Texans Stuff...

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I don't think he endeared himself to Jerry when he said that reg season games don't mean shit.
Yeah that comment plus the comment Jerry made following OBJ's physical with the Cowboys makes me think the Cowboys are no longer interested. Jerry's #1 priority was adding pieces that can help the team in 2022. Odell on the other hand, clearly has his sights set on 2023 and beyond.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Bill Shatner

Lock phasers on target
If we ever spend a first or even a second round pick on a RB again, it ought to be considered drafting malpractice.

Pierce is a 4th rounder grinding out 4.3 ypc on the worst team in the league.

data

Forbes #1
If we ever spend a first or even a second round pick on a RB again, it ought to be considered drafting malpractice.

Pierce is a 4th rounder grinding out 4.3 ypc on the worst team in the league.
4.3 ypc doesn’t necessarily mean anything by itself. Playing for the worst team in the league may make it easier to go 4.3ypc as defenses are okay with 4 yards when they’ve got a multiple score lead. Just sayin :geek

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
4.3 ypc doesn’t necessarily mean anything by itself. Playing for the worst team in the league may make it easier to go 4.3ypc as defenses are okay with 4 yards when they’ve got a multiple score lead. Just sayin :geek
Exactly. I've said it before but YPC is one of the most overrated stats in sports.

First of all, consistency is way more important for a RB and YPC doesn't measure that. Second, there are a lot of factors that go into what influences YPC (situations, how the defense is playing, who the QB is, blocking, down and distance, etc.).

Cotton

Staff member
Cowboys notebook: Latest on Odell Beckham Jr., plus what to watch for against the Texans

Dec 5, 2022; Dallas, Texas, USA; (from left) Dallas Cowboys linebacker Micah Parsons (white hat) and wide receiver free agent Odell Beckham Jr. (black jacket) and cornerback Trevon Diggs (white hat) pose for a photo after the game between the Dallas Mavericks and the Phoenix Suns at the American Airlines Center. Mandatory Credit: Jerome Miron-USA TODAY Sports

By Jon Machota
1h ago

The momentum behind Odell Beckham Jr. potentially signing with the Cowboys has reduced significantly from a week ago at this time. The veteran free-agent wide receiver visited Dallas on Monday and Tuesday after spending the weekend visiting the Buffalo Bills and New York Giants.

Beckham did not work out for any of the teams during his visits. He said Thursday night on the “NFL on Prime Video” broadcast that he’s aiming to join a team for the playoffs.

“I would like to be in a stable environment, get up at 6 a.m., leave at 6 p.m. for four weeks, and then let’s talk about it,” Beckham said. “I’ve played football for a long time. I’m not saying I couldn’t step in and play regular season, but I don’t see the point. I really don’t. I’d rather play when the pressure is on. I’d rather play when the lights are on.”

The Cowboys aren’t ruling out the possibility of signing Beckham, but they were hoping for him to be able to contribute in some portion of the regular season before playing in the playoffs.

“Yes, we’re still in contact,” Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said of his talks with Beckham, Friday on 105.3 The Fan in Dallas. “Yes. Yes. Yes. Is there a timeline? Probably the fact that time is ticking in terms of getting in here and really initiating the heavy work in rehab to get there for the playoffs if it’s gonna happen.”

Quarterback Dak Prescott and other Cowboys players who visited with Beckham spoke positively about their time together. But there was also a sense at The Star this week that the focus is more on the players currently in the building.

“Obviously, yeah, it would help to have him,” Prescott said. “He’s a great player, and if he can come in and play right now, 100 percent, yeah, we want him. But as I’ve said before, I’ve got a lot of confidence in the guys that we have and where we’re going and guys getting their feet back underneath them and what we’ve built upon. So if we get him, hell yeah, it’s going to help. And if not, yeah, I’m confident in what we have and know that we can win.”
https://theathletic.com/3974861/2022/12/06/cowboys-offense-odell-beckham-jr/
Cowboys defensive end DeMarcus Lawrence had an interesting response when asked if it’s fair to say that he hopes the team signs Beckham.

“It’s fair to say that I’m trying to reach a Super Bowl,” Lawrence responded. “So, if he can come and help us do that, yes, I’d accept him. But if we’re just going to do the circus, like, no, I don’t. I’m focused on this year, this team, what we have in this locker room right now and on the journey that we’re going (on). That’s it.”

The Cowboys are 17-point favorites over the Houston Texans on Sunday, making Dallas the largest favorite entering an NFL game this season. Here are a few things to watch for in what might not be a very close matchup.

Offensive line. Tyron Smith practiced this week for the first time since having hamstring surgery in late August. While all reports have been positive, it appears the Cowboys will likely wait another week before making him active for a game.

“Just hearing his grunts again,” Prescott said. “Tyron is very loud when he’s blocking. When you hear that, you realize that guy is back. The guy is a (future Pro Football Hall of Fame) gold jacket, and when he gets on the field you see why. It’s going to be huge to have him back.”
“I feel bad for those D-ends he was going against,” Cowboys RB Ezekiel Elliott added. “I’m sure they’re going to have some bruises on their chest. He looks good. He looks in shape.”

Keep an eye on the left tackle and left guard positions Sunday. Rookie Tyler Smith is expected to see most of the work at left tackle, but don’t be surprised if Jason Peters gets some snaps as well. Connor McGovern will start at left guard, but Tyler Smith could also get some work there. When Tyron Smith returns, he’s expected to step back into his starting spot at left tackle. So what does that mean for Tyler Smith and McGovern? That’s still to be determined. The Cowboys would like to put their best five out there. That could be with Tyler Smith sliding over or McGovern keeping his starting spot.

Kelvin Joseph. Last year’s second-round pick will get every opportunity to be the team’s starting outside corner opposite All-Pro CB Trevon Diggs. Now that veteran CB Anthony Brown is out for the season with an Achilles injury, Joseph’s time has come to step up. Many thought he wouldn’t even be on the roster this season after he was a passenger in a vehicle during a drive-by shooting death in Dallas back in March. No criminal charges were brought against Joseph, but there were serious discussions at The Star about releasing him.

“It’s called go time for Joseph,” Jones said Friday. “It’s time for him to become a man, in that type of terminology. He’s got to say ‘it is time now.’ And that happens to young people. And he should accept a higher level of responsibility. He’s got more people depending on him. He’s got his teammates depending upon him. It’s time for some of the side stuff to ease its way out of his life, and it’s time to get down to business. He’s got a lot of people depending on him. … He’s very talented. He can be a good player for us.”
https://theathletic.com/3656356/2022/12/09/cowboys-kelvin-joseph-cornerback/
If Joseph isn’t the answer, the other possibilities on the roster include Nahshon Wright, Kendall Sheffield and Mackensie Alexander. Wright (6-4, 190) has the best size of the group, but he hasn’t played a defensive snap this season. Sheffield (5-10, 212) was a fourth-round pick in 2019 by Atlanta when Cowboys defensive coordinator Dan Quinn was the Falcons’ head coach. Sheffield has not played in a game this season. Alexander (5-10, 192) was a second-round pick by the Minnesota Vikings in 2016. He also has not played this season.

James Washington. He has a legitimate shot to play Sunday for the first time since breaking his foot in the first padded practice of training camp. The Cowboys signed Washington in March after he played the last four seasons with the Pittsburgh Steelers. The hope is that he can be a vertical threat who complements the team’s top two wide receivers, CeeDee Lamb and Michael Gallup. Washington had 24 catches for 285 yards and two touchdowns in 15 games last season.

“I’ve been playing against him since college,” Lamb said, “to see him out here again, running around in practice, very explosive. He’s your deep-threat guy. So just be careful. That’s all I’ve got to say.”

Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy said Friday that based on what he’s seen from Washington this week, he looks “ready to go.”

“He might get playing time against the Texans,” Jones said Friday. “I know this, he’s having some good practices. He really hasn’t gotten on the field for us, but we all remember him at Oklahoma State, and he did some real good things. He’s showing real explosiveness in his practicing. He’s definitely a player that can help us and help us now.”

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
“It’s fair to say that I’m trying to reach a Super Bowl,” Lawrence responded. “So, if he can come and help us do that, yes, I’d accept him. But if we’re just going to do the circus, like, no, I don’t. I’m focused on this year, this team, what we have in this locker room right now and on the journey that we’re going (on). That’s it.”
This is the right attitude.

“I would like to be in a stable environment, get up at 6 a.m., leave at 6 p.m. for four weeks, and then let’s talk about it,” Beckham said. “I’ve played football for a long time. I’m not saying I couldn’t step in and play regular season, but I don’t see the point. I really don’t. I’d rather play when the pressure is on. I’d rather play when the lights are on.”

This is the wrong attitude. I'd hate to see this sort of influence in the locker room.

Cotton

Staff member
This is the wrong attitude. I'd hate to see this sort of influence in the locker room.
Please let this man go somewhere else or watch the games from his couch.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
If Tyler Smith is on the bench for any reason other than injury this team is insane.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If Tyler Smith is on the bench for any reason other than injury this team is insane.
In the Colts game, they were getting him what seemed to be a good number of snaps late at LG, with Peters as a placeholder for what can only be assumed is Tyron Smith’s return. I guess that is one way to try to prepare for the change in chemistry.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
In the Colts game, they were getting him what seemed to be a good number of snaps late at LG, with Peters as a placeholder for what can only be assumed is Tyron Smith’s return. I guess that is one way to try to prepare for the change in chemistry.
Yea it's pretty obvious the plan is to shift him to LG once Tyron is back, I wouldn't be surprised if he plays roughly half this Texans game there.

Top Bottom