Teams have $80,362 for UDFA signing bonuses

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Teams have $80,362 for UDFA signing bonuses

Posted by Mike Florio on May 5, 2014, 10:25 PM EDT

The day after the 2014 NFL draft ends, the people who moved the thing forward by two weeks will be spending times with their mothers or the mothers of their children. The people who are responsible for putting teams together will be spending the day pursuing undrafted free agents.

To lure a class of undrafted free agents, the teams will have up to $80,362 each for signing bonuses or amounts treated as signing bonuses to offer. That’s a total amount per team, not per player.

It’s unclear why any limits are placed on the ability to give signing bonuses to undrafted players, given that a salary cap encompasses all moves made by a team. Regardless, the NFL and the NFLPA have agreed to the limitation, and the limitation this year is $80,362 per team.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
At the pace we are on, if we go 10 rounds, it could take 2 weeks to complete.
One maddening thing from an interview they had with Herr Goodell last night...

He was asked about stretching the draft to three days and he immediately said "how about one day for each round", made this face like he was serious then chuckled.

OMG RAGE

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
One maddening thing from an interview they had with Herr Goodell last night...

He was asked about stretching the draft to three days and he immediately said "how about one day for each round", made this face like he was serious then chuckled.

OMG RAGE
I really wish we could go back to the old way. I used to look forward to the draft like it was the Cowboys in the SB. Not so much anymore. I will obviously watch, but it's just not the same anymore.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I really wish we could go back to the old way. I used to look forward to the draft like it was the Cowboys in the SB. Not so much anymore. I will obviously watch, but it's just not the same anymore.
7 days. 7 different cities. 7 rounds. Are you ready NFL fans!?

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Yep.

First three rounds Saturday. Drink like a madman at party with buddies that was planned months in advance. Look thru drunken and blurred eyes who is available at the top of the 4th round.

Wake up with roaring hangover. Drink to chase the demons away. Rounds 4 thru 7.

Attempt to stay awake long enough to see who is signed as UDFA and fail to do so.

Wake with hangover that made yesterdays seem tame. Find out who UDFA's are.

Win.

FU for taking that away from me, Rog.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree, there was something far more exciting about getting up on Saturday and knowing you were basically going to spend the entire weekend on the draft. I find it really hard to get that excited about a first round on Thursday night. Then the second/third round on Friday night (When people with any sort of a life aren't sitting at home). Who the hell thought that schedule was a good idea?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I agree, there was something far more exciting about getting up on Saturday and knowing you were basically going to spend the entire weekend on the draft. I find it really hard to get that excited about a first round on Thursday night. Then the second/third round on Friday night (When people with any sort of a life aren't sitting at home). Who the hell thought that schedule was a good idea?
Roger, the question was, "Who the hell thought that was a good idea?".

Goodell: Duuuuuuhhhhhhhhhh... I dunno. ~derpity derp derp~

2233boys

Not So New Member
I agree Saturday and Sunday drafts were great.

Top Bottom