Sturm: The Cowboys continue to assemble a defense. What clues are they leaving us?

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I'll make it simple.

The linebackers are still here, the Pro Bowl cornerback isn't.
Thank you for the clarification.

I trust the CB depth more than I do the starting LB corp.

Next caller!

p1_

DCC 4Life
after reading this, does anyone still have questions about the current approach to FA and the draft as it pertains to the rebuild of this shitty Marinelli defense?

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
This may be just me, but I am narrowing in on K'Lavon Chaisson as being this team's best option and prospective pick at #17. Reading this article leads me to believe that the team wants to go with versatility, flexibility, and a more attacking scheme. To me, Chaisson fits all of those roles perfectly. And in my opinion, it's Chase Young and Chaisson as first round pass rushers and then everyone else. So if you don't get one of them in round one, you're dealing with a significant dropoff. And as for corners, I think the dropoff is less after Okudah than after the rest, meaning I think you can get an acceptable option in round two.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
This may be just me, but I am narrowing in on K'Lavon Chaisson as being this team's best option and prospective pick at #17. Reading this article leads me to believe that the team wants to go with versatility, flexibility, and a more attacking scheme. To me, Chaisson fits all of those roles perfectly. And in my opinion, it's Chase Young and Chaisson as first round pass rushers and then everyone else. So if you don't get one of them in round one, you're dealing with a significant dropoff. And as for corners, I think the dropoff is less after Okudah than after the rest, meaning I think you can get an acceptable option in round two.
I said this in another thread earlier, as long as one of the elite prospects don't drop for some reason Chaisson is 100% my guy.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
I said this in another thread earlier, as long as one of the elite prospects don't drop for some reason Chaisson is 100% my guy.
I'm late to the party, but I'm coming around to him being my guy as well. Based on his physical abilities, upside, football character and IQ, teams needs, draft availability and a few other factors, he's rising up my board as the best value for this team at #17.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm late to the party, but I'm coming around to him being my guy as well. Based on his physical abilities, upside, football character and IQ, teams needs, draft availability and a few other factors, he's rising up my board as the best value for this team at #17.
Honest question, does it concern you that he hasn't even gotten 10 sacks over his entire career? His best season was 6.5 sacks and he is a guy whose NFL career is going to be defined by his pass rush. Just seems weird to talk about a guy in the first round as a DE with 9.5 career sacks.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Honest question, does it concern you that he hasn't even gotten 10 sacks over his entire career? His best season was 6.5 sacks and he is a guy whose NFL career is going to be defined by his pass rush. Just seems weird to talk about a guy in the first round as a DE with 9.5 career sacks.
He only played 1 game his sophomore year due to an ACL and had a sack in that game. He had 4.5 TFL/2 sacks as a true freshman, which is pretty productive for a freshman.

2019 was obviously his most important season, and he started a bit slow as you'd expect coming off a torn ACL, but over the last 4-5 games he was dominant, both statistically and based on the eye test. He was awesome against Alabama, not quite as dominant but still very productive against Georgia, and he was the defensive MVP of the semifinal vs Oklahoma, and obviously had an excellent game.

Even in the championship he didn't have any box score stats but if you watch it you'll see him pressuring Lawrence several times and impacting his throws. He even had a pretty amazing tackle in space on a screen to Etienne for little to no gain.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Even in the championship he didn't have any box score stats but if you watch it you'll see him pressuring Lawrence several times and impacting his throws. He even had a pretty amazing tackle in space on a screen to Etienne for little to no gain.
He looked good in the playoffs but his production scares the shit out of me. I don't know that he showed me that bend to consistently turm the corner. It's why he seems to get pressure but rarely finish. Seems like a lot pf projection for a guy who should have been abusing college athlete OTs.

Gives me a lot of Leonard Floyd vibes. I'd love to see the list of guys who maxed out at 6.5 sacks in college who then turned into double digit sack guys in the NFL.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
Because when March and/or Thomas are playing, we have no depth.

Sean Lee's fragility

LVE's uncertainty

Jaylon's whatever he had going on last year.

We have a decent enough starting group at CB.

It seems like ignoring the LB position is exactly the kind of move Dallas would make though. Let's bank on Lee and LVE enjoying an injury-free year and blame the defense's collapse on the gosh darn luck of the NFL.
You don’t have to explain yourself, you’re right.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
He looked good in the playoffs but his production scares the shit out of me. I don't know that he showed me that bend to consistently turm the corner. It's why he seems to get pressure but rarely finish. Seems like a lot pf projection for a guy who should have been abusing college athlete OTs.

Gives me a lot of Leonard Floyd vibes. I'd love to see the list of guys who maxed out at 6.5 sacks in college who then turned into double digit sack guys in the NFL.
Danielle Hunter had 4.5 sacks total in 3 years, a season-high of 3.
Cameron Jordan had 16.5 total in 4 years, a season-high of 6.
Dee Ford had 10 over 4 years, a season-high of 6, before he had a 5th year of eligibility and put up 10.5.
Chandler Jones had 10 total in 3 years, season-high of 4.
Frank Clark had 11 over 4 years, season-high of 5.
Clay Matthews had 5.5 over 4 years, season-high of 4.5.

I stopped looking there since I figured it was enough. As far as his play goes, he doesn't lack bend, I think he lacks some in strength and/or doesn't quite know how to use his length yet to where he gets pushed past the QB by OT's at the top of his rush at times even though he's beaten them to the edge. I also think he loses his balance at the top of his rush at times.

Either way, it's relatively minor stuff, just watch this guy against Oklahoma and tell me you'd rather take Henderson who gave up 5 40+ yard plays in just 9 games last year:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hope I'm wrong. We shall see. Danielle Hunter I think is your best hope from that list. I know you've really fallen in love with this guy but you're talking about a guy whose entore college career is based off 4-5 games. Thats extremely scary no matter how many excuses there are for him doing nothing prior.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I hope I'm wrong. We shall see. Danielle Hunter I think is your best hope from that list. I know you've really fallen in love with this guy but you're talking about a guy whose entore college career is based off 4-5 games. Thats extremely scary no matter how many excuses there are for him doing nothing prior.
The guy was good all year, it's just that he went from good to dominant by the end of the year, and when you consider that he's a true junior coming off an ACL, that's pretty impressive. You don't get 1st Team All-SEC because you played 2 good games in November.

And I wouldn't call him unproductive, he had 4.5 TFL/2 sacks as a true freshman, Chase Young had 5/3.5, that's a productive year as far as freshmen go. Then he tore his ACL in the season opener in 2018 and was dominating by the end of 2019.

If Kinlaw or Brown make it to 13/14 I'm on the phone immediately, and I'd still look very hard at trading down, but as far as our likely options go at 17, Chaisson is the guy.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And I wouldn't call him unproductive, he had 4.5 TFL/2 sacks as a true freshman, Chase Young had 5/3.5, that's a productive year as far as freshmen go. Then he tore his ACL in the season opener in 2018 and was dominating by the end of 2019.
I respect your opinion and I get that you love the guy but you're talking about 2 sacks being good. Doesn't that feel a little wrong? I mean Epenesa had 4.5 as a freshman if we are setting the bar ultra low for impressive productivity. He had a way more dominant career in college.

I guess it's a question of style and athletic potential but I think Chaisson could be your prototypical bust first round DE who looks like an athletic freak but just really is overrated because of athletic ability. I feel lile we have seen a ton of guys like him in the first flame out in the NFL.

Top Bottom