The Antithesis of Stephen Jones

p1_

DCC 4Life
If you kick the can, don’t you plan on doing something different at some point? There’s no such plan here.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Or hell you at minimum aren't afraid to use up all your cap space to keep high level players like Gregory and Cooper and then still create room to add free agents.
Remember when people argued that Dak should leave money on the table so the Cowboys can sign extra players? :lol Good times.

If I'm Dak , I'm resting comfortably knowing I made the right decision squeezing every nickel possible out of the Joneses. Because now we're seeing that they wouldn't have invested that money into quality free agents.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Remember when people argued that Dak should leave money on the table so the Cowboys can sign extra players? :lol Good times.

If I'm Dak , I'm resting comfortably knowing I made the right decision squeezing every nickel possible out of the Joneses. Because now we're seeing that they wouldn't have invested that money into quality free agents.
Exactly, instead of carrying over 20+ mil in cap space they would be carrying over a few extra million. It makes no difference. The Cowboys would just make up some excuse that they need that money to add free agents during the season and to pay out injury settlements. It's all a load of crap. And on top of it all the cap is going to continue shooting up and Daks contract is quickly getting passed up by other QBs.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Exactly, instead of carrying over 20+ mil in cap space they would be carrying over a few extra million. It makes no difference. The Cowboys would just make up some excuse that they need that money to add free agents during the season and to pay out injury settlements. It's all a load of crap. And on top of it all the cap is going to continue shooting up and Daks contract is quickly getting passed up by other QBs.
Theoretically I'd be trying to extend Dak for 5 years for something around $47-48/year during the season if he starts off playing well. We'd have him under contract for 7 more years and could push a bunch of money into the future with the cap seemingly about to skyrocket, and guys like Herbert and Burrow undoubtedly ready to push for $50+/year in 2ish years.

That's theoretically because you could open up space to make a Super Bowl push over the next 2-4 years with lowered cap hits, but God knows these fools won't do shit with the savings but overpay our own homegrown picks.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Or hell you at minimum aren't afraid to use up all your cap space to keep high level players like Gregory and Cooper and then still create room to add free agents.
Was Gregory ever a high level player, though? High level prospect coming in? Sure. But I wouldn't say he ever reached that level. He flashed in short spurts, but never really carried it through a whole season.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Was Gregory ever a high level player, though? High level prospect coming in? Sure. But I wouldn't say he ever reached that level. He flashed in short spurts, but never really carried it through a whole season.
Never active for more than 14 games thanks to injuries and suspensions, and never played more than 11 games.

He also had six sacks twice. Now in a year where he’ll turn 30 mid season, he’s going to come alive and play every game?

Or will he mainly just smoke pot legally now in Denver?

Amazing the power pedigree has.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
I see it as they’ve found a business model that keeps their business going.

They’ve proven they can be one of the most profitable franchises in sports without having any real success. They don’t have to be risky when it comes to player acquisitions and they don’t have to answer to their fan base.

They can win the division every other year or so and maybe win a playoff game or not, the money still rolls in.

The business model works for them.

Last edited:

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
And the maddening part is there’s no reason to have cap space-the Jones brain trust won’t do anything with it except possibly sign a underperforming player to a stupid contract (Zeke). They’ll never use the cap space to sign veterans who might put the team in the SB. It’s a total exercise in futility for this team.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If you kick the can, don’t you plan on doing something different at some point? There’s no such plan here.
As long as they are ahitting out money, they don’t care.

• Angry
Reactions: p1_

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
And the maddening part is there’s no reason to have cap space-the Jones brain trust won’t do anything with it except possibly sign a underperforming player to a stupid contract (Zeke). They’ll never use the cap space to sign veterans who might put the team in the SB. It’s a total exercise in futility for this team.
The obvious conflict of interest is that every penny of cap space that is not spent lines the owners' pockets.

Since the owners are also the folks directly managing the cap, is it any wonder they do this?

Top Bottom