Texas high school players suspended, may face charges for hitting referee from behind

townsend

Banned
If the ref was paralyzed I'd be more upset, the radio down here in SA is saying he wasn't even injured. Sure, he "could have been" but we punish for results. Whether it's a football tackle or a punch in the face, assault is treated more or less seriously based on if anyone was seriously hurt.
That's a damn cowardly act though. Going after an old man from behind while you're wearing pads. I can't fathom a human being that shitty, and have any particular argument on hand as to why they shouldn't be shot, other than it being illegal.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
That's a damn cowardly act though. Going after an old man from behind while you're wearing pads. I can't fathom a human being that shitty, and have any particular argument on hand as to why they shouldn't be shot, other than it being illegal.
How about that they are far down the list of people that need to be shot, considering all the other people out there doing worse things.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll give one of them a break for sure since he is a sophomore and probably only 15 years old.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
RAWR!!!#!#!

D

Deuce

There's a video on espn.com where to two boys were interviewed on Good Morning America. They claim their coach gave them instruction to take out the ref. I can't believe anyone who shows such poor life choices as those two with their haircuts.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Yea don't believe either of them, also one of them managed to stay in the game after the hit on the ref due one of the players he ejected was the wrong guy so what does he do? He takes a cheap shot on the Marble Falls qb when they were in victory formation running out the clock

Carl

RIP Brother
I think they should be prosecuted and that's that for their football life. Despicable. Not sure why anyone would make an excuse for this sort of stuff.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think they should be prosecuted and that's that for their football life. Despicable. Not sure why anyone would make an excuse for this sort of stuff.
Because one of them anyway is a kid. Kids make stupid mistakes all the time.

townsend

Banned
Not sure what highschool you went to, but kids got in fights all the time. That's assault.
First of all. I rarely saw kids get into fights in High School and I went to Abilene High (which was a 5A school with a serious football presence and would definitely be called the lower class HS of Abilene) and Hondo High School (which was 3A and part of a rural community, but still a football town). So there's that. Second this isn't a fight. It was a cowardly and unprovoked attack by two man-sized teenagers in pads on an unsuspecting victim.

No telling what kind of damage could have occurred from that, my fiance's father was a former mayor who was permanently crippled by a TBI while serving as a line judge for the local high school football game. It didn't turn out that way, this time, but a an attack like that could have resulted in dire injury. So it's not really comparable to a typical teenage slap fight.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It was a cowardly and unprovoked attack by two man-sized teenagers in pads on an unsuspecting victim.
It was a cowardly act by a child. No question about it. But I went to one of the nicer highschools in Iowa and I can remember a lot of fights. And not just fights where the two guys are facing each other and know what's going to happen. But fights that started with one guy unexpectedly slugging another. It happens with kids who don't have the same impulse controls that adults do. Not trying to make an excuse for the 14 or 15 year old kid but you're pretty amped up in the middle of a football game. I just don't see the point in treating the incident like the kid took a baseball bat to the back of someone's head. That's why the courts have a juvenile court system.

townsend

Banned
It was a cowardly act by a child. No question about it. But I went to one of the nicer highschools in Iowa and I can remember a lot of fights. And not just fights where the two guys are facing each other and know what's going to happen. But fights that started with one guy unexpectedly slugging another. It happens with kids who don't have the same impulse controls that adults do. Not trying to make an excuse for the 14 or 15 year old kid but you're pretty amped up in the middle of a football game. I just don't see the point in treating the incident like the kid took a baseball bat to the back of someone's head. That's why the courts have a juvenile court system.
Well a baseball bat to the head is attempted murder. I don't think that that, or even battery charges apply here. But it's absolutely assault. And this boys will be boys shit is a tired excuse. It wasn't even just a sucker punch, although those can cause TBIs too I'm sure. Even a sucker punch like the one Patmon gave to Dez this summer was provoked. That's way different from two athletes who are NOT children ganging up on someone who had not provoked the physically.

If these kids got a hot head and started trying to throw punches that would be one thing. They collaborated and picked a time when he couldn't defend himself to attack in unison. That's not an issue with impulse control, it's cold blooded, calculating, and cowardly.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
That's not an issue with impulse control, it's cold blooded, calculating, and cowardly.
Yep, and that the one of them that got to stay in the game kept taking cheap shots at players even going so far as hitting the opposing QB when he took a knee to run out the clock shows it wasn't just a one time occurence

townsend

Banned
Now it does suck that for all we know these two boys might grow into perfectly decent men with 10 to 20 years of perspective. That might be true of rapists, school shooters, and Randy Moss as well. But the issue we need to look at there is how to give former violent criminals second chances, not how to let current violent criminals off without proportionate repercussions for their actions.

Top Bottom