Stephen Jones on Draft DEs

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Don't expect anything in the next 10-15 years while Philly has a guy like Carson Wentz and we have a guy that needs EVERYTHING perfect to have success.
I think a lot of young QBs, Wentz especially, would have struggled under the pressure and predictable play calls Daks been saddled with the last three games.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Stephen isn't any smarter than his daddy. Can only hope he doesn't have his dad's ego and won't be opposed to hiring a real HC for fear he'll be overshadowed or having to give up too much control.
Our only hope lies in this post.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I think a lot of young QBs, Wentz especially, would have struggled under the pressure and predictable play calls Daks been saddled with the last three games.
Yep.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Don't expect anything in the next 10-15 years while Philly has a guy like Carson Wentz and we have a guy that needs EVERYTHING perfect to have success.
I have faith that Dak can get turned around with a coach who puts him in situations to succeed.

Right now he's got a booksmart pointdexter who doesn't have the sensitivities to respond to change.

If the GM can't fix this situation, then I agree...the Dak dream is dead.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
100%.

I don't think we'd look any different with Goff, Wentz, or any other young hotshot QB behind center.

A veteran who could basically make up his own gameplan and wing it based on the defense?

Sure, but not one of these young guys.

What people love to ignore about Wentz is that their primary RB's (Blount, Clement, Ajayi, Smallwood) are averaging nearly 5 YPC with 1279 yards on 258 carries. Those are nearly 2016 Elliott numbers, but somehow there is this belief that Wentz is simply carrying them to wins by himself, it's ridiculous.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
100%.

I don't think we'd look any different with Goff, Wentz, or any other young hotshot QB behind center.

A veteran who could basically make up his own gameplan and wing it based on the defense?

Sure, but not one of these young guys.

What people love to ignore about Wentz is that their primary RB's (Blount, Clement, Ajayi, Smallwood) are averaging nearly 5 YPC with 1279 yards on 258 carries. Those are nearly 2016 Elliott numbers, but somehow there is this belief that Wentz is simply carrying them to wins by himself, it's ridiculous.
Kind of like believing the narrative that a rookie QB was somehow better than one of the best veteran passers in the games and solely responsible for a 13-3 record?

Fans fall for nedia BS like that all the time. This very site had created the fing Cult of Dak for Pete’s sakes.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Kind of like believing the narrative that a rookie QB was somehow better than one of the best veteran passers in the games and solely responsible for a 13-3 record?

Fans fall for nedia BS like that all the time. This very site had created the fing Cult of Dak for Pete’s sakes.
Yeah that mentality was prevalent with the fan base last season. I never understood why it wasn’t apparent that the team had the support personnel to make the choreographed game plan successful. It was putting lighting in the bottle. Then I couldnt understand why the fan base couldn’t see that it would be almost impossible to repeat that circumstance. The Dallas offense doesn’t vary. Opponents figured out the system and the Cowboys didn’t field the same personnel.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

I don't think most people felt Prescott was or is better than Romo, it was about disrupting chemistry on one of the hottest teams in the league, perhaps losing the locker room, and the fact that Romo may not have been able to make it through two consecutive games.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I don't think most people felt Prescott was or is better than Romo, it was about disrupting chemistry on one of the hottest teams in the league, perhaps losing the locker room, and the fact that Romo may not have been able to make it through two consecutive games.
It’s the kind of bold move a strong HC would have made.

Not one that listened to Denzel Washington interviews about Dak.

No one knew Dak’s limitations more than Garrett, but he loved Dak because Dak listened to him. Hell, Dak had little choice, unlike 14 year vet Romo.

And to say Romo would get injured is not playing the odds. His collarbone was healed. Also his back. At worst, you still have Dak to swoop in.

Green Bay put Dallas behind the 8-ball right away because the Cowboys failed to possess the ball for most of their first three drives. You can blame the Butler confusion penalty all you want, but Dak missed throws and most importantly wasn’t pressured.

The pick was utterly ridiculous, and some people had the audacity to blame it on Garrett.

I’m no fan of RHG, but he did not throw that stupid pick. Zeke had 122 yards rushing, and did not fumble the game away like Murray.

kidd

DCC 4Life

Yup

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep, there was a beautiful chemistry going with the team last year. Dak complimented Zeke and this offensive line perfectly. You don't mess with that. Although it's funny that some people still can't let that go.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
It’s the kind of bold move a strong HC would have made.

Not one that listened to Denzel Washington interviews about Dak.

No one knew Dak’s limitations more than Garrett, but he loved Dak because Dak listened to him. Hell, Dak had little choice, unlike 14 year vet Romo.

And to say Romo would get injured is not playing the odds. His collarbone was healed. Also his back. At worst, you still have Dak to swoop in.

Green Bay put Dallas behind the 8-ball right away because the Cowboys failed to possess the ball for most of their first three drives. You can blame the Butler confusion penalty all you want, but Dak missed throws and most importantly wasn’t pressured.

The pick was utterly ridiculous, and some people had the audacity to blame it on Garrett.

I’m no fan of RHG, but he did not throw that stupid pick. Zeke had 122 yards rushing, and did not fumble the game away like Murray.
The Butler penalty was an atrocity. You also forget the TD to Witten where the LBer tackled him right in front of the ref who let it slide. That was 11 points off the board. We got rooked hard in that game.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The Butler penalty was an atrocity. You also forget the TD to Witten where the LBer tackled him right in front of the ref who let it slide. That was 11 points off the board. We got rooked hard in that game.
Excuses. We’ve recovered from negative plays before. We did it all last season— in the regular season. We once came back from 1st and 30. Again, that was the regular season.

Yep, there was a beautiful chemistry going with the team last year. Dak complimented Zeke and this offensive line perfectly. You don't mess with that.
This post was all about media narratives, which you are basically quoting. It's this story-based thinking that has taken over many things in life like most politics or weak football teams like Dallas.

That offensive line was the best anyone has ever seen. They blocked freakishly well. Somehow Romo being thrown in makes that fall apart? This is your supposed logic. But the power of the media story, the "chemistry" and "you don't mess with that" or the "Romo can't last two plays without an injury" communal rationales utterly sapped logic.

The great coaches, Parcells and Belichick, ignored the media and set their own rationale based on football knowledge.

The media narrative has shifted to Carson Wentz now. Eagles fans are looking at him through the same lenses bamboozled Cowboys fans were at Dak last year.

This year a new and opposite "Dak's been exposed" narrative started, and tons of fans have embraced it. It's stupid and far from the truth which is well in between.

Last edited:

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The reason Dallas started strong and fell on their face is because their depth isn’t as good as it should be. The starters are very capable but their backups just aren’t up to par in a lot of the key positions.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The reason Dallas started strong and fell on their face is because their depth isn’t as good as it should be. The starters are very capable but their backups just aren’t up to par in a lot of the key positions.
Yep, but the narrative is that "Dak's been exposed."

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Zeke is like the spark plug on offense. Without him it's like our offense has no passion or fire unless Dez gets going.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Zeke is like the spark plug on offense. Without him it's like our offense has no passion or fire unless Dez gets going.
He is the spark plug, the gas pedal, the ignition, the actual key, and the gas...

Top Bottom