Sturm: How will the Cowboys defense make sure the Bucs work for all of their points?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
ARLINGTON, TX - DECEMBER 24: Dallas Cowboys cornerback Trevon Diggs (7) gets ready to defend against Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver A.J. Brown (11) during the game between the Dallas Cowboys and the Philadelphia Eagles on December 24, 2022 at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas. (Photo by Matthew Pearce/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)

By Bob Sturm
Jan 12, 2023

Dan Quinn has a few things on his plate.

Hopefully, his coaching future can wait because the Cowboys defense will determine plenty in the next week or so. If this defense can do what it has done all year, odds are decent that there is more football ahead. But, if it looks the part of an average defense in Florida on Monday, we will have to turn our attention to another offseason of change and frustration.

Let’s start with the thing that has been on my mind plenty as we look at this side of the ball.

Dallas is a top-10 team in the league at not allowing vertical passes down the sideline in 2022. It’s true! They have only allowed 19 big passes like that in 17 games and that puts them at the bottom of the top 10. That’s the good news. The bad news: Since Thanksgiving, they have conceded 13 of those 19.

So, yes, 10th for 2022, but 27th in the past seven games.

I went through them all and found that it is a pretty interesting situation. The evidence is here for you in the familiar banana stand, but the biggest takeaway was how many were happening in such a short amount of time and how many were down the deep right sideline. They appear to be hunting whoever is opposite Trevon Diggs. And by “they” I mean any NFL team with a film room.

It is on tape and it is repeated week after week since late November. Daniel Jones and then Matt Ryan. Davis Mills and Trevor Lawrence. Gardner Minshew, Josh Dobbs and Sam Howell. These are not the best of the best. These are every single quarterback the Cowboys have faced.

In talking with many of you about this team, it is clear that we have turned Anthony Brown into Deion Sanders a bit. The truth is that Brown got this party started by conceding to the Giants and Colts to get this train rolling down the track. Much like Terence Steele, when any Cowboy gets hurt, we then find a way to prop up his abilities in his absence to an unreasonable level to justify what has happened since. It is really overboard to argue that Brown was anything better than his normal level of “decent”, but only two corners have above-average coverage grades this season and they are easy to identify. Diggs is probably having his best year and DaRon Bland has been remarkable for a rookie thrown in at midseason.

Everyone else has been an adventure, including Brown. What makes us miss him is that most of his work is solid. He has a little Brandon Carr in his game in that he grades well 95 percent of the time, but we tend to focus on the other 5 percent. He was replaced by Kelvin Joseph and that didn’t go well (or long). From there, it has been Nahshon Wright, Trayvon Mullen and now we wonder if Xavier Rhodes is going to waltz in and get a turn opposite Diggs.

Rhodes, 32, is an interesting player in that he was excellent in Minnesota for many years. He went to the Pro Bowl year after year (2016, 2017, 2019) and also was a first-team All-Pro in 2017. He lost his swagger near the end and had a big contract so he spent a few years in Indianapolis for Frank Reich and was really solid in 2020 but mostly banged up in 2021. This year, he had a limited market — like so many over-30 veterans — and finally joined the Bills in November for a few games, but the return of Tre’Davious White rendered him less of a priority and they released him Jan. 4.
https://theathletic.com/4080532/2023/01/11/cowboys-wild-card-playoffs-offense/
The Cowboy snapped him up. We can only wonder if T.Y. Hilton was asked an opinion as they both were Colts and Miami guys born within a year of each other. We do know this about Rhodes: He has played a lot of football and played it well. He also was known for his wheels and ball skills for many years. He has played mostly as a zone corner and right now he is worth a look. Would the Cowboys dare to put him right in knowing that Brady and Evans will go right at him to see where he is at physically?

At the moment, it has to be a strong consideration. How much? Who can say? But, we have seen the corners they have “in front of him” and that ability to try a guy with a proven track record should not be considered a crazy plan, given the alternatives.

Remember, two weeks ago, Brady hit Evans over and over down the right sideline (banana stand) against Carolina in an aerial show that proved they still have that performance available on occasion.

The Cowboys have to consider the danger of Brady — but I doubt anyone would let them forget who he is and what wing of Canton is all his. He has credentials that go on for days. Sleeping on him is impossible.

That said, it is best we don’t make him or his offense into something they are not. I have listed for you a number of important metrics from our friends at TruMedia on how Quinn’s boys and the Bucs match up with league ranks on both sides. I cannot emphasize this enough: The Cowboys have to assume that Tampa Bay’s defense will be a problem in a loud stadium. It is up to the defense to pull its weight and maybe some of the offense’s weight for the team to advance.

If there is something for you to feel good about, it has to be this matchup in particular. Dallas has a defense that matches up tremendously well with Tampa Bay. The Cowboys have lots of green where the Bucs have lots of red. This is how mismatches look on paper. We don’t play the game on paper, but these are all good signs.

You can see, Tampa Bay seldom has success running the ball and its offense — despite Brady to Evans three times in Week 17 — has very few explosive plays. Their 1.58 points per drive is absolutely brutal and should tell you what they are usually about. Assuming you get 10 to 12 drives a game, that puts the Bucs at their normal 16 to 20 points per game.

This Cowboys defense has to do what it is capable of doing — make plays and make stops. Unlike previous Buccaneers teams, this offense has generally been compliant. They have familiar names, but at some point, we must be aware that they aren’t what they once were. They are now capable, but nowhere close to consistent.
The Cowboys should respect them, but feel confident in what they have done for four consecutive months as a defense.

Leighton Vander Esch (Kevin Jairaj / USA Today)

One more thing that might help on Monday is the return of at least three starters. Tyler Biadasz is said to be ready to rejoin the offense, and Johnathan Hankins and Leighton Vander Esch will be back for the defense. That is significant and should assist in the hopes of having more troops to deploy more split-field safety looks behind the run defense. Vander Esch has demonstrated his value this year as a steady hand at the helm and has regained his career path. I would like to see his impact Monday be a positive one and I am sure it will be, but I would also like him back. The alternatives at linebacker have been more athletic, but there is something to be said about being a vocal player who helps coordinate the defense from the field as well as a guy who makes physical plays on the ball.

Hankins provides 350 pounds of beef in the middle. We haven’t seen a ton of him, but he wasn’t brought here for the regular season. He was brought here for playoff battles on slow and muddy fields to clog up running lanes and to allow the pass rushers to feel comfortable focusing on that. Those are two important additions. Rhodes might make it three and although I haven’t written about this at length, I think it is worth noting how the Cowboys have added quite a few short-term, stop-gap veterans this year. This organization has done plenty of home-growing of their players recently and has resisted outside assistance. But, if they go anywhere this postseason, perhaps we will look at five guys they have added since August who may play significant roles down the stretch. None were big expenditures, but if they get you one or two playoff contributions to wins, they validate the entire operation:

Johnathan Hankins, T.Y. Hilton, Anthony Barr, Jason Peters and Xavier Rhodes. They may all be Pro-Bowlers from five years ago, but you don’t need them for the heavy lifting. You just need them to give you a few games here and there. We shall see how many contribute, but I like the front office’s willingness to not insist on living or dying with inexperienced draftees unless you believe in them.

The final regular-season splash play totals are in and I assume I will get some pushback here. Let me just say, these are not subjective stats. They are objective and the computer spits them out as it sees fit.

I am setting you up because DeMarcus Lawrence has done it again. After trailing Micah Parsons the whole season, he beat him at the finish line with a performance in Washington.

2022 final leaderboard: Cowboys splash plays

This is Tank’s sixth title in his nine seasons in Dallas (2015, 2017-20, 2022). He is seldom appreciated for what he does because of our obsession with sack totals, but he is quickly making a case as one of the best Cowboys’ defensive players in decades.

On the other hand, Parsons finished just behind him and will feel like he slowed down late in the season. He also will want to take out a lot of things on Tampa Bay on Monday night because he was also left off the player-voted All-Pro team this year. The players voted Myles Garrett and Nick Bosa ahead of him and I would not disagree with that, but Parsons is this team’s best player. You know what they say: Your best players have to be your best players in the biggest games.

This is a big game, Micah. Show the football world what time it is.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I think this game hinges on the offense. The defense is what it is, there's not much we can do about it at this point.

But the offense has a very high ceiling and there's no reason it shouldn't reach it or come close.

If they do that, we'll win going away.

But if they score 17 again we're going to have problems.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I'm feeling worse and worse about this game. I still like the setup of everyone trashing the team, which is far better than everyone blowing them up like usual. But it does kind of feel like the Bucs are playing better and we're on a downtrend lately.

Maybe I've just read and heard too many negative things this week. I get being cynical, but I'm surprised at the level of negativity going into this game. We're 2.5 point favorites and it feels like 90% of fans expect us to lose.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think this game hinges on the offense. The defense is what it is, there's not much we can do about it at this point.

But the offense has a very high ceiling and there's no reason it shouldn't reach it or come close.

If they do that, we'll win going away.

But if they score 17 again we're going to have problems.
You could easily say the same thing about the defense and I'd argue that it's more about the defense given that I think their issues are mostly mental/discipline related whereas the offense "is what it is" in terms of not having much in the passing game outside of Lamb and a less than 100% OL.

But defensively most of our issues stem from discipline (i.e. falling asleep against misdirection/outside runs and double moves) and mentality (truly locking in vs. the run as opposed to just wanting to pass rush).

The offense will have a tough time Monday because Tampa has a solid defense, but our defense can't let a flawed Tampa offense play how they want to play (i.e. protecting Brady with the run and quick passes), jump out to a big lead and dictate the pace/tempo of the game.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'm feeling worse and worse about this game. I still like the setup of everyone trashing the team, which is far better than everyone blowing them up like usual. But it does kind of feel like the Bucs are playing better and we're on a downtrend lately.

Maybe I've just read and heard too many negative things this week. I get being cynical, but I'm surprised at the level of negativity going into this game. We're 2.5 point favorites and it feels like 90% of fans expect us to lose.
It's because most Cowboys fans need a therapist after the last 30 years and the constant insanity swirling around the team on social media, etc.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

Brady is the GOAT. If anyone can rally a team, it's him.

But lions eat goats.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
You could easily say the same thing about the defense and I'd argue that it's more about the defense given that I think their issues are mostly mental/discipline related whereas the offense "is what it is" in terms of not having much in the passing game outside of Lamb and a less than 100% OL.

But defensively most of our issues stem from discipline (i.e. falling asleep against misdirection/outside runs and double moves) and mentality (truly locking in vs. the run as opposed to just wanting to pass rush).

The offense will have a tough time Monday because Tampa has a solid defense, but our defense can't let a flawed Tampa offense play how they want to play (i.e. protecting Brady with the run and quick passes), jump out to a big lead and dictate the pace/tempo of the game.

Nah, I don't think the ceiling of the defense is as high as the offense, particularly with the CB situation we have right now. I also don't think the defense's floor is as low as the offense. I'd be pretty shocked if the defense gave up 40, but I wouldn't be shocked at all if the offense scored 7. I also wouldn't be shocked to see the offense score 40.

Which is why I say the defense is what it is. I expect them to give up around 20ish. Not wonderful but good enough to win. But if the offense scores 17 we're in trouble.

907 JAY

Not So New Member
I really believe this game will depend on the other guys on the D Line NOT named Micah or Demarcus. Meaning if they can have an impact on the D-Line we can win the game. We did an excellent job against Tampa the first game of the season, BUT we had a healthy Micah Parsons, and healthy DLaw. Micah had two sacks that game and stopped Brady on a couple of 3rd downs in the redzone. I would love to see a big game from Odigi / Fowler / or even Armstrong. One of those dudes, gotta be a dude this game. Pass rush in Brady's face would be a game changer! NOT TO MENTION a DB outside of Diggs gotta have some PBU's, we can't be 8 yds back, with no pass rush, or TB12 will have a Retirement party against our defense. If you watch the first game of the season, TB would go empty set, 4 receivers, the outside receivers would freeze on the snap, the inside receievers would run a seem rout and wait for the safety to pick a side, and Brady would throw to the open receiver. We did a good job of stopping it with Brown/JLewis, but this game we will have Bland/ Xavier Rhodes to be challenged. It's gonna be tough, but it will be doable.

It will not be a easy game, but I see the Cowboys winning by 20.

Yes...I said it.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Sam Williams. 8th on the team with 22 splash plays in only 265 snaps. That's .083

Demarcus Lawrence had a splash play at a .073 rate. Micah Parsons at .055

Get this man on the field more.

907 JAY

Not So New Member
Sam Williams. 8th on the team with 22 splash plays in only 265 snaps. That's .083

Facts!

Cotton

Staff member
I really believe this game will depend on the other guys on the D Line NOT named Micah or Demarcus. Meaning if they can have an impact on the D-Line we can win the game. We did an excellent job against Tampa the first game of the season, BUT we had a healthy Micah Parsons, and healthy DLaw. Micah had two sacks that game and stopped Brady on a couple of 3rd downs in the redzone. I would love to see a big game from Odigi / Fowler / or even Armstrong. One of those dudes, gotta be a dude this game. Pass rush in Brady's face would be a game changer! NOT TO MENTION a DB outside of Diggs gotta have some PBU's, we can't be 8 yds back, with no pass rush, or TB12 will have a Retirement party against our defense. If you watch the first game of the season, TB would go empty set, 4 receivers, the outside receivers would freeze on the snap, the inside receievers would run a seem rout and wait for the safety to pick a side, and Brady would throw to the open receiver. We did a good job of stopping it with Brown/JLewis, but this game we will have Bland/ Xavier Rhodes to be challenged. It's gonna be tough, but it will be doable.

It will not be a easy game, but I see the Cowboys winning by 20.

Yes...I said it.
Now, I can say it...

Post more, seriously.

Cotton

Staff member

100%. And the dude is a fucking animal. I mean he has that Larry Allen attitude. Just gotta hope he can control it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
100%. And the dude is a fucking animal. I mean he has that Larry Allen attitude. Just gotta hope he can control it.
Yeah I think he will be a breakout candidate next year. He might be raw but his physical gifts are tremendous.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
But it does kind of feel like the Bucs are playing better and we're on a downtrend lately.
They've actually been worse than the Cowboys recently. It's just the media constantly harps on the Cowboys negative points while giving the Bucs a free pass.

They're 2-3 in their last 5 games with the two wins being narrow wins over the 4-13 Cardinals team and the 7-10 Panthers.

When they played quality teams during that 5 game stretch (Bengals and 49ers) they got their doors blown off.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
They've actually been worse than the Cowboys recently. It's just the media constantly harps on the Cowboys negative points while giving the Bucs a free pass.

They're 2-3 in their last 5 games with the two wins being narrow wins over the 4-13 Cardinals team and the 7-10 Panthers.

When they played quality teams during that 5 game stretch (Bengals and 49ers) they got their doors blown off.
They played really well against the Bengals in the first half but then crumbled, it was arguably their best half of football this year.

But yea, other than that they've been very bad. They were down 21-10 against Carolina in the 4th with the playoffs basically on the line, they won't be coming back against us down 11 in that situation.

• Props
Reactions: p1_
Top Bottom