State of the Defense

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
After listening to Quinn's PC, and considering that it's unlikely that we add anybody else of significance, here's how I see the defense going into 2021.

First, a few takeaways from Quinn's PC:

1. We'll be in nickel/dime with a 4-man line 60-70% of the time (which is pretty standard, @Iamtdg hollatchaboi), but our base looks will be closer to a 3-4 which makes a lot of sense given the Urban signing and the Odighizuwa/Golston picks.
2. Keanu Neal is a LB (I assume this is a function of being nickel/dime primarily but in base I'm sure he'll toggle).
3. Odighizuwa will start off focusing on being an interior pass-rusher in nickel/dime, although I'm sure the long term goal is to have him playing a role similar to Brent Urban as a jumbo/5T DE in base.

With all that said, here's how I see our personnel, starting with nickel/dime since that's where we'll be most of the time:
  • Edge Rushers: Lawrence, Gregory, Basham
  • Interior Rushers: Gallimore, Hill, Odighizuwa, Golston, maybe Lawrence/Basham rotate on the interior here and there
  • Coverage LB's: Neal, LVE, Smith, Cox
  • Secondary: Diggs, Kazee, Wilson, Brown, Lewis, Joseph
Biggest Position Battles/Questions: Neal should clearly be our top nickel/dime LB, who will be next to him? Who will be our CB's 2/3 from the Brown/Joseph/Lewis group? Who will cement themselves as our best interior pass-rushers? Could Lewis or someone else (Mukuamu?) push Kazee at FS? Can any fringe types like Dorance Armstrong, Maurice Canady, Bradlee Anae, Reggie Robinson, Mukuamu or Kearse force their way in to a few snaps?

And the base "3-4":
  • 5T "DE's": Urban, Odighizuwa, Golston
  • 1T: Woods, Watkins, Bohannon, maybe Hill?
  • 3T: Gallimore, Hill, Odighizuwa
  • Traditional DE's who will likely also stand up: Lawrence, Gregory, Basham, maybe Armstrong?
  • LB's: LVE, Smith, Neal
  • CB: Diggs, CB2 (Brown/Joseph?)
  • S: Kazee, Wilson/Neal
Biggest Position Battles/Questions: Who will be our CB2? Will both Neal/Wilson be on the field at the same time in base or is it one or the other? Who will rise to the top at 3T/1T from the group of Gallimore/Hill/Woods/Watkins/Bohannon?

Conspicuously absent of course is Micah Parsons and I did that purposely because I think he's a massive wild card who needs his own discussion. I believe he is a rare outlier like a Jamal Adams or Devin White who is capable of putting up 8-10 sacks at a non-pass rushing position, probably not this year, but soon. On top of that he has the athleticism to be an amazing coverage LB.

I could easily see him being moved all over the place like a Troy Polamalu or Adams, sometimes playing your traditional Mike/Will in base, sometimes lining up as a LEO/something similar to a 3-4 OLB who could either drop in coverage or blitz. In nickel/dime I could see him being one of our top traditional coverage LB's while simultaneously being one of our most feared blitzers who can be brought off the edge, through the A/B gap, or off stunts/twists. I wouldn't be shocked if by the end of the year the pass protections of opposing offenses are primarily focused on Lawrence first and Parsons second.

We've definitely added some viable pieces who should improve the defense but the big question marks are what they were previously, FS and DT. I think a 3-4 base look will help mitigate the DT situation against the run with 5T's like Urban eating up blocks but ultimately those two positions could easily be our Achilles heel yet again.

Theoretically I'm sure the idea is to have what should be an elite offense build leads and then unleash guys like Lawrence, Gregory and Parsons and hopefully force a good amount of turnovers with ballhawks like Diggs/Joseph/Kazee/Wilson on the back end. It makes a lot of sense, particularly because you aren't going to go from a historically bad defense to an elite one in one offseason.

p1_

DCC 4Life
the unit needed a complete makeover, and this was step one toward that. It will be, as Garrett used to say, a process.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I'm really stoked to see what Parsons and Cox can do. I think they make the perfect complementary pair. If LVE can return to even a semblance of his former self, we could have one of the better LBer corps in the league.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
It would be shocking if he was our starting CB. I could see him fitting in here and there in nickel/dime maybe but I could also see him cut in TC.
His play in 2019 was really solid. Unlike Awuzie, I think Canady’s gotten better every year. Lewis might also transition to the outside. The rook should take over mid season

Bottom line, we must improve the defensive front, and I think we did that. Dallas fielded the worst DT group in the entire league last year. Poe, Crawford— these guys aren’t in the league anymore.

If teams can leave our pass rushers guessing with runs up the gut, CB almost doesn’t matter

Shiningstar

DCC 4Life
Its Quinns job to set the tone of the defense. if he doesnt, it all fails, if he can do one simple task, it will be enough for the offense to carry the season, depending on KM. Mike should be more concerned with how his pieces are working as a whole.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
With all that said, here's how I see our personnel, starting with nickel/dime since that's where we'll be most of the time:
  • Edge Rushers: Lawrence, Gregory, Basham
  • Interior Rushers: Gallimore, Hill, Odighizuwa, Golston, maybe Lawrence/Basham rotate on the interior here and there
  • Coverage LB's: Neal, LVE, Smith, Cox
  • Secondary: Diggs, Kazee, Wilson, Brown, Lewis, Joseph

And the base "3-4":
  • 5T "DE's": Urban, Odighizuwa, Golston
  • 1T: Woods, Watkins, Bohannon, maybe Hill?
  • 3T: Gallimore, Hill, Odighizuwa
  • Traditional DE's who will likely also stand up: Lawrence, Gregory, Basham, maybe Armstrong?
  • LB's: LVE, Smith, Neal
  • CB: Diggs, CB2 (Brown/Joseph?)
  • S: Kazee, Wilson/Neal
No Parsons?

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
No Parsons?
He mentioned later why he didn't include Parsons. Which I think is kind of silly, since he will be a major part of the defense, and i don't really see the point of discussing the defense with him not included. Somebody that was discussed will not be there, with Parsons in their place.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
He mentioned later why he didn't include Parsons. Which I think is kind of silly, since he will be a major part of the defense, and i don't really see the point of discussing the defense with him not included. Somebody that was discussed will not be there, with Parsons in their place.
I didn't include him in a specific grouping because I think his role will be so prominent and multi-dimensional that it deserved to be discussed separately.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I didn't include him in a specific grouping because I think his role will be so prominent and multi-dimensional that it deserved to be discussed separately.
I do wonder hpw we will deploy him. Is he going to be a 3-4 OLBer in our base set? Or is he more of a Blitzer from the inside. Jaylon is the tough one to figure out how we use. He sort of sucks at everything compared to the guys we got. He sucks against the run, but maybe one of the two inside guys in our base package? In nickel I think Cox is a better coverage LBer. So I don't see the point of Jaylon on the field in nickel or dime. Not sure how we plan to use Parsons in those formations either. He would be a stud Blitzer in the nickel but I'm assuming LVE will be on the field too. And Cox is the coverage guy, so he should really be a nickel LBer.

Anyway, it's a good problem to have. Well other than Jaylon, he is just a problem.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I do wonder hpw we will deploy him. Is he going to be a 3-4 OLBer in our base set? Or is he more of a Blitzer from the inside. Jaylon is the tough one to figure out how we use. He sort of sucks at everything compared to the guys we got. He sucks against the run, but maybe one of the two inside guys in our base package? In nickel I think Cox is a better coverage LBer. So I don't see the point of Jaylon on the field in nickel or dime. Not sure how we plan to use Parsons in those formations either. He would be a stud Blitzer in the nickel but I'm assuming LVE will be on the field too. And Cox is the coverage guy, so he should really be a nickel LBer.

Anyway, it's a good problem to have. Well other than Jaylon, he is just a problem.
I think his position will be mostly nebulous, especially in Quinn's scheme.

Given the kind of unique 3-4 sort of looks he likes to give in base I think Parsons will line up as a traditional Mike/Will as well as a Sam on the LOS, which based on how Quinn likes to run his scheme will likely be more of a LEO/quasi 3-4 OLB. In nickel I think he'll move all around the formation.

Either way I think he'll be brought on blitzes very heavily from pretty much any alignment/down and distance. I didn't want to characterize him as one thing or another because I truly do believe he's going to be all over the formation, dropping in coverage one play, coming on a blitz up the middle the next and then coming off the edge the play after that.

He's not an "edge" by any means but I do think he will line up similarly at times.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The more I see if what we are wanting to do, it is a lot like what Nolan wanted to do but couldn't.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The more I see if what we are wanting to do, it is a lot like what Nolan wanted to do but couldn't.
This is very true. Quinn is younger, more passionate, and had much more recent success though.

You have to have the personnel to run these schemes. Good thing about a 3-4 is you can control the liability of limited linebackers like Smith and Vander Esch while better exploiting their strengths.

Positive Changes over 2020:
1) Potential blue chip talent added in Parsons and Joseph
2) Cox, Osa, Golston, Canady, Neal, Kazee, Urban, Basham, and Watkins (I'm also rooting for Bohanna)
3) Quinn

Rising Talent:
1) Diggs
2) Gregory
3) Gallimore
4) Hill
5) Anae/Armstrong

Declining Talent
1) Smith
2) Vander Esch

Addition by Subtraction:
1) Crawford
2) Nolan
3) Poe
4) Xavier Woods
5) Lee

WGAS Losses
1) Chidobe Awuzie

Negative Changes over 2020:
1) Maybe Joe Thomas leaving

Overall Assessment: A lot better than 2020, but can't tell because the team will be so different.

GShock

DCC 4Life
I literally can’t process what we will look like, and maybe that’s the point of being multiple. I don’t feel great about where we are up the middle or 1 on 1 vs quality WRs. I hope Quinn can better communicate his vision than the 3 HC (or whatever) defense under Nolan did. The NFC East offenses should be hot garbage, but they were last year and we were helpless.

Just be average. Please?

Top Bottom