Sabin: Church says ‘there is no reason why we shouldn’t be the No. 1 D in the league'

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
With players on the mend, Cowboys S Barry Church says ‘there is no reason why we shouldn’t be the No. 1 defense in the league’

By Rainer Sabin / Reporter
rsabin@dallasnews.com
4:12 pm on May 21, 2013 |

IRVING — Throughout the off-season, Dallas Cowboys team executives have said a dearth in talent wasn’t the reason why the defense struggled last season. They repeatedly expressed faith in the personnel.

”Our plan in free agency is to get guys healthy,” executive vice president Stephen Jones said in February. “That’s how we are going to improve our team – get guys from the IR back on the field.”

This wasn’t a comment made in jest. Jones was serious. Dallas, limited by salary-cap constraints, signed two players in March — Linebacker Justin Durant and safety Will Allen. Management then focused more on improving the offense in the draft.

That’s because the Cowboys felt the defensive problems last season could be attributed to the complexity of former coordinator Rob Ryan’s scheme and the six season-ending injuries suffered by major contributors.

In a span of a few months, Dallas lost safety Barry Church, linebackers Sean Lee and Bruce Carter, defensive tackle Jay Ratliff, cornerback Orlando Scandrick and defensive end Kenyon Coleman — the only player who has since left the ranks. Meanwhile, star pass rusher DeMarcus Ware suffered a hyperextended right elbow and a posterior torn labrum in his right shoulder that limited his effectiveness.

“If we can remain healthy throughout the whole season, the sky is the limit for us,” Church said. “We have stars at every level. There is no reason why we shouldn’t be the No. 1 defense in the league.”

That’s a strong statement made by someone who played for a team that conceded 359 offensive points — the 10th-highest total in the NFL last season. But the defenders in the Cowboys locker room, by and large, believe a turnaround can be accomplished under new coordinator Monte Kiffin.

“The injury bug hit us hard,” cornerback Brandon Carr said. “Some of our key players, our cornerstone players of our defense, went down…Now we have guys with a year under their belt playing together and we kind of have got a feel for how [everyone] plays. And now everybody is pretty much on the same page as far as the new scheme and things like that. This year the sky is the limit.”
----------------

It appears that is the mantra this year.

HAI GUYZ! WE IZ NOT HURT NO MORE!

It just makes me nauseated. I am so sick of this team and their habitual self-enabling. It is chronic from the top of the organization to the schlub players and why we can never turn the corner.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
No reason?

Funny, because I can think of many:

No pass rush

No DT

No safeties

Old DC who has been out of the league for a while

No depth

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
No reason?

Funny, because I can think of many:

No pass rush

No DT

No safeties

Old DC who has been out of the league for a while

No depth
But WE IZ HEALTHY!!!

That is until someone pulls a hammy, gets turf toe, breaks an elbow, strains a knee...then it is poor woe is us.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Having 2 probowl pass rushing DEs = shit pass rush.

In other news 1 + 1 = 4
There is more to it than taking two pass rushing ends.

To me, you need interior push just as much as the exterior. If neither of your tackles can get push, good QBs can simply step up.

That's where we don't have much to hang our hopes on.

And yes, I am considering a "healthy" Ratliff.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

In other news 1 + 1 = 4
Correct me if I'm wrong, but we've had this same duo as our starting pass rush pair for 6 years now, and hasn't pass rush been an issue for most of that time sans late 2008 and late 2009?

So just because we're moving them to DE automatically means that the lack of a pass rush issue that has plagued us for most of the last 6 years is just going to go away?

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
That's not quite 'no' pass rush.
Ok, lack of a good or consistent pass rush.

Only the Cowboys could have the premier pass rusher in the league and yet still manage to field what amounts to a below average pass rush for most of his tenure.

Lotuseater

Banned

In other news 1 + 1 = 4
Not to piss on your party, but we were 20th in sacks last year. That aint good, and spencer made the pro bowl as an alternate. Relax on the "furious pass rush".

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
For fuck's sake, can't any of the drooling retards on our team just shut the fuck up and not talk until after they've proven themselves as a solid unit? We've done jack and shit for years, yet talk like we're the second coming of the '85 Bears.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not to piss on your party, but we were 20th in sacks last year. That aint good, and spencer made the pro bowl as an alternate. Relax on the "furious pass rush".
Thanks, I will keep that in mind next time I ever use the words "furious pass rush." Wait, I have never used words even close to that. We were very average in the pass rush department last year. Then again a lot of people bitched about our pass rush even back in the day when were we leading the league in sacks (2008).

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I don't know why this team struggles at getting consistent pressure, especially given the fact that we have an all-pro on one side and a pretty good rusher on the other.

Outside of the 2nd half of 2008 and late 2009, I don't remember ever watching this team since this combo was put together and thinking to myself that we had a good pass rush. We'll go really long stretches in games and even seasons and just watch the opposing QB's have all day to throw. The lack of a consistent rush is one of the primary reasons why we have also ranked among the league worst in turnovers in that span.

In the last 5 years (2008-2012) we have ranked 21st, 28th, 9th, 16th, and 27th in turnovers. That's pathetic.

Even in our most successful season since the 90's (2009), we ranked an awful 28th in turnovers. As long as we struggle to produce a consistent pass rush, we'll also struggle to force turnovers.

It almost feels like this is happening every year.

Lotuseater

Banned
I don't know why this team struggles at getting consistent pressure, especially given the fact that we have an all-pro on one side and a pretty good rusher on the other.

Outside of the 2nd half of 2008 and late 2009, I don't remember ever watching this team since this combo was put together and thinking to myself that we had a good pass rush. We'll go really long stretches in games and even seasons and just watch the opposing QB's have all day to throw. The lack of a consistent rush is one of the primary reasons why we have also ranked among the league worst in turnovers in that span.

In the last 5 years (2008-2012) we have ranked 21st, 28th, 9th, 16th, and 27th in turnovers. That's pathetic.

Even in our most successful season since the 90's (2009), we ranked an awful 28th in turnovers. As long as we struggle to produce a consistent pass rush, we'll also struggle to force turnovers.

It almost feels like this is happening every year.

AND to top it off, nobody has more sacks than Ware since 2005. Most meaningless stat ever. Derrick thomas 2.0. Hall of fame career on a shitty team.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
There is more to it than taking two pass rushing ends.

To me, you need interior push just as much as the exterior. If neither of your tackles can get push, good QBs can simply step up.

That's where we don't have much to hang our hopes on.

And yes, I am considering a "healthy" Ratliff.
I think Ratliff and Hatcher will be all right when both are healthy, not that I think that will happen often.

Top Bottom