Sturm: The Friday Cowboys Mailbag is back - Just like the team, you are focusing on the defense

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

By Bob Sturm 3h ago

Very possible that this morning, more in DFW are worried about the Mavericks-Clippers Game 6 to be played tonight downtown. Of course, I bet many Cowboys fans follow the Mavericks and many of the others follow the Lakers (I know too many Cowboys fans with “Cowboys-Lakers” on their profile pages) and I bet both of those fan bases unite against the Clippers.

Frankly, not sure what any of that has to do with June 4 Cowboys talk, but let’s dedicate this football summer mailbag to the Mavericks ending that series right here in Dallas on Friday night. At least, I think so.

I have hand-picked about a dozen questions from you, our valued readers and loyal subscribers so let’s see what you have for us.

If Cox outplays Parsons, a possibility that is quite likely given their skill set, should Dallas be praised for finding a quality linebacker to start in the later rounds or criticized for burning another premium pick on a guy who can’t make an impact on defense? — Brian P.

Brian, I believe you can rest assured that Jabril Cox will not take Micah Parsons’ gig. And I say that with great confidence because they are both linebackers, but they have very little in common other than that and being fast. From my evaluations, one is a proper sideline-to-sideline attacking linebacker who has special qualities of being a defense’s best player and the other appears to be a safety who is playing linebacker and will specialize in coverage and passing scenarios. Now, I think the skill sets will complement each other nicely and I would be willing to wager they will play together for years — which of course is an ugly indictment of the futures of Jaylon Smith and Leighton Vander Esch. I promise I never thought they would be taking Micah Parsons, but I believe they did follow their board here and if he is what they think he is, this regret from the fan base will vanish quickly. If not, yes, they have burned even more premium resources on an asset that seems redundant and a position many franchises do not believe to be premium at all. But, I really think both players are exceptionally athletic on a defense that needed that type of upgrade.

3-3-5 on passing downs with Jaylon or Parsons serving as a 4th rusher? — Jonathan D.

I think it has to be Parsons, personally. Smith is a useful player and certainly he can do some things well, but I have seen almost no real pass rush component beyond blitzing unblocked a few times post-injury. Parsons has actually demonstrated a brilliant array of ways to produce and it should translate when they unleash him. Parsons.

Bob, now that the June 1st deadline has passed, should the Cowboys pursue either Sheldon Richardson or perhaps a trade for Grady Jarrett (assuming the Falcons may want to clear his salary from their cap)? Maybe dangle Michael Gallup (since Julio is as good as gone and they could use a replacement opposite Ridley) and include a mid- or late-round draft pick? The Cowboys surely know they won’t be keeping both Gallup and Amari Cooper after this year. Get something for Gallup now and solidify their D-line with a beast like Jarrett. Jarrett is a Quinn disciple and may be game, but not sure the Falcons would part with him. — Steven O.

They maybe should, but I get the feeling that they believe that they have enough young talent after drafting 11 players that they want to see what they have. As you know, I have spent a fair amount of time on the final year of Gallup’s deal before he starts to cost a lot of cash, so I have definitely proposed that you flip offensive surplus for defensive help, but if I were to guess, this is probably their squad. Yes, there are pieces that can help, but the Dan Quinn reboot doesn’t want anymore year-to-year patchwork at the moment if I am reading this relatively correctly.

Which player do you think is likelier to be traded, LVE or Jaylon and who do you think they are traded to? — Matts D.

It would have to be Vander Esch simply because he doesn’t have a massive contract attached to him at the moment. Smith represents someone being upside down in their payments and it would be including something with him to move him in my opinion (which is why that draft-day trade story with Miami to move up is silliness). Surely, you would rather trade Smith than LVE at the moment, but I assume the only one with value is Vander Esch.

Leighton Vander Esch picks off a pass (Tim Heitman / USA Today)

Based on player acquisitions, reading between the lines of comments, your own experience, what will be the difference in the defense this year that we immediately notice? — Jim T.

Again, I don’t want to promise the moon, because young players take a while and some never arrive at the hopeful levels of optimism, but the influx of talent on the defense suggests that you will see many capable pieces that will offer some upgrades. But more vitally, Dallas has a significant amount of depth that was not available in recent times. The upgrades between the 2020 and 2021 drafts on this defense may not win any popularity contests, but I believe they are in pretty good shape with what they have done in Rounds 1-4 this year.

The offense should be great but it doesn’t really matter. Do you really think the defense can improve to a level that gets us anything past an NFC East title. — Jacob B.

I do think they have a chance. You see, in today’s NFL you do not need elite on defense — you just need average. Average is important because it keeps you in a season. Well below average on either side of the ball is the problem — but in this league, you need one top unit (here the offense is ideal) and one NFL-average unit (the defense) to be a contender. I believe that can and will happen in 2021.

I often read how DeMarcus Lawrence is a great player. Yet, it seems to me that the Cowboys are always trying to find someone to “help” Lawrence. Looking at the sack stats, he seems to be a high average player whose production is inversely related to his salary. No doubt he plays hard. How do you rate him as a player? — Terry H.

Terry, I rate him very highly. I definitely agree that this was more clear after 2018 than the last two years and his money is a big deal, but very few players offer the excellence against the run and the pass that he does. He has very little for statistical dominance, but that is where I agree that he does need help. The best pass rushers in this league are part of an ensemble cast where they punish you for deciding to focus on one guy or another, because there is no right answer. But, in this case, they slide help to Lawrence and he can be limited. Dallas absolutely needs another edge and tackles that require respect and they did not have that in 2020 for sure. So, yes, lifting the relative level of quality in other spots will absolutely be reflected with Lawrence and his production. But make no mistake, he is a stud who any team would gladly welcome.

With the drafting of Parsons and Cox, is it safe to assume Jaylon and LVE both being gone as early as next season? If so, would that open up the cap space quite a bit? Possibly enough to sign Gallup or franchise tag him if need be? — Christian C.

I do think at least one of them is gone, but these next 17 games will help determine who that is. I don’t think either is impossible for 2022, but both won’t be here. So, can you keep Gallup if you lose them? I am not sure the moves are coupled, but I do think Amari Cooper might be hanging in the balance, too. This is a league with year-to-year movement and almost no guaranteed deals. Many players of high income will have to lock in their future by remaining vital to the success around here in the present tense.

Bob, I told my wife a few days ago that I thought the Cowboys would have a good season this year. She looked at me with a combination of pity and disdain. I need some reassurance here. — Steve R.

That is hilarious and I am pretty sure that your wife won’t care if I weigh in. I really think Dallas played last year without many important pieces — including arguably the most valuable three positions on offense with quarterback, left tackle and right tackle all out. And we know that here in Dallas, they have put very fine players at each of those spots in Dak Prescott, Tyron Smith, and La’el Collins. Mix in a tight end who was lost for the year, an All-Pro right guard lost for the year, and frankly, they had no chance after that. They started four quarterbacks and at this point, if getting everyone back and adding to that isn’t enough to convince the Mrs., well, I will encourage all involved to watch the improvement that their returns will bring.

Mike McCarthy (Tim Heitman / USA Today)

Hey Bob, after watching several poor in-game coaching decisions and interviews last season, I’m convinced coach Mc is not the brightest bulb in the room. Is there any evidence that you are aware of to convince me otherwise? Please don’t tell me the SB win. — Carl B.

I will provide you with plenty of things that I have written over the last 18 months about Mike McCarthy and leave it at that, because the way this area has been convinced that he was lucky all of those years or that Aaron Rodgers carried him and I don’t have the energy to debate it afresh. Here is what I wrote in January 2020 and in January 2021.

Here is what I wrote the week he was hired:

The marriage might be fantastic, but we had all better wait and see how everyone works together. I was told by a source that it often takes someone like McCarthy about two years just to figure out how the building works with the unique politics of the Dallas Cowboys organization. But he certainly is familiar with unique situations. He was compared to Lombardi in his old hallways, and now he can be compared to Landry in his new ones. Let’s hope he someday enjoys a parade here like he did in February of 2011. That was the end of his fifth season, and he just signed a five-year deal in Dallas.

I think this is a very solid hire, and I am optimistic about the program he knows how to build. The Cowboys badly needed a change, and the idea that they left their normal board to go get the “best coach available” for the job should encourage all who want to see this team play deep into January. Mike McCarthy teams often do.

Is it possible to sign Richard Sherman as a leader for the dbs? Taking into account from salary cap to his injury status lately. I don’t think he can cover one on one anymore but his experience could be very valuable in the right position. — Mauro T.

It is possible, I assume, and I would love it. But, I also think that they believe they have four very talented and big corners to help the cause that they have spent strong picks to help deal with cornerback. Trevon Diggs and Kelvin Joseph, for sure. Even last year’s fourth Reggie Robinson and this year’s third Nahshon Wright. These are not street free agents at all. These are each hand-picked players of value who have a chance to be NFL starters — but of course, they have to prove it. So, do they want Sherman and his attention and contract to block guys who they actually have on the roster for a fraction of the attention and contract? It doesn’t seem so.

How bad is the Cowboys defense really? I know it’s pretty bad but I read somewhere, maybe on here, that over the last 8-10 games it was statistically around the bottom third rather than bottom one or two. So a relatively modest improvement of half a dozen places could see us with a mid-table unit and a good chance to compete if the offense is where we hope it is. — David M.

That is absolutely correct. Mid-table is spot-on and is the goal. They have to handle the run defense situation much better and they have to try to maintain the takeaways level that they found down the stretch (against backup QBs who were giving them the ball). But, the recipe is to have a dominant offense and an athletic and opportunistic defense that can steal a possession, cover in man in certain spots and make the occasional big play. Think the Chiefs defense over the last few years, rather than the rare Seattle defense that Dan Quinn is known for. They simply have to become a defense that matches the pace of the offense and I think they believe they are headed there.

Thanks for all the feedback and my apologies if you didn’t make the dozen selected, but better luck next time we do this which will happen very soon.
Have a good weekend and again, Go Mavs!

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
We are going to need this army of LBs if the DL can’t handle its shit again because they are going to get beat to Hell.

p1_

DCC 4Life
We are going to need this army of LBs if the DL can’t handle its shit again because they are going to get beat to Hell.
I feel like the dline will be improved, how much is hard to say.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Can’t get much worse
Exactly. When it’s that bad, you only have two options: maintain your existing level of suck, or get better.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Sorry... I just don't buy that McCarthy "needs time to learn how the Dallas politics work". He made some head scratching decisions last season, and looked lost quite often. When you throw in how much time he says he spent on his coaching while he was out its worrisome.

Rodgers made him look much better than he actually is, IMO.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
McCarthy certainly has a very good QB here. So even if Rodgers was the main reason for his success, it's not like we're asking him to win with Clint Stoerner.

If the defense can get to league average, there isn't any reason McCarthy wouldn't be able to win a lot of games with this QB.

Shiningstar

DCC 4Life
McCarthy certainly has a very good QB here. So even if Rodgers was the main reason for his success, it's not like we're asking him to win with Clint Stoerner.

If the defense can get to league average, there isn't any reason McCarthy wouldn't be able to win a lot of games with this QB.

im kinda with you, But Rogers and Dak are far apart in talent. Rogers could overcome a lot more . Dak for a few years was really good, but under KM, i dont see it i hope im wrong, but Dak needs way more to win. There was a short time Dak could come back from anything, lately, they have robbed him of that.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
im kinda with you, But Rogers and Dak are far apart in talent. Rogers could overcome a lot more .
True, but did McCarthy's division championships, conference championship games and super bowl require an all timer at QB, or just a good/great one?

Could he have won with, say Russell Wilson? I think he could have accomplished very similar results, and I think Dak is right there with Wilson at this point.

That's not to mention the rest of the offense stacks up pretty well with those GB teams McCarthy had.

It's pretty much all about how good they can get the defense at this point.

Which of course is a huge asterisk so we'll have to see how that goes.

Shiningstar

DCC 4Life
True, but did McCarthy's division championships, conference championship games and super bowl require an all timer at QB, or just a good/great one?

Could he have won with, say Russell Wilson? I think he could have accomplished very similar results, and I think Dak is right there with Wilson at this point.

That's not to mention the rest of the offense stacks up pretty well with those GB teams McCarthy had.

It's pretty much all about how good they can get the defense at this point.

Which of course is a huge asterisk so we'll have to see how that goes.

im kinda with you, but lets break this down. 2021 Dak right now, is no Wilson. But i cant say if thats Daks talent or the organization not letting Dak be Dak. i will cede that point if thats what you are thinking.

I dont know if MM needed a good one but we know he won with a great one, AR is going into the HoF.

The evidence isnt quite there about the offenses, our OL coach was in love with an average player and played him extensively. Tho a the end of the season the OL was working better, but i have no evidence of that. Just in my eye it looked better, it could be debated. I perrsonally think KM is not using the offense has effectively as he could be. I think the talent could be on par with the GB teams under MM, sure, but KM is not using showing hes this wonderful OC as advertised.

Your whole post is on accurate, im just trying to show my work for the answer of which i came up with .

Top Bottom