Tennessee judge rules infant's name must be changed from 'Messiah'

Jiggyfly

Banned
Tennessee judge rules infant's name must be changed from 'Messiah'
Published August 11, 2013

NEWPORT, Tenn. – A judge in Tennessee changed a 7-month-old boy's name to Martin from Messiah, saying the religious name was earned by one person and "that one person is Jesus Christ."
Child Support Magistrate Lu Ann Ballew ordered the name change last week, according to WBIR-TV . The boy's parents were in court because they could not agree on the child's last name, but when the judge heard the boy's first name, she ordered it changed, too.
"It could put him at odds with a lot of people and at this point he has had no choice in what his name is," Ballew said.

It was the first time she ordered a first name change, the judge said.
Messiah was No. 4 among the fastest-rising baby names in 2012, according to the Social Security Administration's annual list of popular baby names.

The judge in eastern Tennessee said the baby was to be named Martin DeShawn McCullough, which includes both parents' last name.
The boy's mother, Jaleesa Martin, of Newport, said she will appeal. She says Messiah is unique and she liked how it sounded alongside the boy's two siblings -- Micah and Mason.
"Everybody believes what they want so I think I should be able to name my child what I want to name him, not someone else," Martin said.

Ballew said the name Messiah could cause problems if the child grows up in Cocke County, which has a large Christian population.
"The word Messiah is a title and it's a title that has only been earned by one person and that one person is Jesus Christ," the judge said.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/08/11/tenn-judge-changes-infant-name-from-messiah-says-it-could-put-him-at-odds-with/print#ixzz2bnz3bskk

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
They can't legislate names. :lol

Hell, tons of people would have to change their names from Jesus.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I think the name is stupid and tasteless but I agree, I think you can't force them to change it.

That being said, we should pass a law declaring unfit parents for some of the names that people come up with these days.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Wasn't some couple forced to change their kid's name after he was named "Hitler"?

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I can see the argument that it constitutes abuse to stick a kid with a name that will bring a ton of negative attention on them. It sucks that people are that dumb but they'll treat a ten year old named Hitler like he's the asshole instead of blaming the parents.

Cotton

Staff member
Individual accountability is absolutely lost in this country.

Cotton

Staff member

Jiggyfly

Banned
Its the exact same generalization.

But explain the difference please I am dying to read it.

Cotton

Staff member
One statement is talking about a personal situation and one is talking about a professional situation. BTW, it made me dumber just typing that.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
You are such an idiot. :lol

That has nothing to do with my statement. I can't believe I'm even replying to this nonsense.
I may like to argue but Jiggy is a whole different level of annoying to talk to sometimes. He brings up things that are just.... completely unrelated and irrelevant.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
True story. I graduated high school with a kid named Lucky Strike K****y

Top Bottom