Sturm: The Cowboys continue to assemble a defense. What clues are they leaving us?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I respect your opinion and I get that you love the guy but you're talking about 2 sacks being good. Doesn't that feel a little wrong? I mean Epenesa had 4.5 as a freshman if we are setting the bar ultra low for impressive productivity. He had a way more dominant career in college.

I guess it's a question of style and athletic potential but I think Chaisson could be your prototypical bust first round DE who looks like an athletic freak but just really is overrated because of athletic ability. I feel lile we have seen a ton of guys like him in the first flame out in the NFL.
I appreciate that, I only mentioned his freshman year because it's all we have to go on besides 2019 where he was obviously very good, and freshman production is relative, that's why I threw Young out there. Young is arguably the best DE prospect in a decade yet he only put up 5/3.5 as a freshman, Chaisson basically put up the same line, 2018 was a complete wash (although he did have a sack in the only game he played), and then in 2019 he was excellent. You can't fault the guy because he didn't stay 4 years, or even 5 like Ford.

I named like 5 guys from the last decade who are all Pro Bowl/perennial double digit sack types who had similar, if not worse collegiate production, it happens. That's not to say Chaisson is some sort of lock, but the draft is an art obviously and not a science.

I'm not arguing that we should trade up for him or take him over Kinlaw or anything outlandish. But if we're sitting there at 17 and the choice is between Henderson/Chaisson/McKinney, I'm going Chaisson for sure. I just got around to watching Chaisson/Henderson closely since it seems that our pick is likely coming down to the two of them and Chaisson impressed me way more than I thought he would while Henderson was surprisingly disappointing.

This guy got roasted for a 40+ yard play in basically every game I watched and he can't tackle. I get that he's 6-1, 200 and ran a 4.39, but ironically I think out of the two Henderson is the one being overrated more on athleticism/testing.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
Honest question, does it concern you that he hasn't even gotten 10 sacks over his entire career? His best season was 6.5 sacks and he is a guy whose NFL career is going to be defined by his pass rush. Just seems weird to talk about a guy in the first round as a DE with 9.5 career sacks.
Not for me, but I can see why it might concern others. I see a player just beginning to tap into their natural abilities. He's late to the party, not having played a whole lot of football to this point. But clearly the tools are there. And clearly they were beginning to be put on full display by the end of the season. I see a sky's the limit type of player. A good comp for me is Danielle Hunter. He was that same 'tools' player (even from the same school), and he's developed into one of the league's top pass rushers. And Hunter finished his college career with just 4.5 sacks.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
I just got around to watching Chaisson/Henderson closely since it seems that our pick is likely coming down to the two of them and Chaisson impressed me way more than I thought he would while Henderson was surprisingly disappointing.
Lately I’ve been seeing a lot of drafts with one of the WR falling, so... in order who do you pick?
Brown (NT always fall)
Kinlaw
Chaisson
Jeudy
Lamb

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Lately I’ve been seeing a lot of drafts with one of the WR falling, so... in order who do you pick?
Brown (NT always fall)
Kinlaw
Chaisson
Jeudy
Lamb
Brown
Kinlaw
Lamb
Jeudy
Chaisson

I'd be shocked if any of the top 3 WR's made it to 17 though. The Jets, Raiders and 49ers are all desperate for WR's, and there's just about no chance Ruggs makes it past the Broncos.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm being facetious. Gregory makes sense to me. Aldon Smith is a real shot in the dark.
Yeah Gregory at least had a good season not that long ago where he flashed the ability to be a starting DE. Plus the reason he was suspended time and time again was for weed. There isn't any of this other whacky behavior with him.

Frankly Eldon Smith's problem is alcohol. Which is arguably a far more dangerous substance when abused.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Yeah Gregory at least had a good season not that long ago where he flashed the ability to be a starting DE. Plus the reason he was suspended time and time again was for weed. There isn't any of this other whacky behavior with him.

Frankly Eldon Smith's problem is alcohol. Which is arguably a far more dangerous substance when abused.
and yet the NFL could give a shit if you drink til you drown. finally, they acknowledge the harmlessness of marijuana.

Top Bottom