Stephen: Cowboys open to extending Dak this offseason

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

The only way this makes any sense is if they actually use the savings to sign an impact FA, of course we already know the answer to that.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
This is Garrett all over again. One big middle finger to the fanbase.

son of deadrise

DCC 4Life
In 2017, KC had the 27th pick. They traded that pick, a third, and the 2018 1st rounder to Buffalo to pick Mahomes 10th. They already had a pretty damn good QB in Alex Smith. Mahomes spends a season as an understudy to Smith. We all know the rest of the story.

Figure Jerry and the Idiot son have a pretty good -- not great -- QB in Dak. Their draft spot is #26. Would the two of them ever have the balls, the insight, or the acumen to make that kind of a move for Dak's eventual replacement?

It's a stupid question. The answer is no, of course they wouldn't. So Dak, the good-but-not-great QB -- the safe, boring alternative, becomes the default choice.

Welcome to another trail-of-tears road to failure.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Ten more years, Stephen? :flip

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
In 2017, KC had the 27th pick. They traded that pick, a third, and the 2018 1st rounder to Buffalo to pick Mahomes 10th. They already had a pretty damn good QB in Alex Smith. Mahomes spends a season as an understudy to Smith. We all know the rest of the story.

Figure Jerry and the Idiot son have a pretty good -- not great -- QB in Dak. Their draft spot is #26. Would the two of them ever have the balls, the insight, or the acumen to make that kind of a move for Dak's eventual replacement?

It's a stupid question. The answer is no, of course they wouldn't. So Dak, the good-but-not-great QB -- the safe, boring alternative, becomes the default choice.

Mahomes is a generational player. You want to take the chance that they can find another Mahomes and give up that much of your draft on a hope? Not me.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

They'll never take that risk until at least 3-4 years from now.

I wouldn't do it this year anyway unless Young dropped to like 10 (he won't).

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
This was a foregone conclusion when he signed the contract to begin with. He will now be a bank because we mishandle the cap.

son of deadrise

DCC 4Life
Mahomes is a generational player. You want to take the chance that they can find another Mahomes and give up that much of your draft on a hope? Not me.
The scouting reports from that year had Mahomes graded as a 2nd-rounder or later. Obviously KC believed differently but he still didn't go till #10. Generational talent doesn't last till #10. Plus he had a year to sit and learn.

If the question is would I trust Jerry and Co to be that astute? No. Absolutely not. Just using that scenario to illustrate how teams that go for broke sometimes reap the rewards.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
So Mahomes isn't a generational talent? :doh

• Haha
Reactions: Rev

son of deadrise

DCC 4Life
So Mahomes isn't a generational talent? :doh
He is, but there was no guarantee of that for a prospect who most teams had graded in the 2nd round or later. KC saw something the other teams didn't, or else he would have gone before #10. They saw their chance and went all-in. It worked out for them.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
This was a foregone conclusion when he signed the contract to begin with. He will now be a bank because we mishandle the cap.
Yep. That’s why I was very much against paying Prescott as a top 10 Quarterback to begin with. Some wanted to pay him in the top 5. Sorry but this conundrum was inevitable when his deal was made.

data

Forbes #1

Paxton Lynch and Manziel

That’s our ‘track record’ in scouting/almost-drafting first round QBs

If we actually get a first round QB, hold onto your butts

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Paxton Lynch and Manziel

That’s our ‘track record’ in scouting/almost-drafting first round QBs

If we actually get a first round QB, hold onto your butts

Hell our track record outside of the 1st isn't great either.

Top Bottom