Sean Lee

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

Jiggyfly

Banned
I think a lot of people are living in the past, name one superbowl winner in the last 6 years that has a dominant o-line.

Outside of San Fran I don't think any playoff teams over that stretch has used that many premium resources on the O-line.

I guess if its hands down BPA you have to consider it but there are just to many holes on defense to use a 1st on an o-lineman especially considering zone blocking types can be found later in the draft.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Seahawks used high picks in Okung, Carpenter, Unger.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think a lot of people are living in the past, name one superbowl winner in the last 6 years that has a dominant o-line.

Outside of San Fran I don't think any playoff teams over that stretch has used that many premium resources on the O-line.

I guess if its hands down BPA you have to consider it but there are just to many holes on defense to use a 1st on an o-lineman especially considering zone blocking types can be found later in the draft.
Well the 49ers came within about 3 yards of winning it all last year and were an OT away from being in the Super Bowl the year before that, so I guess that's something.

Generally speaking I agree with you but if the BPA is an OG or RT, it isn't particularly close and I don't like any of my trade down scenarios, I'd have no problem spending a 3rd 1st on the OL.

GShock

DCC 4Life
Well the 49ers came within about 3 yards of winning it all last year and were an OT away from being in the Super Bowl the year before that, so I guess that's something.

Generally speaking I agree with you but if the BPA is an OG or RT, it isn't particularly close and I don't like any of my trade down scenarios, I'd have no problem spending a 3rd 1st on the OL.
Yep. It performed well down the stretch, but there is little depth and the chances of one of Bernardeau, Leary, or Free falling off is not insignificant.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Yep. Safety is a huge need as well.
Bad as it is you could argue there's room for growth with Wilcox and Church. A need, but not breaking our back.

Now the DL...

Hatcher is on his way out, and even if he stays he's not young. Ware is in a serious spiral of decline. Hayden and Selvie are depth guys we asked to start the whole season. There's not much more to them, and I absolutely think we saw Selvie's ceiling this season. Crawford is coming off a serious injury that is particularly difficult for linemen because of the pressure they put on their feet every play. Spencer and Ratliff aren't on the team.

DL's not a need, it's a total disaster. A good GM sees next to nothing there as the future.

At LB you have half of an instinctive but small player in Sean Lee, an average Justin Durant, three quarters of an average player in Bruce Carter, a solid player in Wilber, and Sims and Holloman providing depth. Out of that whole group, your future is Wilber and Holloman, as Carter will probably not be extended and Lee is completely unreliable. It's all made more complicated because Lee and Carter's combined injury factor affects both the practice time of starters and leadership of the defense.

Hence, LB caps off the front seven crapfest,

So in the first round next year you might say "Hey the DT's available at 16 aren't nearly as good as the WR who just fell to us." Too bad. Suck it up, trade down, and address the need-- that actually worked for the team this year. Frederick and Williams are better than just about any one player in the whole first round out of the top ten. Even Lotulelei doesn't play every down like Frederick, and Williams has been completely huge in the face of Austin's collapse.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
I think Selvie is a guy you could live with at LE if Ware hadn't went all relic on us.

Jiggyfly

Banned

San Fran is the outlier but like I said if its hands down BPA I could go for it but with the other holes we have I can't see that being the case.

With the position we are cap wise and defensively its not wise drafting to be using a 1st in case people fall off at this point Free is a average RT and is in his prime, yes I would bring in competition for Berny but that's later in the draft.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I think Selvie is a guy you could live with at LE if Ware hadn't went all relic on us.
I don't think so. The guy MAY be a decent rotation guy. Not a starter on a championship caliber defense.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
San Fran is the outlier but like I said if its hands down BPA I could go for it but with the other holes we have I can't see that being the case.

With the position we are cap wise and defensively its not wise drafting to be using a 1st in case people fall off at this point Free is a average RT and is in his prime, yes I would bring in competition for Berny but that's later in the draft.
You can't point to anything other than the DL that's a hands-down greater need. So unless we're locking into one position group, then that means OL should be on the table.

Yes, we could use help at LB, yes, we've needed a safety for the longest time, but we've got developmental names there or guys that are good decent if they could stay healthy, which is basically the more than you can say for Bernadeau and Free. The line played well at the end of the year but as a position group it's just as much of a need as DB or LB in general, which is to say, there is some good, some bad, and at all three of those position groups there are guys you could easily benefit from replacing.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I can get behind Ravi's advocacy of trading down if the BPA is a WR or something, though.

superpunk

Banned
We need DL and LB more than anything. Carter is soft all the time and lost in coverage, Lee isn't reliable.

After that I'd go RB. We have nothing behind Murray and I have no idea if Randle can play. WR maybe, too. Miles has to be out, and I don't want to be relying on the Beas full time.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Selvie is quite clearly a very good rotational guy in this scheme and with Marinelli's coaching. Who knows what happens if Marinelli leaves but this guy was relatively stout against the run and had 7 sacks, if we are running this scheme with Marinelli next year I'm more than fine with Selvie as our 3rd DE.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
If we draft a WR or RB high I may lose my shit, especially if there is DL talent on the board. WR I can maybe see if it's BPA, but no on the RB. We can find a serviceable guy later.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yeah, I think Selvie can be the third DE, but I wouldn't want him as more than that, unless via injury.

Carp

DCC 4Life
If we draft a WR or RB high I may lose my shit, especially if there is DL talent on the board. WR I can maybe see if it's BPA, but no on the RB. We can find a serviceable guy later.
You lose your shit all the time around draft day.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think so. The guy MAY be a decent rotation guy. Not a starter on a championship caliber defense.
Sure he is. He basically put up Greg Ellis like production at LE without the pussy attitude. The problem is he needs an elite pass rusher opposite him and Ware was not an elite pass rusher this year.

Top Bottom