Sturm: The Morning After Wildcard - The Baffling Exit

p1_

DCC 4Life
If Seattle hires Quinn I think we'll know that he was checked out and likely promised the job about a week ago when Carroll was fired.
Have they met already?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If Seattle hires Quinn I think we'll know that he was checked out and likely promised the job about a week ago when Carroll was fired.
There was something very wrong schemetically and no good adjustments were ever made. I don't know if he checked out, mailed it in or whatever. If you asked me 3 months ago I would have said it would be miserable to lose Quinn. Now I'm at the point that I'm just ready for him to leave. I'm willing to give McCarthy and Dak one more year of working together but Quinn needs to go. And so does this Oline coach. That has to be the minimum amount of change.

And oddly enough now I'm ready for a more sweeping change on defense and not just promoting Whitt or whatever.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
The last time I saw mess that bad was at OU when Lincoln Riley had the USC job.

Plenty of people could see that something was really off with the team, but didn't know what it was.

Of course, he lied and said they only talked about it the day before he got the job. Sure, Jan.

And in Riley's case, losing that last game kept them from going to the conference championship, which would have meant he had to wait at least another week to take the job he really wanted. Dan wouldn't, would he?...

Bill Shatner

Lock phasers on target
Well Quinn definitely didn't know much of anything about GB's offensive tendencies or how to adapt to wtf was going on.

Whether he put in work and was just destroyed, or if he mailed it in, well, who knows?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
There was something very wrong schemetically and no good adjustments were ever made. I don't know if he checked out, mailed it in or whatever. If you asked me 3 months ago I would have said it would be miserable to lose Quinn. Now I'm at the point that I'm just ready for him to leave. I'm willing to give McCarthy and Dak one more year of working together but Quinn needs to go. And so does this Oline coach. That has to be the minimum amount of change.

And oddly enough now I'm ready for a more sweeping change on defense and not just promoting Whitt or whatever.
I'm not willing to give McCarthy another year but agree otherwise.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not willing to give McCarthy another year but agree otherwise.
Yeah I struggle with McCarthy. It's impressive to have 3 straight regular seasons like he has. It was his first year calling plays with Dak. If we are running it back with Dak I'd like to see where it can go with another year under McCarthy on offensive. Especially with a new Oline coach and RBs.

But I also get wanting to get a head coach that can kick this team in the ass a little. McCarthy just isn't that coach. He might be able to win a Superbowl with the right players and organization. But I don't think he is capable of instilling the mental toughness in the players here that we need. This team rolls when things are going good but as soon as they hit some failure they fold. There just doesn't seem to be any bouncing back or adjustments quickly to fix things on the fly.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I don't think the team needs its ass kicked, though the defense might if it pouted and quit because it knew its coach was leaving them.

What it needs is a new QB. You can't have a guy who turtles up every time the playoffs start. Do people really think the fourth OC and third HC is going to change a QB in his ninth year?

TLDR version... You can't ass-kick a plow horse into winning the Kentucky Derby.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think the team needs its ass kicked, though the defense might if it pouted and quit because it knew its coach was leaving them.

What it needs is a new QB. You can't have a guy who turtles up every time the playoffs start. Do people really think the fourth OC and third HC is going to change a QB in his ninth year?

TLDR version... You can't ass-kick a plow horse into winning the Kentucky Derby.
I mean I thought Dak looked better this season than he ever has. So yeah I think you can. Especially if you can improve a QB even after all these years. Hell this was the first year anyone told thr fucking guy his footwork mattered. WTF

But I'm game for a new QB too if that's the plan. I'll take the risk of a 6 win season at this point. Maybe you can dump this contract and actually have money to spend a year or two from now.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I think if I had to choose one thing and one thing only to address, it would be the defense. It needs a complete overhaul.

Find a 1T, a.pure pass rusher, about 3 linebackers, and maybe a CB. Plus a DC and new defensive staff.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think if I had to choose one thing and one thing only to address, it would be the defense. It needs a complete overhaul.

Find a 1T, a.pure pass rusher, about 3 linebackers, and maybe a CB. Plus a DC and new defensive staff.
Yeah I think we need to rethink the scheme. We have a franchise pass rush and corner. Rebuild around that. The rest needs a shakeup.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I mean I thought Dak looked better this season than he ever has. So yeah I think you can. Especially if you can improve a QB even after all these years. Hell this was the first year anyone told thr fucking guy his footwork mattered. WTF
I did, too, and it was great to see. Problem was, when the lights got brighter he went into brainlock again. Talked about it at the time, but really, the Miami and Detroit games he wasn't good, either. Those teams both have very good offenses and meh defenses, so they should have put up more points than they did. They won only because the defense showed up. Which of course they didn't on Sunday.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, and I'm afraid it's too late for Dak. The old patterns are too ingrained. Too bad Jerry insisted on Kellen running things the last two years because maybe it wouldn't have been too late if you started in 2020.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

The team definitely needs it's ass kicked. I don't know if that would be enough to get Dak operating at a high level but it was obvious that the team was some sort of combination of unprepared, overlooking the opponent, anxious about the expectations, scared of the moment/not meeting expectations, and so forth.

They need to toughen up mentally and physically, and McCarthy isn't the guy to do that at this stage.

• Props
Reactions: p1_
Top Bottom