franchise LT you shouldn't need to take OL so high so often. Generally speaking, I'd rather use those picks on DT or pass rushers. But then I thought for years they neglected defense too much.

I wouldn't say anything negative about the Fred pick, though. He was an incredible player and it's not like they spent a high first on him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I actually agree with Ravi for the most part. Other than a franchise LT you shouldn't need to take OL so high so often. Generally speaking, I'd rather use those picks on DT or pass rushers. But then I thought for years they neglected defense too much.

I wouldn't say anything negative about the Fred pick, though. He was an incredible player and it's not like they spent a high first on him.
Well at this point we haven't taken a first round Olineman in a long time. But I'd also say who gives a shit. An elite player is an elite player in the first round. You'll need to hit on picks outside the first round no matter what. So either way you need to find impact Dlineman/Olineman/WRs or whatever outside of the first.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Well at this point we haven't taken a first round Olineman in a long time. But I'd also say who gives a shit. An elite player is an elite player in the first round. You'll need to hit on picks outside the first round no matter what. So either way you need to find impact Dlineman/Olineman/WRs or whatever outside of the first.
Yes, this. Stick with your board. If it happens to be an OL so be it.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
25+ years
1k+ different players.
6 head coaches.
Zero NFCCG appearances.

One constant during that stretch.

Keep recycling coaches and players while ignoring the culture and philosophy that has yielded dick in a quarter century. Money is and has been the goal and they’re knocking it out of the park. How many times have we heard that this franchise was losing a million dollars per month when Jerry bought it?
Lump Goof Son in with the rest of his father's horseshit. He is no better.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
Lump Goof Son in with the rest of his father's horseshit. He is no better.
It’s the family in it’s entirety. Right down to Gene’s shitty art collection.

It’s a family business and nepotism hotbed that’s highly successful in terms of profiting.

Top Bottom