Source: Cowboys LB Leighton Vander Esch will undergo neck surgery, ending his season

vince

Not So New Member

By Michael Gehlken
4:01 PM on Dec 23, 2019

Leighton Vander Esch plans to undergo “minimally invasive” neck surgery to fix a nerve issue and will miss the remainder of the 2019 season, a source said Monday.
The former Pro Bowl linebacker has been sidelined for the Cowboys’ past five games with a bulging disk following an Oct. 20 stinger. He won’t play in the regular-season finale Sunday against the Washington Redskins or in any postseason games, should Dallas qualify.
Vander Esch, 23, underwent an MRI exam Monday. The plan for surgery was finalized thereafter.

The procedure should occur in January, and Vander Esch is expected to be ready well before training camp.

Entering Monday’s exam, the 2018 first-round pick was resolved to the fact he wouldn’t play in the Cowboys’ 2019 finale at AT&T Stadium.
Dallas can qualify for the postseason Sunday with a win over the Redskins and a Philadelphia loss at the New York Giants. Dallas, which failed to clinch a playoff berth when losing Sunday to the Eagles, no longer controls its own playoff fate.

“At this point, with the way the season is going, it probably wouldn’t be very smart to play next week,” Vander Esch said Sunday at Lincoln Financial Field. “It’s one game, and it’s out of our control. If it was in our control, that’d be one thing. But it’s out of our control.
“If we win next week and the Eagles lose, then I’m freaking rolling [for the playoffs]. That’s what the plan has been.”
This plan no longer applies.

Vander Esch’s season concludes with 72 tackles and one forced fumble in nine starts.
His play before an Oct. 20 stinger injury against the Eagles did not match his rookie-year production. While certainly flashing, the former Boise State standout also saw a rise in missed tackles.
Neck soreness and other symptoms kept him from a chance to finish the season’s second half strong.
Vander Esch becomes the second Cowboys linebacker recently ruled out for the season. Rookie reserve Luke Gifford suffered a fractured forearm Dec. 15.
Joe Thomas also has dealt with a knee injury the past two games.

In light of these injuries, Malcolm Smith played 48 defensive snaps in Sunday’s 17-9 loss to the Eagles. He signed with the Cowboys five days earlier.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Hahaha. Jerry and his x-rays.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
And they kept saying "day to day" for over a month.

BTW, you don't have surgery for a stinger. They have avoided real talk about this, as usual.

midswat

... soon
Well that’ll put a damper on the playoff push

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
In light of the recent rash of early gambles that haven't exactly paid off, hopefully they take the first three rounds of next year's draft a little more seriously, and stop with the "gut feeling" nonsense.

2019: Trystan Hill, 2nd Rd - Connor McGovern, 3rd Rd
2018: LVE, 1st Rd -- Conner Williams, 2nd Rd
2017: Taco Charleton, 1st Rd
2016: Jaylon Smith, 2nd Rd

IIRC, there were clearly better/safer options on the board for all of those guys, but Jerry the wild-cutter is addicted to taking risks.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

BTW, you don't have surgery for a stinger. They have avoided real talk about this, as usual.
Im sure this was the pre draft stuff and Im not sure that he will be back.

UncleMilti

Staff member
Twitter folks are saying it’s possible career threatening

Donpingon

DCC 4Life
In light of the recent rash of early gambles that haven't exactly paid off, hopefully they take the first three rounds of next year's draft a little more seriously, and stop with the "gut feeling" nonsense.

2019: Trystan Hill, 2nd Rd - Connor McGovern, 3rd Rd
2018: LVE, 1st Rd -- Conner Williams, 2nd Rd
2017: Taco Charleton, 1st Rd
2016: Jaylon Smith, 2nd Rd

IIRC, there were clearly better/safer options on the board for all of those guys, but Jerry the wild-cutter is addicted to taking risks.
I don’t think there’s a more futile image than watching Jaylon on a blitz through the middle

Rev

Staff member
Im certainly worried about that. My wife had the same surgery a year ago now and is still not fully recovered. We dont even think its any better so cant imagine trying to play a professional sport.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I specifically remember rumors floating around prior to the draft about LVE possibly having medical issues with his neck. Those are the kinds of risks this front office needs to stop taking with our 1st - 3rd round picks.

Even with Jaylon Smith. Sure he's been on the field but aside from last season he really hasn't been good at all.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I don’t think there’s a more futile image than watching Jaylon on a blitz through the middle
Rushing the passer and filling run gaps are supposed to be his strong suits. I've rarely seen him make an impact in either of those areas this year.

Also, he's probably our weakest LB in terms of coverage skills. Dude just lacks the instincts to be a consistent play maker. Hopefully whatever new staff is brought in can get more out of him.

UncleMilti

Staff member
I specifically remember rumors floating around prior to the draft about LVE possibly having medical issues with his neck. Those are the kinds of risks this front office needs to stop taking with our 1st - 3rd round picks.

Even with Jaylon Smith. Sure he's been on the field but aside from last season he really hasn't been good at all.
The LBer play has been atrocious as has the entire defense for the most part. After hitting on some nice draft picks, then shitting the bed on the like of Hill and Charlton it’s looking like it’s going to take a couple really good drafts and a real foray into difference makers in FA.
This shit of gambling with picks and bargain shopping in FA hasn’t done anything to move the needle towards a SB.

p1_

DCC 4Life

I’m sure it’s fusion

1bigfan13

Staff member
Cervical spinal stenosis is apparently the condition LVE has.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Cowboys LB Leighton Vander Esch to undergo neck surgery, has spinal stenosis

The former rookie Pro Bowler has been sidelined for the Cowboys’ past five games with a disk issue following an Oct. 20 stinger.

By Michael Gehlken

Leighton Vander Esch plans to undergo “minimally invasive” neck surgery to fix a nerve issue and will miss the remainder of the 2019 season, a source said Monday.

The former Pro Bowl linebacker has been sidelined for the Cowboys’ past five games with a bulging disk following an Oct. 20 stinger. He won’t play in their regular-season finale Sunday against the Washington Redskins or in any postseason games, if Dallas qualifies.

Vander Esch, 23, underwent an MRI exam on Monday. The plan for surgery was finalized thereafter. His procedure should occur in January, and he’s expected to resume football activities well before the July start of training camp.

An important backdrop to Vander Esch’s situation is a diagnosis predating his NFL entrance.

He has cervical spinal stenosis, a condition featuring a narrowed spinal column in the neck. One consequence for affected individuals is increased nerve sensitivity to a bulging or herniated disk, which can require surgery if more conservative treatment methods do not alleviate symptoms. Those can include numbness or tingling in limbs.

NFL teams were aware Vander Esch had the condition before the 2018 draft when the Cowboys selected the Boise State standout with the 19th overall pick.

He plays with a neck collar to help protect the area.

“From what the doctors say, I was born with stenosis,” Vander Esch said following Sunday’s 17-9 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles. “So it’s something you’ve got to deal with. Nothing was bothering me until I got hit in Week 7. I’ve got a new set of pads being built, and I’ve been running and practicing in those. So it feels good. ... We were just saving up for playoffs hopefully, but it’s out of my control.”

This upcoming procedure is not singularly considered career-threatening, and there is no expectation it will affect his 2020 availability.

Still, the surgery carries potential long-term implications of consequence.

Dr. Neel Anand works in Los Angeles as a professor of orthopaedic surgery and director of spine trauma at Cedars-Sinai Spine Center. He has not personally evaluated Vander Esch but is familiar with spinal stenosis and disk issues in sports, having worked with current and retired athletes. Anand cautioned about NFL career longevity concerns for Vander Esch if disk problems persist.

To undergo this neck surgery once is one thing.

Should it be done again, Anand said, a serious conversation about Vander Esch’s career would be required. Essentially, the January surgery is significant because it removes an important buffer between Vander Esch and a second neck surgery that would mandate a hard look at retirement.

“If it happens again, I’m quite sure it would be a good idea not to play,” Anand said in a recent phone interview. “You’re risking the spinal cord. At the end of the day, your spinal cord takes precedence over any amount of athleticism or whatever incentives are involved. It is your spinal cord. So I think if you get it the second time around, most people would advise not to play. The risk is just too much. ... Nobody wants a spinal cord injury. No.”

For weeks, surgery was an option that Vander Esch and the Cowboys understood was on the table but nonetheless hoped to avoid.

On Sunday, he was resolved to the fact he wouldn’t play in the regular-season finale at AT&T Stadium. The team can qualify for a postseason berth Sunday with a win over the Redskins and an Eagles loss at the New York Giants. Dallas failed to clinch a playoff berth when losing Sunday to the Eagles. The team no longer controls its own playoff destiny.

Before the MRI exam, Vander Esch expressed optimism that he could play in the postseason.

He based that outlook, he said, on how his symptoms have improved.

“At this point, with the way the season is going, it probably wouldn’t be very smart to play next week,” Vander Esch said Sunday at Lincoln Financial Field. “It’s one game, and it’s out of our control. If it was in our control, that’d be one thing. But it’s out of our control. If we win next week and the Eagles lose, then I’m freaking rolling [for the playoffs]. That’s what the plan has been.”

This plan no longer applies.

His season concludes with 72 tackles and one forced fumble in nine starts.

Vander Esch’s play before the Oct. 20 injury against the Eagles did not match his rookie-year production. While certainly flashing, he also saw a rise in missed tackles. Lingering neck soreness and other symptoms kept him from a chance to finish the season’s second half strong.

“He’s a good football player,” coach Jason Garrett said Monday afternoon. “I thought he continued to grow from his experience last year. Obviously, did a lot of great things for us as a rookie, and we feel like he got better. Unfortunately, he hasn’t played as much as we would have liked, and he’s been dealing with this neck injury. We’re going to do the right thing by him. This is the right thing for his career, and we do believe he’ll be back healthy and ready to play again at a very high level.”

Vander Esch became the second Cowboys linebacker recently ruled out for the season. Rookie reserve Luke Gifford suffered a fractured arm on Dec. 15. Joe Thomas also has dealt with a knee injury the past two games.

In light of these injuries, Malcolm Smith played 48 defensive snaps in Sunday’s 17-9 loss to the Eagles. He signed with the Cowboys five days earlier. He hadn’t played an NFL defensive snap since the San Francisco 49ers’ third preseason game four months ago.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

disk problems already. not looking good at the moment

Rev

Staff member
He was asked about the neck collar and he specifically said it wasnt a neck thing.

Top Bottom