Schefter: NFL to expand practice squad to 10

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
NFL to expand practice squad to 10
Updated: August 18, 2014, 7:28 PM ET
By Adam Schefter | ESPN

By next week, the NFL is expected to increase the size of practice squads from eight players to 10, according to an NFL source.

Raising the size of the practice squads will provide an extra 64 jobs to players this year, and help teams groom players in ways they cannot with the absence of NFL Europe.

The idea was discussed among league executives and coaches at the owners meetings in Orlando, Florida, in March, and it will be implemented before rosters are reduced to 75 players, then 53 players, by the end of this month.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
NFL to expand practice squad to 10
Updated: August 18, 2014, 7:28 PM ET
By Adam Schefter | ESPN

By next week, the NFL is expected to increase the size of practice squads from eight players to 10, according to an NFL source.

Raising the size of the practice squads will provide an extra 64 jobs to players this year, and help teams groom players in ways they cannot with the absence of NFL Europe.

The idea was discussed among league executives and coaches at the owners meetings in Orlando, Florida, in March, and it will be implemented before rosters are reduced to 75 players, then 53 players, by the end of this month.
I would recommend they be allowed to "protect" one or two guys.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I would recommend they be allowed to "protect" one or two guys.
You mean by not having to subject them to waivers? I agree.

I'd like to see the gameday inactive list go away, too. I never have understood the reason for that. If they're on the 53, let 'em suit up for the game. It just might help a little with preventing injuries, too.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
You mean by not having to subject them to waivers? I agree.

I'd like to see the gameday inactive list go away, too. I never have understood the reason for that. If they're on the 53, let 'em suit up for the game. It just might help a little with preventing injuries, too.
That and designate right of first refusal for one of them. Right now, they are basically free agents who happen to practice with a team and can leave at the drop of a hat.

Top Bottom