So it was Linehan's idea to bring in Alexander?

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Everything the guy touches turns to shit.

Is there a pattern here?

Linehan was an abysmal failure as a HC. It's Garrett's idea to bring him to Dallas.

Alexander's O-line at Cincy was a perennial underperformer. But it's Linehan's idea to bring him to Dallas as OL coach -- and change a blocking scheme that had operated at a high level.

Also Linehan's idea to bring in another bunch no-name coaches from subpar organizations.

Really sounds like an organization that wants to win, eh?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Where are you seeing this? If it is from the organization then you can damn sure bet Linehan is next. They would be setting him up to be scapegoated.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
We will see how much Jerry cares about winning. If the Cowboys finish 6-10 to 8-8 there’s no damn excuse he can throw out to the fan base that justifies keeping any of the shitheads coaching this dumpster fire.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Where are you seeing this? If it is from the organization then you can damn sure bet Linehan is next. They would be setting him up to be scapegoated.
Ask and ye shall receive:

From Cowboys Wire

The Cowboys seem to be paving the path towards no remaining excuses for offensive coordinator Scott Linehan. Monday’s firing of offensive line coach Paul Alexander should be viewed as another indictment of Linehan’s off-season game plan to overhaul the Dallas offense around Dak Prescott and Ezekiel Elliott.

Linehan was the clear winner in a deep power struggle at the offices at The Star this past January, as almost every position coach on offense was removed from their perch and replaced with Linehan choices.

Out with Wade Wilson, in with Kellen Moore as quarterback coach. Out with Derek Dooley, in with Sanjay Lal as receivers coach. Out with Steve Loney, in with Doug Nussmeier. Out with Frank Pollack, in with Alexander. Only running backs coach Gary Brown remained.

The position coach upheaval was followed by the jettisoning of WR Dez Bryant, the franchise leader in touchdowns. The Cowboys tried and failed (thankfully) to give Sammy Watkins a ton of cash in the offseason, and have now acquired Amari Cooper.

Cooper gives Dallas a complete receiver who has the raw speed to stretch the defense, and the moves to get open from defenders. With the move to acquire the 2015 fourth-overall pick and the move to replace Alexander, there aren’t any remaining excuses should the Cowboys offense not be resuscitated.

If Dallas fails to improve on that side of the ball, the fingers have nowhere else to point but Linehan, including a failure to get Dak Prescott to improve from his standout 2016 rookie performance. His ascension should be canceling out whatever is failing around him which worked perfectly in his rookie season. The onus is on Linehan to have created an offense, and had coaching in place to facilitate that.

So if things don’t work out, it wouldn’t shock for Linehan to sometime this season be relieved of play-calling duties ...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

From Cowboys Wire

The Cowboys seem to be paving the path towards no remaining excuses for offensive coordinator Scott Linehan. Monday’s firing of offensive line coach Paul Alexander should be viewed as another indictment of Linehan’s off-season game plan to overhaul the Dallas offense around Dak Prescott and Ezekiel Elliott.

Linehan was the clear winner in a deep power struggle at the offices at The Star this past January, as almost every position coach on offense was removed from their perch and replaced with Linehan choices.

Out with Wade Wilson, in with Kellen Moore as quarterback coach. Out with Derek Dooley, in with Sanjay Lal as receivers coach. Out with Steve Loney, in with Doug Nussmeier. Out with Frank Pollack, in with Alexander. Only running backs coach Gary Brown remained.

The position coach upheaval was followed by the jettisoning of WR Dez Bryant, the franchise leader in touchdowns. The Cowboys tried and failed (thankfully) to give Sammy Watkins a ton of cash in the offseason, and have now acquired Amari Cooper.

Cooper gives Dallas a complete receiver who has the raw speed to stretch the defense, and the moves to get open from defenders. With the move to acquire the 2015 fourth-overall pick and the move to replace Alexander, there aren’t any remaining excuses should the Cowboys offense not be resuscitated.

If Dallas fails to improve on that side of the ball, the fingers have nowhere else to point but Linehan, including a failure to get Dak Prescott to improve from his standout 2016 rookie performance. His ascension should be canceling out whatever is failing around him which worked perfectly in his rookie season. The onus is on Linehan to have created an offense, and had coaching in place to facilitate that.

So if things don’t work out, it wouldn’t shock for Linehan to sometime this season be relieved of play-calling duties ...
Yep. He gone.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

From Cowboys Wire

JFC Garrett is going to just sacrifice another scapegoat and escape again

Smitty

DCC 4Life
It's quite obviously not "all" Linehan's offense; and it shouldn't be anyway, as Garrett as a head coach has enough offensive background that his involvement should go beyond mere head coach managing; he should probably have a more direct say in how his offense functions.

I do find it funny how everyone was praising Linehan and now saying he sucks. Worm turns quick around here.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Wait a minute. How does an OC have the authority to make wholesale changes in the ranks of position coaches? Linehan is Garrett's asshole buddy and offensive soulmate. I refuse to believe that Jerry and Stephen did not have a role or at least veto power over making all those changes.

So Garrett had to be heavily involved in order for Linehan to prevail in getting rid of those people.

I hesitate to ask this question, but how would Jerry not know that Linehan's fuck ups are also Garrett's fuck-ups. If Jerry allows Garrett to scapegoat Linehan the franchise is truly doomed.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Wait a minute. How does an OC have the authority to make wholesale changes in the ranks of position coaches? Linehan is Garrett's asshole buddy and offensive soulmate. I refuse to believe that Jerry and Stephen did not have a role or at least veto power over making all those changes.

So Garrett had to be heavily involved in order for Linehan to prevail in getting rid of those people.

I hesitate to ask this question, but how would Jerry not know that Linehan's fuck ups are also Garrett's fuck-ups. If Jerry allows Garrett to scapegoat Linehan the franchise is truly doomed.
"IF"?

Dude this franchise has been doomed a long time.

While Jerry is in charge, there is very little chance besides pure luck that we win anything of consequence.

At least a semblance of competence is more enjoyable than clown show after clown show, in terms of watching on Sundays.

I guess if you have hope that Jerry is gonna pick a more qualified coach next hire, there's reason to hope the whole thing burns down so a "lesson is learned."

But there's not really any hope of that.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Someone on the Zone said Broaddus claimed Garrett *was* behind Alexander because his idiot brother John who worked for the Bungals with Alexander recommended him.

Makes total sense, actually.

Everyone remembers John, right? The "Dagger to the heart, Martellus" guy? The same guy (along with Jason) who insisted Fasano couldn't play even though he lasted a decade plus in the league?

deadrise

DCC 4Life
It's quite obviously not "all" Linehan's offense; and it shouldn't be anyway, as Garrett as a head coach has enough offensive background that his involvement should go beyond mere head coach managing; he should probably have a more direct say in how his offense functions.

I do find it funny how everyone was praising Linehan and now saying he sucks. Worm turns quick around here.

I've only been here a short time, but in that time I recall very few -- if any -- comments praising Linehan. I always got the impression that almost anywhere you turned you'd find negative opinions of Linehan, primarily because he was an apostle of Garrett's shitful offense scheme.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
"IF"?

Dude this franchise has been doomed a long time.

While Jerry is in charge, there is very little chance besides pure luck that we win anything of consequence.

At least a semblance of competence is more enjoyable than clown show after clown show, in terms of watching on Sundays.

I guess if you have hope that Jerry is gonna pick a more qualified coach next hire, there's reason to hope the whole thing burns down so a "lesson is learned."

But there's not really any hope of that.

I was drawing a distinction between just doomed and truly doomed.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Someone on the Zone said Broaddus claimed Garrett *was* behind Alexander because his idiot brother John who worked for the Bungals with Alexander recommended him.

Makes total sense, actually.

Everyone remembers John, right? The "Dagger to the heart, Martellus" guy? The same guy (along with Jason) who insisted Fasano couldn't play even though he lasted a decade plus in the league?

John is currently the head coach of Lafayette College. Against other small, east-coast liberal arts schools John's team is 1 - 4 this year. Last year his team was 3 - 8.

Clearly coaching greatness runs in the Garrett family's DNA.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I've only been here a short time, but in that time I recall very few -- if any -- comments praising Linehan. I always got the impression that almost anywhere you turned you'd find negative opinions of Linehan, primarily because he was an apostle of Garrett's shitful offense scheme.
Linehan was promoted -- not just here, mind you -- as the savior of the Garrett pass-happy offenses of pre-2014, which were denounced as terrible but in reality were way more productive than what we have now, despite being worse talent wise just about everywhere but QB.

It's pretty unarguable that the hiring of Linehan signaled a shift in their philosophy; but the idea that Linehan was responsible for it all was pure fantasy, and of course now we see that maybe Linehan actually doesn't really have a ton of answers anyway.

Not that Garrett does either; I'm more just commenting that it's more obvious than ever that this isn't all entirely Linehan's offense and never has been.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Yep, can't blame Garrett for the offense. It's all Linehans fault.
Its probably Garrett's idea to scapegoat Linehan. But truly, if Linehan fails, Garrett fails too. I don't see how Garrett can survive a Linehan debacle.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Its probably Garrett's idea to scapegoat Linehan. But truly, if Linehan fails, Garrett fails too. I don't see how Garrett can survive a Linehan debacle.
I don't either but I think most of us know Garrett is willing to throw anyone under the bus he can to save himself or to help himself.

Top Bottom