So What Are Your Expectations Now....

data

Forbes #1
JJ Watt's OMG so-awesome 'hurry' on Romo was also a 50-yard TD. A sack is never a TD.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
While hurries are nice, and important too, a sack has the added bonus of putting a hit on the QB. Enough hits and the QB gets uncomfortable in the pocket and more apt to make mistakes.

Thats kind of my thinking.

I like the fact this DL is getting some hurries, but I think against guys like Manning and Rogers the only thing that helps get them off their game are some hits to go along with some nice pressure.

Eli is another QB that gets easily rattled when he's hit...look at what happened against the Eagles. Manning was sacked 6 times, was hit another 11 times and he threw for 151 yards. . He averaged 4 yards per throw.

Against us, he had no sacks, was hit 3 times, threw for 252 yards and avg'd 8 yards per pass.

Yeah...sacks might be overated in this current NFL but I think to be a contender in the playoffs this team has to start putting the QB on the ground.

Last edited:

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
JJ Watt's OMG so-awesome 'hurry' on Romo was also a 50-yard TD. A sack is never a TD.
Anthony Spencer was jealous of Watt's almost sack.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Always seemed like a lot of Spencer's 'hurries' resulted in a pass for a first down or TD back when he was king of the almost-sack.

data

Forbes #1
Always seemed like a lot of Spencer's 'hurries' resulted in a pass for a first down or TD back when he was king of the almost-sack.
Hell. Seems like half of the hurries on Roethlisberger, Russell Wilson and Kaepernick result in 1st downs.

Last edited:

hstour

Brand New Member
Thats kind of my thinking.

I like the fact this DL is getting some hurries, but I think against guys like Manning and Rogers the only thing that helps get them off their game are some hits to go along with some nice pressure.

Eli is another QB that gets easily rattled when he's hit...look at what happened against the Eagles. Manning was sacked 6 times, was hit another 11 times and he threw for 151 yards. . He averaged 4 yards per throw.

Against us, he had no sacks, was hit 3 times, threw for 252 yards and avg'd 8 yards per pass.

Yeah...sacks might be overated in this current NFL but I think to be a contender in the playoffs this team has to start putting the QB on the ground.
The Giants also changed their offensive game plan between the Eagles and Cowboys game to specifically try to get the ball out of Eli's hands quicker. He held the ball an average of 2.6 seconds on pass plays against Dallas. I don't remember seeing many 7 step drops.

Carp

DCC 4Life
The difference in a sack and disruptive hurry with a second and six situation can be a third and six or a third and twelve. Yes sacks are important.
No one is saying they are not important. However, with an emphasis on a short passing game and getting the ball out of the QBs hand quickly, sure tackling is at a premium because there are more opportunities out in open space.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
No one is saying they are not important. However, with an emphasis on a short passing game and getting the ball out of the QBs hand quickly, sure tackling is at a premium because there are more opportunities out in open space.
I agree with that if the defense alignment doesn't give too much space and tries to close on the short passing game. A sure tackle is needed but if it comes 6 or 7 yards down the field it won't stop a drive. I see the Dallas defense sometime giving up 12 yards of space then retreating when the ball is snapped. They can't close quick enough on the short pass so all that is left is a disruption scheme to the QB. That's where you need a quick pass rusher.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I agree with that if the defense alignment doesn't give too much space and tries to close on the short passing game. A sure tackle is needed but if it comes 6 or 7 yards down the field it won't stop a drive. I see the Dallas defense sometime giving up 12 yards of space then retreating when the ball is snapped. They can't close quick enough on the short pass so all that is left is a disruption scheme to the QB. That's where you need a quick pass rusher.
We are actually not giving up too much space in base alignments...unless you count the end of game stuff like against the Giants, I just don't see all that much of it. I am fully aware that a sack takes a toll on QBs and they lose yards, but without that, we have done a great job of limiting gains after catches and stringing plays out.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
We are actually not giving up too much space in base alignments...unless you count the end of game stuff like against the Giants, I just don't see all that much of it. I am fully aware that a sack takes a toll on QBs and they lose yards, but without that, we have done a great job of limiting gains after catches and stringing plays out.
The real test as to how the short passing game defense is effective will be the Denver game. Their alignments on offense is to give Manning at least 4 seconds (or more) from the snap. If Dallas can't press the receivers at the line of scrimmage they will give up the short pass all day. Dallas will have to disrupt the receivers closel to the LOS and hope a pass rush can get in Mannings face. I haven't seen Dallas do this with any consistency this season. It has been effective so far but Denver is a master at the short passing game and they can become balanced with their running game as well.

Carp

DCC 4Life
The real test as to how the short passing game defense is effective will be the Denver game. Their alignments on offense is to give Manning at least 4 seconds (or more) from the snap. If Dallas can't press the receivers at the line of scrimmage they will give up the short pass all day. Dallas will have to disrupt the receivers closel to the LOS and hope a pass rush can get in Mannings face. I haven't seen Dallas do this with any consistency this season. It has been effective so far but Denver is a master at the short passing game and they can become balanced with their running game as well.
We don't have Denver on the schedule though.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's just like Seattle did against the Broncos. Get up close to the line of scrimmage with your corners and be physical with the WR's. Then when they do catch the ball tackle well. The forumula to stop the Bronco's offense isn't that complicated but they are really good at what they do.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
It's just like Seattle did against the Broncos. Get up close to the line of scrimmage with your corners and be physical with the WR's. Then when they do catch the ball tackle well. The forumula to stop the Bronco's offense isn't that complicated but they are really good at what they do.
I think teams don't copy what the Seahawks did both because they don't have the personnel and because of the new PI enforcement.

Nothing like embarrassing the league's best offense in front of 100 million or so viewers to get the league to alter its rules

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I think teams don't copy what the Seahawks did both because they don't have the personnel and because of the new PI enforcement.

Nothing like embarrassing the league's best offense in front of 100 million or so viewers to get the league to alter its rules
Just another reason Fagdell is the worst Commish ever.

hstour

Brand New Member
But they haven't given up many over the top scores. They are very good at swarming to the ball. I'd rather getting burned for scores. At least that gives them more chances to make something happen.

And they had a couple of timely forced turnovers vs the Giants.

Top Bottom