Sturm Morning After

p1_

DCC 4Life
We would not have been up significantly by halftime because our offense - the life blood of our team - was busy scoring only 13 points.
Suppose you have a 13 point lead at half. Do you like your chances at that point?

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
So you think it's normal to score a TD on every posession? Scoring 3 points in 3 possessions isn't what you want but it's not a significant dry spell either
We had 3 scoring possessions in the first half. That's fine, but 2 of them were field goals and you don't want to do that.

Green bay also had 3 scoring possessions in the first half. All touchdowns.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
We had 3 scoring possessions in the first half. That's fine, but 2 of them were field goals and you don't want to do that.

So that seems to be a defense problem on the part of Dallas.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

13 points in a half is good. 31 points in a game is great. Those are numbers that should win you a playoff game. You're barking up the wrong tree.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Not true. Number of possessions wasn't the problem. We were kicking field goals instead of touchdowns.
How do you kick touchdowns? :unsure

I'll see myself out.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
13 points in a half is good. 31 points in a game is great. Those are numbers that should win you a playoff game. You're barking up the wrong tree.
Yeah. It wasn't the Dallas offense that created the problem evidenced by the surge in the second half. The defense allowed too much to the Packer whiz kid and he carved them up. He was slowed in the second half which allowed Dallas to get back in the game and go for the win. The offense cranked it up enough to have a shot but questionable play calling and a one in a million pass put the win on Green Bay's side.

Genghis Khan

Uhh no, I'm not.

Glad you are ok with the offense shitting the bed for a quarter of the game, but I'm not.

Green bay gave up 31. That's not so great either. Are they sitting around blaming the defense for anything right now? No? Because their offense put up 34.

And our offense could have put up over 34 and won the game, except they shit the bed several times in key spots.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Uhh no, I'm not.

Glad you are ok with the offense shitting the bed for a quarter of the game, but I'm not.

Green bay gave up 31. That's not so great either. Are they sitting around blaming the defense for anything right now? No? Because their offense put up 34.

And our offense could have put up over 34 and won the game, except they shit the bed several times in key spots.
No I'm just ok with a strong starting drive. A second drive that would have scored points except for a bizarre 15 yard penalty that hasn't been called in 33 years being called. And a third drive that was killed by a drop from Williams. The offense wasn't perfect but if those are your biggest complaints in a game which we scored over 30 points you're crazy.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Uhh no, I'm not.

I'd say an awful penalty and a sequence that saw us get to the Green Bay 15 and then call 3 straight shotgun passes were contributing factors to us not getting more points and possibly TD's.

Same thing on that stupid screen pass on 2nd and 1 when we should have run the ball.

Call a smarter and more obvious game on the offensive side of the ball, and we get those points that you wished we had.

The coaching staff blew this game on the offensive side of the ball and threw points away with it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd say an awful penalty and a sequence that saw us get to the Green Bay 15 and then call 3 straight shotgun passes were contributing factors to us not getting more points and possibly TD's.

Same thing on that stupid screen pass on 2nd and 1 when we should have run the ball.

Call a smarter and more obvious game on the offensive side of the ball, and we get those points that you wished we had.

The coaching staff blew this game on the offensive side of the ball and threw points away with it.
2nd and 1, why the hell is your first thought WR screen pass? To me that down and distance is perfect to take a shot, knowing you can run on third down. So I either do a play action or I run the ball. Hell the DBs clearly weren't respecting the pass. It's why they were all right there at the line of scrimmage. Just a dumb play call all around. And Dak being a rookie probably didn't feel comfortable or didn't have the authority to check out of it. Still he should have seen the DB and thrown that thing in the dirt. But why call that play in the first place? Just doesn't make much sense to me in that down and distance. Personally I run a play action there knowing that on third down I can run it with Zeke for a first down. Too much risk involved with running that screen. Hell even if it's not picked, you can easily lose yards on those plays either because someone blocks too early or because the DB sniffs it out. If that happens you suddenly have a third down and more then just 1 yard.

I hated, hated, hated that call.

Genghis Khan

Yep.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Some say the loss was due to poor offense others attribute it to poor defense. I guess it comes down to do you grade this showing as a poor showing by both? After all the outcome of the game ultimately came down to two plays. The miracle pass and subsequent winning field goal. Without all the woulda, shoulda, couldas over the span of the game, and looking at the plays that ultimately determined the outcome of the game, where is the performance failure?

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
2nd and 1, why the hell is your first thought WR screen pass? To me that down and distance is perfect to take a shot, knowing you can run on third down. So I either do a play action or I run the ball. Hell the DBs clearly weren't respecting the pass. It's why they were all right there at the line of scrimmage. Just a dumb play call all around. And Dak being a rookie probably didn't feel comfortable or didn't have the authority to check out of it. Still he should have seen the DB and thrown that thing in the dirt. But why call that play in the first place? Just doesn't make much sense to me in that down and distance. Personally I run a play action there knowing that on third down I can run it with Zeke for a first down. Too much risk involved with running that screen. Hell even if it's not picked, you can easily lose yards on those plays either because someone blocks too early or because the DB sniffs it out. If that happens you suddenly have a third down and more then just 1 yard.

I hated, hated, hated that call.
That's what I said to [MENTION=6]1bigfan13[/MENTION] when he posted something similar.

It already pisses me off enough that we call so many passing plays in favorable and even obvious running situations, but what makes the Garrett-era Cowboys approach so inexcusable is that 9 times out of 10, when we do pass on a 2nd and 1, 1st and 10 in the redzone, or 3rd and 2, it's out of a look or formation that clearly shows we're going to pass.

We don't even use our great running game to our advantage when we choose (incorrectly) to pass the ball.

On 2nd and 1, and especially after Zeke just gained 9, we should be lined up under center with a look that has the defense thinking "Oh shit", because they don't know what the hell is coming at the them.

Instead, we go shotgun and line up 2 receivers on the same side. Or even worse, we go fricking empty backfield altogether.

I know I'm like a broken record with this, but if I had just 5 minutes to ask our coaching staff one singular question, it would be "Why the F do you guys keep doing this?"

I do not understand what the logic is behind shooting your own self in the foot while letting the defense off the hook.

We're always going to fall short in close games in January because this coaching staff is going to always commit this blunder. It's just part of their DNA.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Some say the loss was due to poor offense others attribute it to poor defense. I guess it comes down to do you grade this showing as a poor showing by both? After all the outcome of the game ultimately came down to two plays. The miracle pass and subsequent winning field goal. Without all the woulda, shoulda, couldas over the span of the game, and looking at the plays that ultimately determined the outcome of the game, where is the performance failure?
I don't think the offense performed poorly at all.

The defense clearly did, but it wasn't the 11 guys on offense who failed this team, it was the offensive staff who failed this team.

That's the key difference between how and why each respective unit didn't perform as needed in order to win.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I don't think the offense performed poorly at all.

The defense clearly did, but it wasn't the 11 guys on offense who failed this team, it was the offensive staff who failed this team.

That's the key difference between how and why each respective unit didn't perform as needed in order to win.
Okay I agree that the defense was woefully and soundly beaten in the game especially in the first half. Do you think that if the alignments used in the second half had been used in the first half would have made a game changing difference? If so does Dallas have the personnel to align themselves like the did in the second half for an entire game?

I don't but if you do then it was a coaching failure. If you don't think the available personnel could have played the entire game in that mode then it isn't a coaching failure. It a personnel availability problem. I think the defense was largely responsible for the loss but I also think they were somewhat doomed from the gitgo because there simply wasn't adequate personnel to contain Rodgers for the entire game with a full blown set of pressure schemes.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
That's what I said to [MENTION=6]1bigfan13[/MENTION] when he posted something similar.

It already pisses me off enough that we call so many passing plays in favorable and even obvious running situations, but what makes the Garrett-era Cowboys approach so inexcusable is that 9 times out of 10, when we do pass on a 2nd and 1, 1st and 10 in the redzone, or 3rd and 2, it's out of a look or formation that clearly shows we're going to pass.

We don't even use our great running game to our advantage when we choose (incorrectly) to pass the ball.

On 2nd and 1, and especially after Zeke just gained 9, we should be lined up under center with a look that has the defense thinking "Oh shit", because they don't know what the hell is coming at the them.

Instead, we go shotgun and line up 2 receivers on the same side. Or even worse, we go fricking empty backfield altogether.

I know I'm like a broken record with this, but if I had just 5 minutes to ask our coaching staff one singular question, it would be "Why the F do you guys keep doing this?"

I do not understand what the logic is behind shooting your own self in the foot while letting the defense off the hook.

We're always going to fall short in close games in January because this coaching staff is going to always commit this blunder. It's just part of their DNA.
I've given up trying to understand this offensive staff's reasoning. To be fair, overall they did a good job managing and calling the game but they are severely lacking when it comes to covering all the finer details of keeping the opponent off balance. There's a lot of room for improvement when it comes to situational play calling and game management.

As you pointed out, it's those 2nd and 1 and 1st and goal from the 5 yard line type situations where they outsmart themselves far too often. I'm not sure why they are so averse to imposing their will on opponents. The concept of running the same plays until the other team proves they can stop it is a foreign concept to them.

It kind of reminded me of the 2013 Packers game. A bit of deja vu all over again. I'm sure the Packers had similar feelings to what they felt in 2013 where even they were left wondering why we were choosing to pass in those situations. And just like in 2013, we shot ourselves in the foot in crucial situations all because we refused to stick with what was working.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
That's what I said to @1bigfan13 when he posted something similar.

I would pay to hear their answers... they probably are smarter than you realize.

Last edited:

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I would pay to watch them embarrass you with their answers.
:lol

Yea, because it is impossible that someone who watches football could actually know a little something about the sport and actually be right over a coach for once.

Get out of here with that nonsense.

Look, I don't know what technique a corner is supposed to have in order to run stride for stride with a WR, and I can't tell you what a NT's first step should be in order to be effective as a 3-technique. But I don't subscribe to this nonsense that everything a coach does is right and smart and us regular folks can't possibly have a better understanding of a situation than they could.

For all of their career smarts, Pete Carroll and Darrell Bevel absolutely F'd up the Super Bowl 2 years ago. There are only 2 people on earth who thought they should pass the ball in that instance that night, and it's them. Every fan with half a brain would have run it there and rightfully so.

I know you worship at the altar of Garrett, but that moron was wrong for all the times he didn't stick with the run before, and he was wrong for it on Sunday. There is absolutely no good reason whatsoever that we should have thrown the ball on 2nd and 1.

Period.

Top Bottom