Seahawks WR Sidney Rice, 27, announces his retirement

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Seahawks WR Sidney Rice, 27, announces his retirement
By John Breech | CBSSports.com
July 23, 2014 4:12 pm ET

After seven injury-filled seasons, Seahawks wide receiver Sidney Rice has had enough of the NFL. The 27-year-old has decided to retire, the Seahawks announced on Wednesday.

The veteran receiver was cut by Seattle in February in a cost-cutting move that cleared up $7.3 million in 2014 cap space for Seahawks. However, Rice returned to the team in April when he signed a one-year deal.

Rice missed the final eight games of the Seahawks 2013 season after tearing his ACL in a Week 8 win over the Rams. Along with those eight games, Rice also missed seven games with Seattle in 2011 due to injuries that included two concussions and a sore knee.

In his seven-year career, Rice missed a total of 31 games due to injuries, which amounts to almost two full seasons.

The receiver's injury history played a large part in his decision to retire, "I was just thinking about things I've been through in the last few years," Rice told the team's official website. "I've hit the ground a number of times. I have quite a few injuries. It's something I've always battled through and came back from, But I just figure at this point I have the rest of my life ahead of me and I want to be able to function and do things later down the road."

Since his rookie year in 2007, Rice has only made it through an entire season twice (2009, 2012), but one of those was his most productive years. In 2009 with the Vikings, Rice was voted to the Pro Bowl after tallying 1,312 receiving yards, the fourth-highest total in the NFL that year.

The former second-round pick will finish his career with 3,592 receiving yards, 30 touchdown catches, that 2009 Pro Bowl appearance and most importantly, a Super Bowl ring.

"My favorite [moment] would have to be Thursday the 19th -- June 19 and getting the ring," Rice said. "That would have to be my favorite moment."

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
...In 2009 with the Vikings, Rice was voted to the Pro Bowl after tallying 1,312 receiving yards, the fourth-highest total in the NFL that year.

The former second-round pick will finish his career with 3,592 receiving yards, 30 touchdown catches, that 2009 Pro Bowl appearance and most importantly, a Super Bowl ring.

"My favorite [moment] would have to be Thursday the 19th -- June 19 and getting the ring," Rice said. "That would have to be my favorite moment."

So he only had 2,200 rec yds total in the other 6 seasons... Yikes.

Top Bottom