Sturm: Dissecting the Cowboys - Understanding 4-year conveyor belt of NFL roster building

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
The whole time Romo was the QB they never had a QB waiting in the wings who was intended as anything other then a backup. Romo's back injury sidelined him for 10 games. Everyone took a deep breath with a rookie 4th-round pick filling in, but the Cowboys got lucky and caught lightning in a bottle with Dak (temporarily) and that was it for Romo, who graciously bowed out and then retired the next year.

Now it's the same situation: a QB in Dak who gets hurt a fair amount and goes limp in the big games -- and no QB in the pipeline, no QB who could possibly threaten Dak's starting job.

And besides, it's impossible to defend Jerry fucking Jones. Everything about him is fucking indefensible.
That doesn’t address my point. They were going QB high that year.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I think more relevant than that is the fact that Dak gets hurt. Not as bad as Romo at the end of his career but Dak has missed games over the last few years. Just having a young guy who can come in the way Dak did for Romo is actually pretty important.
His injury history is another negative factor, but failing badly heaving inaccurate passes all over the field in back to back losses vs the 49ers in the playoffs leaves Dak with no one to hide behind.

Jerry scapegoated Cooper last season and Moore now, but the real truth is Dak melted down in each game, and the only thing that kept us in it was the utter lack of QB talent on the other side.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
That makes no sense.
Exactly. Jerry blamed the loss on the not-vaccine-taking Cooper's not being a #1 WR, not on Dak. Cooper got the axe. Because it couldn't have been Dak's fault, or Heaven forbid, Jerry's.

In 2023, they whacked Kellen Moore for similar reasons.

After Dak's meltdown in the 2023/2024 postseason, McCarthy will go down, not Dak. Dak, if anything will get extended, and we won't even think about finding a successor.

Rinse and repeat until Dak can no longer physically play.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Exactly. Jerry blamed the loss on the not-vaccine-taking Cooper's not being a #1 WR, not on Dak. Cooper got the axe. Because it couldn't have been Dak's fault, or Heaven forbid, Jerry's.

In 2023, they whacked Kellen Moore for similar reasons.

After Dak's meltdown in the 2023/2024 postseason, McCarthy will go down, not Dak. Dak, if anything will get extended, and we won't even think about finding a successor.

Rinse and repeat until Dak can no longer physically play.
and then the bottom will be front and center yet again.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I hate how we put this critical move off.

We need a plan of succession instead of waiting until
Until what?

A critical move does not mean forcing an O'Connell pick.

Just go fire up the East-West Shrine game. The dude is not good.

and then the bottom will be front and center yet again.
I am not sweating the QB thing.

I realize they will use up Prescott until he simply can't play anymore and hope for the best.

There is no plan. It will really go weird if McCarthy is gone and say Quinn takes over though.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yep. We need to accept this and hope for the best.
Do we have to like it? No.

But pretending to wish them into drafting a QB in the first round for at least the next half decade just isn't something I am going to waste a lot of my valuable bitching time on.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Until what?

A critical move does not mean forcing an O'Connell pick.

Just go fire up the East-West Shrine game. The dude is not good.

I am not sweating the QB thing.

I realize they will use up Prescott until he simply can't play anymore and hope for the best.

There is no plan. It will really go weird if McCarthy is gone and say Quinn takes over though.
My post got garbled. We’re gonna ride Dak until he’s cooked, doing nothing until the end.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Do we have to like it? No.

But pretending to wish them into drafting a QB in the first round for at least the next half decade just isn't something I am going to waste a lot of my valuable bitching time on.
Hey, the DT thing came true after so many fans recognized the truth and need.

There’s an influence from the fanbase, even if it’s only to raise the question.

The groundswell of serious fan opinion starts here.

In any case, I fucking refuse to sit back and keep taking it without some major bitching, so get ready people. I’m not one to ignore what’s right in front of me, despite having chosen to be a fan of one of the worst front office setups in all of sports.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Hey, the DT thing came true after so many fans recognized the truth and need.

There’s an influence from the fanbase, even if it’s only to raise the question.

The groundswell of serious fan opinion starts here.

In any case, I fucking refuse to sit back and keep taking it without some major bitching, so get ready people. I’m not one to ignore what’s right in front of me, despite having chosen to be a fan of one of the worst front office setups in all of sports.
I clicked on your bolded part.

I thought it was a link to a billboard campaign.

Do better next time.

Top Bottom