Sturm: Bill Callahan Is Now Calling The Plays - And Yes, It Matters

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Lots of teams seem to fall for this and it isn't just Dallas. I think the problem is most safeties can cover a TE pretty well in today's NFL. Not to mention really good cover 2 zone teams will just run their standard 4-3 against it regardless. I also don't think the 12 personal has some massive advantage at running the ball against a nickle defense. Not when you consider most of these TE's are just big receivers.

I think it is a bigger advantage to put multiple WRs on the field. Few teams have a nickle or dime back that can cover worth shit and by spreading the defense out you create a lot of potential creases for a RB. Get as few players as possible in the box when running the ball. The only way to pull guys out of the box is to run multiple WRs and spread teams out. This especially makes sense when you can't run block for shit because there are less guys to block and it gives your RB to make some plays by making a guy miss.
Isn't that the Run and Shoot?
No, the Run and Shoot is a specific offense that uses that personnel. You can run a 4 Wide base from any offense: WCO, Erhardt-Perkins, Coryell, Air Raid.

Top Bottom