Sturm: What Are We Doing at RT? The Tyson Clabo Report

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
He's had his share of input because that's the system that the general manager has set up.

In a functional system, such as Baltimore, Garrett would not be fighting Ozzie Newsome demanding that Newsome downgrade the OL. He would just be going with the flow and he'd be doing the actual coaching, not the GM-hand-holding he's required to here.

So it's hard for me to use the word "guilty." He's not guilty. He's failing because he's being asked to do something he's not competent to do, and he shouldn't be asked to do it.
Garrett is guilty, like any accomplice. He's been the guy demanding more offensive weapons. It sure as hell isn't Jerry demanding two TEs in five years in premium rounds. It isn't Jerry picking Felix Jones.

Fact is, yes, Jerry owns it all. But you can't count the coaches as innocents, from Garrett, down to fricking Neck Brace, for barking in his ear for what they want and that campaign being for guys that can't play.

Yes, the system is broken. It will always be broken.

But just like Parcells owned the Carpenter pick, Garrett has his failures.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Well, maybe I'm not being clear.

I'm not saying that Garrett is in there demanding OLs and then Jerry is overruling him (though I do think that both he and Ciskowski wanted Shariff Floyd and got overruled).

But I think most of the time he's content to let Jerry run the show in terms of personnel. I think he doesn't have or doesn't offer an opinion except in certain circumstances (ie, "get me a 2nd TE to play with"). This is due to his inexperience at team building.

My biggest problem with Wade wasn't the fact that he didn't have a strong personnel voice. It was that on the practice field and in the locker room the guy was a buffoon and didn't demand the most out of his players.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Well, maybe I'm not being clear.

I'm not saying that Garrett is in there demanding OLs and then Jerry is overruling him (though I do think that both he and Ciskowski wanted Shariff Floyd and got overruled).

But I think most of the time he's content to let Jerry run the show in terms of personnel. I think he doesn't have or doesn't offer an opinion except in certain circumstances (ie, "get me a 2nd TE to play with"). This is due to his inexperience at team building.
Well, most of the time you let your boss have his way. But he's intellectually capable of getting his way because I am sure if he was persuasive enough about the OL, we wouldn't have a "Last of the Mohicans" approach.

Garrett is in a way, just as guilty as Jones about the OL mess. He should have seen, first hand, what a dominant OL could do. He didn't learn from that.

Instead, he's more concerned about getting more fancy toys for himself and then worrying about the OL later, if at all.

Top Bottom