Texas Police Tase Overweight Asthmatic to Death in Drug Raid That Uncovers No Drugs

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
My favorite are the people who get arrested for resisting arrest. It's funny how freedom of speech doesn't really exist when cops are around.
You equate someone running from a cop or fighting a cop to freedom of speech?

Really?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You equate someone running from a cop or fighting a cop to freedom of speech?

Really?
No it was two separate thoughts really. What usually happens is someone says something that pisses a cop off, so they put them under arrest for no reason, which then leads to them charging the person with resisting arrest.

Happens all too often where I live.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The taser is a two-edged sword. If it wasn't for tasers you can be sure that many more people would be shot instead of tased. The other side of it is the fact that it doesn't usually cause any permanent damage so the cops are way faster to use it than they would be if their only weapon was a gun or a stick.
Tasers are way overused but they also lead to very successful 1983 lawsuits. Especially because there is often video to go along with it.

Cotton

Staff member
No it was two separate thoughts really. What usually happens is someone says something that pisses a cop off, so they put them under arrest for no reason, which then leads to them charging the person with resisting arrest.

Detainment isn't the same as arrest, so your statement is dumb. Regardless, if you have nothing to hide and you fight the cops you are a moron. And, if you are a big enough moron, you might get tazed.

The more important point is the tazer is a much better tool than a gun when trying to subdue someone for fighting the cops. Now, obviously there is corruption even using that tool, but it's way better than shooting someone.

What would you feel is a better option? Bean bags?

Cotton

Staff member
Tasers are way overused but they also lead to very successful 1983 lawsuits. Especially because there is often video to go along with it.
Lawyers.

BipolarFuk

Demoted

Make a cop mad here and they charge you with obstructing an officer and haul your ass to jail.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Detainment isn't the same as arrest, so your statement is dumb. Regardless, if you have nothing to hide and you fight the cops you are a moron. And, if you are a big enough moron, you might get tazed.

The more important point is the tazer is a much better tool than a gun when trying to subdue someone for fighting the cops. Now, obviously there is corruption even using that tool, but it's way better than shooting someone.

I should be able to resist the cops whenever I damn well please if there is no reason for them to be harassing me (think fourth amendment).

The only reason its not smart is because, ya know, they'll kill you. But that's not how it should be.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I have said this before, but you should get mad at the legislators, not the ones enforcing the laws in place.

Cops aren't shooting at murderers 24/7, so they are forced to, you know, enforce other laws like possessing marijuana. And, sometimes, that enforcement leads them to have to use measures like tazing someone instead of shooting them. I am in agreement of that measure.
I'm annoyed at the societal hypocrisy in general, but departmental policy dictates how laws are enforced and what their priorities are. Cops aren't robots running around blindly enforcing laws. Where the cops are and what they are investigating are things that can vary greatly from department to department, depending on the attitude of the upper administration.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You shouldn't be getting detained for no reason. And no I don't accept that cops should be able to detain people when no crime has been committed. You are either extremely blind to the real world or live somewhere where the cops happen to be angels. Unfortunately I have a job where I see cops abuse their power on a daily basis for things based more on a personal vendetta then upholding the law and the safety of the people. Hell I have former cops from the area that will say the same thing. An alleged tensing of the hands turns into a taser being used and a guy being beat to piss.

There is a place for a taser but cops aren't using it appropriately the majority of the time. it's something that should only be used when someone is at high risk of physical harm.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'm going to quote from the very intelligent Lew Rockwell here, in his article entitled "Why the Republicans are doomed."

"[To a Republican] Liberty is fine but order, ORDER, is much more important, and order comes from the state. They can't even fathom the truth that liberty is the mother, not the daughter, of order."

Jiggyfly

Banned

Wow this is you being extremely naive or just willfully ignorant.

The original article in this thread is about a guy in his own home getting tasered after doing nothing to warrant police in said home.

Please explain why he was a moron?

Cotton

Staff member
Wow this is you being extremely naive or just willfully ignorant.

The original article in this thread is about a guy in his own home getting tasered after doing nothing to warrant police in said home.

Please explain why he was a moron?
I wasn't replying to the article, I was replying to a post in this thread.

Top Bottom