State of the NFC East

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I have finally got around to looking at what our rivals in the division have done and here are my two cents and things that grind my gears:

Philadelphia

They did a lot of shucking and jiving in the offseason/draft, but like they seem to do, they just fail to land the dismount. Offensively, I am not worried about them at all. I would hope Fat Mike was able to figure out enough about Kellen Moore that he can negate any issues in terms of "intel". They went very heavy in FA getting themselves bigger WRs. That means a shortened passing game and the run to set up the pass because of Hurts' limitations. Think what Moore did early in 2019 with Prescott in terms integrating the QB run with a lot of Barkley, which does not frighten me. The Eagles' OL will be okay if the Jurgens kid is smarter than he looks. Kelce, like him or not, made that line though. Defensively, I am not sure that the double whammy of rookie cornerbacks, one of which is white and will reportedly remain on the outside will mean with Fangio. Nothing really moves the needle for me in that regard. He is not washed like Old Man Kiffin was, but he may be getting there. And do not underestimate the effect a clown head coach can have if things are not going smoothly.

Washington

It appears they are trying pretty hard to pick up the pieces after a complete dismantling. They will be better if in no other way than attitude. Daniels will be running around like a ninny for a bit and in a perfect world they have a little Robert Griffin revival thing going off if their OL is good enough. Thing is, it's not going to be. That was their one big miss in all of the acquisitions they got. They are basically assuming Biadasz, a journeyman goomba lineman from KC and maybe the rookie Coleman blossoming into a LT is going to work and that is a lot to wish for. I have no idea how Kingsbury is going to try to make all of that work, so good luck and all. Quinn should have the defense ready to assert itself though. The line will be better with the addition of Clelin Farrell, who they should hope can offset the negative impact that Armstrong will provide. Luvu was a sneaky good FA signing and he will be used in some fun ways. But the one thing that did stick out was that they really did not make a big deal about their corners. Sainristil is a potentially solid slot, but not a boundary guy. All they have is an incumbent in St. Juste, an "Anthony Brown" type in Mike Davis and that's it. That too will not be good enough.

New York Giants

I will be shocked if they make any sort of noise at all. What they did this offseason was a very strange response to bad 2023 campaign. They kept Daniel Jones because, well I guess they have to. They did get Drew Lock in to compete, but that is not really an answer. On offense, they are basically saying Jones will not be a spaz again and that Malik Nabers is the greatest thing since what they thought they had in Beckham. Their OL does not look a lot better on paper either. I have no idea what they saw in their new DC Bowen based off what he did in Tennessee, but whatever. The Burns trade will help the rush but he is more of a flash player than a dominating force. Their LBers are pretty average and their secondary will be quite young.

All in all, we are pretty fortunate that it is not like the rest of the division was able to capitalize on a complete dud of an offseason by our geniuses in charge.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Agreed all around.

The Eagles love to constantly shuffle the deck and see where it leads, they catch lighting in a bottle every few years but I don't think this will be one of those years. Replacing Reddick with Huff is a big downgrade and was seemingly a cost-cutting move where they got rid of probably their best defensive player from the last two years. Cox is gone, Barkley is whatever, but most importantly like you said, Kelce was the true lynchpin of their OL and arguably their entire team, with him gone the entire offense could easily fall apart even more than it did last year. Their only hope is that Stoutland maintains control over the OL scheme and Moore is able to just kind of fill in around that, but if Moore is the one truly running the entire offense it's going to be a mess.

They could win the division because we dicked around all offseason but I don't look at them as a true conference contender.

The Skins spent a bunch of money to cap out around 9-7 at best, I think they could be a darkhorse contender for the division but only if us and the Eagles completely fall apart with injuries, and everything falls exactly right for them (i.e. sneaking it out with 9 or 10 wins). Their defense will be decent with their DT's and all the money they invested at LB with Luvu, Wagner and Chinn (he'll be a Kearse-like LB/S hybrid), but ultimately their OL is still average at best, their WR's are literally worse than what Daniels had at LSU last year, their secondary/DE's are questionable at best, and their offense will be middling unless Daniels is running around like a chicken with its head cut off while somehow avoiding injury.

I have no faith in Kingsbury to really develop Daniels and I think you'll probably see something similar to what Kyler Murray was under him. A flash player that puts up stats against average and worse teams, along with some highlight reel plays, but ultimately it's more sizzle than steak.

The Giants are meh as long as Jones is their QB, and they just have very little talent offensively overall. Nabers will be legit but he's a rookie, their OL is meh, their best RB is Devin Singletary, Darren Waller is cooked and half retired. I think their defense will keep them respectable between guys like Lawrence, Burns, Okereke and such, but there's no chance they get to 10 wins unless they go on some fluke run with 8 wins by 3 points or less or something.

We're still arguably the best team in the division, the problem is we could've been head and shoulders above the rest if these lazy hillbilly fucks could be bothered to make 2-3 real offseason moves.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Agreed all around.

The Eagles love to constantly shuffle the deck and see where it leads, they catch lighting in a bottle every few years but I don't think this will be one of those years. Replacing Reddick with Huff is a big downgrade and was seemingly a cost-cutting move where they got rid of probably their best defensive player from the last two years. Cox is gone, Barkley is whatever, but most importantly like you said, Kelce was the true lynchpin of their OL and arguably their entire team, with him gone the entire offense could easily fall apart even more than it did last year. Their only hope is that Stoutland maintains control over the OL scheme and Moore is able to just kind of fill in around that, but if Moore is the one truly running the entire offense it's going to be a mess.

They could win the division because we dicked around all offseason but I don't look at them as a true conference contender.

The Skins spent a bunch of money to cap out around 9-7 at best, I think they could be a darkhorse contender for the division but only if us and the Eagles completely fall apart with injuries, and everything falls exactly right for them (i.e. sneaking it out with 9 or 10 wins). Their defense will be decent with their DT's and all the money they invested at LB with Luvu, Wagner and Chinn (he'll be a Kearse-like LB/S hybrid), but ultimately their OL is still average at best, their WR's are literally worse than what Daniels had at LSU last year, their secondary/DE's are questionable at best, and their offense will be middling unless Daniels is running around like a chicken with its head cut off while somehow avoiding injury.

I have no faith in Kingsbury to really develop Daniels and I think you'll probably see something similar to what Kyler Murray was under him. A flash player that puts up stats against average and worse teams, along with some highlight reel plays, but ultimately it's more sizzle than steak.

The Giants are meh as long as Jones is their QB, and they just have very little talent offensively overall. Nabers will be legit but he's a rookie, their OL is meh, their best RB is Devin Singletary, Darren Waller is cooked and half retired. I think their defense will keep them respectable between guys like Lawrence, Burns, Okereke and such, but there's no chance they get to 10 wins unless they go on some fluke run with 8 wins by 3 points or less or something.

We're still arguably the best team in the division, the problem is we could've been head and shoulders above the rest if these lazy hillbilly fucks could be bothered to make 2-3 real offseason moves.
Whatever, homer.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
How is Lance ahead of any of the other backups?

Top Bottom