Saints Stuff...

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

p1_

DCC 4Life
why dont we travel Jones with a teams most dangerous receiver?

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
RK PLAYER TEAM COMP ATT PCT YDS YDS/A LONG TD INT SACK RATE YDS/G

1 Matt Ryan ATL 310 434 71.4 3,683 8.49 75 24 5 33 110.6 335
7 Drew Brees NO 272 356 76.4 3,135 8.81 72 29 2 10 127.3 285

I like my comparisons to be a little more informative. The sack figures just make Ryan look even more impressive.
I'm not saying Ryan is a bad QB, but Ryan doesn't have a running game, so they have used the short passing game to counter that and of course, with that comes lots of sacks.

Brees and and Ryan are almost neck and neck on 40+ and 20+ pass plays downfield. Brees has a higher avg/per pass even though he's thrown the ball 7 or 8 times less per game. The big thing is Brees doesn't have to really throw the ball as much as he has been, but when combined with his accuracy, big plays downfield and their running game, it makes the Saints a much more dangerous team than Atlanta will ever be.

My point in listing the sacks was simply Dallas is going to have to defend against a hi octane running game, and also against a hi powered passing attack which is not happy with throwing the ball the 5 yards it needs for a first down, but an offense that's thriving on rushing the ball nearly 5 yards a pop, and huge pass plays down the field all while giving up less than 1 sack per game.

Dallas vs Atlanta isn't even in the same galaxy.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
My guess is since this is sort of his first year in this system playing cornerback that they don't want to mess with his technique by swapping sides.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I cant remember is Deion the last guy that Dallas moved around like that? Don't recall them moving the cbs very much if it all in a long time.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I swear Falcons fans are idiots. Living in Atlanta, I haven't had one Falcons fan say they hope the Saints lose today.
That is what it's like living in Houston even when we play against an AFC South opponent.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I'm not saying Ryan is a bad QB, but Ryan doesn't have a running game, so they have used the short passing game to counter that and of course, with that comes lots of sacks.

Brees and and Ryan are almost neck and neck on 40+ and 20+ pass plays downfield. Brees has a higher avg/per pass even though he's thrown the ball 7 or 8 times less per game. The big thing is Brees doesn't have to really throw the ball as much as he has been, but when combined with his accuracy, big plays downfield and their running game, it makes the Saints a much more dangerous team than Atlanta will ever be.

My point in listing the sacks was simply Dallas is going to have to defend against a hi octane running game, and also against a hi powered passing attack which is not happy with throwing the ball the 5 yards it needs for a first down, but an offense that's thriving on rushing the ball nearly 5 yards a pop, and huge pass plays down the field all while giving up less than 1 sack per game.

Dallas vs Atlanta isn't even in the same galaxy.
Exactly. This game will be a completely different animal because of that Saints running game.

As crazy as it may sound, given Brees' high level of play, I think this is a game where the Cowboys best chance is forcing Brees to beat them. Obviously you can't put 8 in the box against this offense, but focus needs to be placed on shutting down that Saints rushing attack and forcing Brees into as many 3rd and long situations as possible. We're not a run blitz team so it'll be up to the LBs beating blocks and making plays near/behind the LOS.

Also, Brees doesn't make many mistakes but if for some reason he throws an errant pass or a pass gets deflected, the Cowboy defenders have got to take advantage of those precious few plays. We've seen these guys drop way too many passes that should have been easy INTs. Passes that literally hit them in both hands or chest and they're not making the catch to create the turnover. That can't happen tonight. If Brees throws them one they've gotta catch it. That's about the only way I see them pulling off an upset.

DontCryWolfe

DCC 4Life
An 8% increase over that Patriots team?

I can’t wait to read all the regurgitated “Garrett is done” articles after tonight.

38-17, Saints.

Edit: Post in regards to all time percentage of drives that score, listed above.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
He only threw for 170 yards against the Falcons. I was told by someone on here that it signals a bad game.
.... and four touchdowns passing. :dunce

It IS a bad game, when you constantly struggle to do better than 170 yards, and your offense is the worst in the league in yards and points. It absolutely "signals," a bad game. It just doesn't guarantee a bad game, as Mr. Brees showed against the Falcons.

But it certainly "signals," it.

But for Prescott, yes, his low yardage output is certainly one of the signals that he has major problems.

Shockingly, in our four game winning streak here, his yardage has been way, way up. 253 yards per game, to be exact.

Jesus christ! Right at that mendoza line I talked to you about weeks ago.

Guess there was something to that after all, considering his 207 ypg during our 3-5 skid.

I mean, either I knew what I was talking about, or I just got extremely lucky that the numbers happen to completely substantiate my point.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
.... and four touchdowns passing. :dunce

It IS a bad game, when you constantly struggle to do better than 170 yards, and your offense is the worst in the league in yards and points. It absolutely "signals," a bad game. It just doesn't guarantee a bad game, as Mr. Brees showed against the Falcons.

But it certainly "signals," it.

But for Prescott, yes, his low yardage output is certainly one of the signals that he has major problems.

Shockingly, in our four game winning streak here, his yardage has been way, way up. 253 yards per game, to be exact.

Jesus christ! Right at that mendoza line I talked to you about weeks ago.

Guess there was something to that after all, considering his 207 ypg during our 3-5 skid.

I mean, either I knew what I was talking about, or I just got extremely lucky that the numbers happen to completely substantiate my point.
We pass the ball more because we have Amari Cooper. It's not rocket science. Your yards have nothing to do with it. His YPA, completion percentage, third down conversion rate and TD to INT ration are all way up since Cooper has come in here. All far superior statistics for a QB.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
We pass the ball more because we have Amari Cooper.
Sorry, the 2 more attempts per game we are averaging don't explain the 50 yards per game increase in yards.

Your yards have nothing to do with it.
No, they actually have a lot to do with it. Sorry.

His YPA, completion percentage, third down conversion rate and TD to INT ration are all way up
And? All those things have a bearing on how many yards he passes for (well, except TD:INT).

Low yardage is still a very clear indicator of a struggling QB.

It's just not the only, or best, indicator.

But it's still an indicator.

Yeah, 170 yards passing tends to indicate a struggle.

Unless some other stat acts as an outlier to explain it away, such as 4 TDs.

But Prescott's low yardage has been hallmarked by non-elite offensive production. He has room to improve the output, but he can't. His yards are too low to get into scoring position often enough. Maybe his low yards are because he has a low completion percentage, but the low yards is still an indicator that he's struggling. For Prescott, actually, all his throws were short of the sticks, so he had an acceptable completion percentage, but he just wasn't getting anything downfield, he wasn't moving the ball downfield with his arm.

Wasn't, anyway. Like I said, the last four weeks he's been what we're hoping he can turn into. A Russell Wilson-lite. If he stops taking the sacks and fumbling, this kind of performance might actually be extension worthy. His performance the first 7 weeks was benching worthy.

All far superior statistics for a QB.
Maybe. But not the be-all, end-all. And also potentially deceptive.

Low yards indicates a struggling QB, though, generally.

Don't know how many more statistical examples we need to point to.

240-50, just like I said, is where Prescott needs to be.

And sure enough, he gets there, and we're on a 4 game winning streak.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
We need to find Smitty some more clients. He doesn't have near enough to do at work. :unsure

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry, the 2 more attempts per game we are averaging don't explain the 50 yards per game increase in yards.

No, they actually have a lot to do with it. Sorry.

And? All those things have a bearing on how many yards he passes for (well, except TD:INT).

Low yardage is still a very clear indicator of a struggling QB.

It's just not the only, or best, indicator.

But it's still an indicator.

Yeah, 170 yards passing tends to indicate a struggle.

Unless some other stat acts as an outlier to explain it away, such as 4 TDs.

But Prescott's low yardage has been hallmarked by non-elite offensive production. He has room to improve the output, but he can't. His yards are too low to get into scoring position often enough. Maybe his low yards are because he has a low completion percentage, but the low yards is still an indicator that he's struggling. For Prescott, actually, all his throws were short of the sticks, so he had an acceptable completion percentage, but he just wasn't getting anything downfield, he wasn't moving the ball downfield with his arm.

Wasn't, anyway. Like I said, the last four weeks he's been what we're hoping he can turn into. A Russell Wilson-lite. If he stops taking the sacks and fumbling, this kind of performance might actually be extension worthy. His performance the first 7 weeks was benching worthy.
His YPA are way up. Which like I said, has an extremely high correlation to winning games. So does completion percentage. Which he completed 85% of his passes and had 8.86 yards per attempt against the Saints. No point in rehashing the argument, ultimately we both want similar stuff. I just don't care about total yards. If my guy throws for 170 yards, 4 TDs and completes a high percentage of his passes in the process the yards are meaningless.

Top Bottom