Schefter: Scott Linehan Under Consideration For Play Caller

p1_

DCC 4Life
I was actually surprised to see that Detroit ran the ball about 100 times more than we did last year, so I guess that's something.
So, on average, 6+ more times per game than we did. Doesn't seem like a lot.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
So, on average, 6+ more times per game than we did. Doesn't seem like a lot.
6 more times a game is a huge difference, particularly when you run as few times as we typically do.

For example, let's say for arguments sake Murray averaged 15 carries per game last season (I have no idea if that's accurate, though I bet it's not far off).

Let's say we added 6 carries per game to Murray's workload. Now he is averaging 21 carries per game.

The Cowboys record in Murray's career when he carries the ball 20 or more times is about 11-0.

Now, they won't be undefeated forever just by giving Murray 20 carries (it's more complicated than that), but I do think the team's odds of winning go up if we increase Murray's workload just 5 or 6 carries.

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
So Red has the power to demand a new OC but not the power to demand that he himself take over play calling.

I'm sure this is true

p1_

DCC 4Life
So Red has the power to demand a new OC but not the power to demand that he himself take over play calling.

I'm sure this is true
You mean power to take it back . But then he needed it taken away I think we all might agree.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
6 more times a game is a huge difference, particularly when you run as few times as we typically do.

For example, let's say for arguments sake Murray averaged 15 carries per game last season (I have no idea if that's accurate, though I bet it's not far off).

Let's say we added 6 carries per game to Murray's workload. Now he is averaging 21 carries per game.

The Cowboys record in Murray's career when he carries the ball 20 or more times is about 11-0.

Now, they won't be undefeated forever just by giving Murray 20 carries (it's more complicated than that), but I do think the team's odds of winning go up if we increase Murray's workload just 5 or 6 carries.
Murray had the highest YPC for any rusher with over 200 carries so yea, I'd say 6 or so more runs per game could have been the difference between a win or two. Not to say I'm happy with this hire, it was just an observation.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
It is. You occasionally throw out an Andy Reid, but you will never accept a coordinator or college head coach would be an upgrade, even though Garrett throws a couple of games a year so badly it looks intentional.
Just because I don't like any names right now doesn't mean I'll "never" accept someone.

And in addition I haven't even necessarily ruled out some of the names you throw out like David Shaw, though I've said I'm not sure. Regardless, he doesn't seem to be throwing his hat into the ring right now.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Detroit had the 14th most rushing attempts last year.

Dallas had the 31st. Demarco Murray may just have splooged at the thought of being 14th in the NFL in rushing attempts.
I wouldn't count on Dallas jumping up to 14th, but I certainly don't think the Linehan hiring is a bad thing.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Troy Aikman likes Scott Linehan but is worried about the continued lack of continuity on the Cowboys

Former Cowboys quarterback Troy Aikman likes Scott Linehan has an offensive coach but he is concerned about the continued changes on the Cowboys and the lack of continuity.

The Cowboys are in the process of adding Linehan, the former Detroit Lions offensive coordinator as passing game coordinator and play caller. He has been at the team's Valley Ranch headquarters the past two days participating in meetings. The team has yet to make an official announcement.

Linehan would be the third play caller in as many years for the Cowboys.

"I like Scott. I like Scott as an offensive guy," Aikman said at Super Bowl media day Tuesday. "He’s done a good job at other places he’s been. I think that they’re trying to find their way. There was the thought that last year with the changes that were made on both sides of the ball that there would be improvement, but really there was regression for both units. Now, more changes again. Changes aren’t necessarily bad, but I think there’s something to be said for continuity. But I’ve been a part of teams that had change that really benefitted from that. Hopefully the Cowboys will as well."

Clarence Hill

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The one thing I do like about Linehan is he involves his RB's in the passing game heavily, it will be very good for the offense if we can get Murray and Dunbar involved in the passing game more effectively.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Tony Romo, Scott Linehan get acquainted

January, 29, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Quarterback Tony Romo and new playcaller Scott Linehan met for the first time on Tuesday in what the Dallas Cowboys hope will become a prosperous relationship.

“Obviously creating an environment for your quarterback to play well is something we all think is important,” Coach Jason Garrett said. “We take great pride in that over the last seven years with this system and what we’re trying to do with our football team. Tony did get a chance to visit with Scott today and we think that’s a positive thing. Again to have those open lines of communication with our quarterback is a good thing. We’ve always thought it was a good thing.”

The Cowboys coaches are beginning what Garrett calls the “first phase” of the offseason, breaking down the season and what went right and wrong and how to fix things in 2014. With Romo recovering from back surgery, he should be involved in that process as well and will continue to have a say in the game planning.

Garrett sounded as if he will take even a further step back on offense altogether in 2014.

Bill Callahan called the plays in 2013, but Garrett was still responsible for the passing game. Late in the season, Garrett relayed the calls from Callahan from the coaches’ booth to Romo or Kyle Orton. Garrett said the Cowboys will return to the structure they had when he was the playcaller, which means Linehan could be on the field during games.

“He’ll be in a similar role that I was in a couple of years ago and the years prior to that,” Garrett said. “So he’ll have the responsibility of calling plays and putting the passing game together and all that goes with that in the offseason, during the game week and certainly on gameday.”

Linehan has had a top-10 ranked offense in seven of his 11 full seasons as a coordinator or head coach with the Minnesota Vikings, Miami Dolphins, St. Louis Rams and, for the past five seasons, the Detroit Lions.

“He’s been one of the really good coordinators in the league for a long time,” Garrett said. “He’s got a lot of experience, a lot of exposure doing this at the collegiate level and the NFL level. His track record speaks for itself. He’s presided over a lot of really good offenses in this league. He and I worked together in Miami for a year, so I know him and I know him well. Philosophically I feel like we’re very similar in how we approach things. I learned a great deal from him, excited to have him on board.”

dallen

Senior Tech
Romo didn't even meet him until after he was hired!? Not very Romo-friendly

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If history is in any indication, new play-caller Scott Linehan and Dallas Cowboys will go deep in 2014

By Rainer Sabin
rsabin@dallasnews.com
2:07 pm on January 29, 2014 |

Last season, the Cowboys were gun-shy. A team armed with a big-play receiver, Dez Bryant, and a veteran quarterback, Tony Romo, was reluctant to take some shots downfield. As the Cowboys meandered their way to a third straight 8-8 record, many wondered what happened to Dallas’ vertical passing game, which vanished for long stretches last season while offensive coordinator Bill Callahan called the plays.

Romo attempted only 42 passes of 21 or more air yards in 2013, the 17th-highest total in the league. Quarterbacks as green as the Jets’ Geno Smith and as long in the tooth as Arizona’s Carson Palmer went deep more times than the Cowboys starter.

But that could change now that Scott Linehan is on board as the play-caller. Linehan digs the long ball. In Minnesota, Miami, St. Louis and Detroit, Linehan’s four NFL stops, the quarterbacks threw were told to stretch the defense.

“It’s fair to say there’s going to be some deep threat incorporated into every read,” Linehan said in 2005, when he worked with Cowboys coach Jason Garrett on Nick Saban’s Dolphins staff. “The coverage will dictate where the ball goes. But we’re going to attack all parts of the field.”

As offensive coordinator in Minnesota, Linehan presided over an attack that featured Daunte Culpepper and one of the NFL’s most dynamic receivers, Randy Moss. In 2002, Linehan’s first season, Culpepper attempted more passes of 20 or more air yards – 85 to be exact – than any quarterback in the league. Three years later, with Linehan pulling the strings, the nomadic Gus Frerotte looked frequently downfield, too. As Miami’s quarterback, Frerotte threw 70 deep passes – the fourth-highest total in the league that season.

In St. Louis, where Linehan served as head coach from 2006 to 2008, the Rams relied on their vertical passing game. During Linehan’s inaugural season with the Rams, St. Louis quarterback Marc Bulger led the league with 77 attempts of 21 or more air yards.

Linehan’s next pupil, Detroit’s Matthew Stafford, threw the second-highest number of long passes in the NFL in 2012, when he aired it out 85 times.

Wherever he has been, Linehan has shown he isn’t risk-averse, dialing up deep passes in the hunt for momentum-changing plays and high rewards. After a season in which Romo and the Cowboys played conservatively on offense, Linehan figures to take a bold approach as he revamps the playbook. Whether that will help Dallas extricate itself from the 8-8 rut that has ensnared the franchise remains to be seen. But it could be entertaining regardless of what happens.

Top Bottom