Schefter: Cowboys Releasing Orton

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
True but that shouldn't serve as an invitation to a person with integrity. It apparently draws out the dishonesty in some. Jones is soft handed with players and some appreciate it while others expose their true nature. Those are the ones that need to be taken behind the barn and thrashed.
I think it's shitty that Orton did it, too...but he won.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I guess I'm in the minority then as I don't see this as a case of Orton stealing money like the Ratliff situation. Orton signed a 3yr deal for 10.5 mil and has been paid the 5mil bonus + his base salaries for 2012 of 800k and 2013 of 1.35mil+ the restructure bonus of 500k last year which comes to 7.2mil. So he played 2yrs of a 3yr/10.5mil contract for 3.6mil per yr which, while on the higher side, is right inline with what backup qbs make

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I guess I'm in the minority then as I don't see this as a case of Orton stealing money like the Ratliff situation. Orton signed a 3yr deal for 10.5 mil and has been paid the 5mil bonus + his base salaries for 2012 of 800k and 2013 of 1.35mil+ the restructure bonus of 500k last year which comes to 7.2mil. So he played 2yrs of a 3yr/10.5mil contract for 3.6mil per yr which, while on the higher side, is right inline with what backup qbs make
You are rationalizing about a legal contract. It isn't rational that is in dispute it is that he did not fulfill the terms of the contract but took the money as if he did then refused to deliver on his end..

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
You are rationalizing about a legal contract. It isn't rational that is in dispute it is that he did not fulfill the terms of the contract but took the money as if he did then refused to deliver on his end..
No I'm just saying he isnt getting anything extra so I don't see how he got anything he didn't earn. I would have preferred he finished out his contract but only because he is far better than Weeden but if Romo goes down it's not going to make much of a difference either way

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
No I'm just saying he isnt getting anything extra so I don't see how he got anything he didn't earn. I would have preferred he finished out his contract but only because he is far better than Weeden but if Romo goes down it's not going to make much of a difference either way
Again, he didn't finish the contract to earn the full signing bonus. The bonus is predicated on the agreement that he will fulfill the terms af the agreement.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Again, he didn't finish the contract to earn the full signing bonus. The bonus is predicated on the agreement that he will fulfill the terms af the agreement.
The way Dallas backloads contracts that just isn't correct, his main salary for 2012 and 2013 was mainly the 5mil bonus. His initial contract was 3 yrs/10.5mil and he has played 2 and received pay for that

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The way Dallas backloads contracts that just isn't correct, his main salary for 2012 and 2013 was mainly the 5mil bonus. His initial contract was 3 yrs/10.5mil and he has played 2 and received pay for that
So did he get a bonus or not? Has he played three years or not? I understand that he won't get the third year salary but that isn't what I am referencing. It's the bonus that was paid up front. If I am missing something I am open for correction.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
So did he get a bonus or not? Has he played three years or not? I understand that he won't get the third year salary but that isn't what I am referencing. It's the bonus that was paid up front. If I am missing something I am open for correction.
Yes he got a bonus but not in the way I think you are interpreting it, Dallas will often give low initial yearly salaries with the remainder of the contract converted to a bonus to help with the cap.

Carp

DCC 4Life
If he retired he would have had to repay part of the bonus...so he got free money just for not showing up. WGAS how it was structured.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
If he retired he would have had to repay part of the bonus...so he got free money just for not showing up. WGAS how it was structured.
Imo the reason the Cowboys started saying he would have to repay some bonus back is to try and get him to reconsider retirement, I don't think they ever had any intention of actually making him pay any back though

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Imo the reason the Cowboys started saying he would have to repay some bonus back is to try and get him to reconsider retirement, I don't think they ever had any intention of actually making him pay any back though
Okay we will go with that. He is an unintended thief.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Okay we will go with that. He is an unintended thief.
:lol ok then, though he still didn't steal anything. He played for 2yrs and that's what he got paid for.

Carp

DCC 4Life
:lol ok then, though he still didn't steal anything. He played for 2yrs and that's what he got paid for.
Nope...the signing bonus is spread over the life of the contract, so whatever percentage that is for the last year he got for not showing up.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Nope...the signing bonus is spread over the life of the contract, so whatever percentage that is for the last year he got for not showing up.
I agree you're technically right, but it was only done that way for cap purposes which is why there is still 3.5mil he isn't being paid

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I don't think he could overcome pulling a Romo at the end of last season's finale. I can't say I blame him.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I don't think he could overcome pulling a Romo at the end of last season's finale. I can't say I blame him.
But mucho props for getting paid. He and his agent played Jones and Goof Son like a fiddle. Even had them dancing, hoping he would return at some point.

Errr, I mean DAMN THAT JACK DANIELS DRINKIN' SOB! HOW DARE HE!

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
But mucho props for getting paid. He and his agent played Jones and Goof Son like a fiddle. Even had them dancing, hoping he would return at some point.

Errr, I mean DAMN THAT JACK DANIELS DRINKIN' SOB! HOW DARE HE!
The Ratliff model works for leaving Dallas. Orton got exactly what he wanted and didn't pay a dime.

People just don't have any respect for Jerry Jones.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The Ratliff model works for leaving Dallas. Orton got exactly what he wanted and didn't pay a dime.

People just don't have any respect for Jerry Jones.
You sound as though every player on the squad has tried to screw him over. The truth is only a few players have compromised their integrity. The rest have lived up to their agreement with Jones. If you would have said not too many people like Jones I would agree with you but the majority who do business with him respect his generosity even though it is one of his weaknesses. I think this holds up with the rest of the league when it comes to the business side. The area that Jones loses respect is his lack of football judgement.

Top Bottom