Sabin: A telling comment from Stephen Jones regarding Miles Austin, DeMarcus Ware

Irving Cowboy

DCC 4Life
Sabin: A telling comment from Stephen Jones regarding Miles Austin, DeMarcus Ware
Staff Reports
Published: 20 February 2014 06:32 PM
Updated: 20 February 2014 08:39 PM

Cowboys beat writer Rainer Sabin answered questions in a chat Thursday. Here are some highlights.

Question: Any idea how Kiffin is dealing with what is in effect, a demotion? How do you think this will impact the team on the field, if any?
Rainer Sabin: He's a professional and is known as one of the hardest-working men at Valley Ranch. Kiffin spends hours at the Cowboys' complex and he's pretty devoted to his craft. I don't think it will have much of an impact. He'll still be present and he will be helping his close friend, Rod Marinelli, who is now the defensive coordinator.

Question: Why don't we learn from the Patriots? Don't pay age! Cut Austin and Ware.
Rainer Sabin: The Cowboys are contemplating what they will do with both players. But Stephen Jones had a pretty telling comment about the organization's approach. "Our philosophy has been over time is that sometimes what you know is better than what you don’t know," he said. In other words, the Cowboys are reluctant to part with players they know have produced in the past and they're hesitant to acquire players with whom they are not as familiar.

Question: We should trade up and get Sammy Watkins. Speed kills - we could turn out score everyone. Defense is overrated . Your thoughts?
Rainer Sabin: Defense isn't overrated. Did you watch the Super Bowl. Seattle dominated Denver. The Cowboys' Super Bowl teams also had very strong defenses.

Question: Who would you take in the first round if you were running the Cowboys? Or would you trade the pick?
Rainer Sabin: I would take the best defensive lineman or free safety available. I wouldn't trade the pick unless the values of the players available at those two positions are nowhere close to the value of the 16th pick.

Question: Who's getting cut before OTAs start?
Rainer Sabin: Good question. We asked Stephen Jones that very question multiple times this week and he said the organization is considering a bunch of scenarios that will help them get below the salary cap ceiling before the March 11 deadline.

Question: What's actually the most important drill in the combine?
Rainer Sabin: Depends on the position group, of course. Doubt anybody cares if a quarterback can do a lot of reps on the 225-bench press. But scouts sure do look at that for offensive and defensive linemen.

Question: The Cowboys were dead last in defense in 2013. Assuming no season-ending injuries to starters on D in 2014, is it reasonable to expect they could jump up near the middle?
Rainer Sabin: I think that's possible. They'll have to upgrade at certain positions through the draft. But I think the players will be more comfortable with the scheme and Marinelli has proved he's a good defensive coordinator who is capable of sparking improvement. But it should be noted that total yardage is what the defensive rankings are based upon. And keeping yardage at a minimum is not a priority in the Marinelli/Kiffin system. Limiting points and creating turnovers are the primary objectives in that scheme.

Question: Assuming Miles Austin is released, who would be Cowboys' 4th receiver when they want to employ that set? Dez, Williams, Beasley ... then who?
Rainer Sabin: Well, Dwayne Harris is still on the team. Depending on how much cap space they have available, the Cowboys could also scour the veteran free agent market for a receiver who can play both the inside and outside positions like Miles could. Harris and Cole Beasley are obviously slot guys. Dez Bryant and Terrance Williams are outside receivers.

Question: Saw where the writer that helped Michael Sam plan how he would come out, said the Cowboys wouldn't be a good spot for Sam because of poor leadership. What do you think about that comment?
Rainer Sabin: I disagree. I think the Cowboys have a good locker room populated with mature players. They don't necessarily have a lot of vocal guys. But they do have solid citizens up and down the roster. I have a feeling Sean Lee, the leader of the defense, would make sure that a player like Michael Sam would feel welcome.

junk

Not So New Member
Sammy Watkins - out score everyone? With Linehan and Garrett running the offense? Ha.

I kind of wish Dallas would just outright cut Miles this year and take the full hit so it makes 2015 less messy.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Sammy Watkins - out score everyone? With Linehan and Garrett running the offense? Ha.

I kind of wish Dallas would just outright cut Miles this year and take the full hit so it makes 2015 less messy.
Watkins won't make it out of the top five. Not even a chance.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
In other words, the Cowboys are reluctant to part with players they know have produced in the past and they're hesitant to acquire players with whom they are not as familiar.
No freaking shit the team is reluctant to cut players who have shown something in the past. We were just talking about this yesterday.

It is lazy, irresponsible, and downright stupid for a team to choose not to release someone who is obviously either overpaid or no longer any good (or in Austin's case, both) because they aren't sure if they'll find his replacement.

Miles Austin has been worthless for the last 2 seasons and only the Cowboys would entertain keeping him after he had something like 200 yards or less receiving last year.

Why is this team so stupid?

Last edited:

Carp

DCC 4Life
Sean Lee will make Sam feel welcome. Cryptic, yet interesting.

dallen

Senior Tech
Question: Saw where the writer that helped Michael Sam plan how he would come out, said the Cowboys wouldn't be a good spot for Sam because of poor leadership. What do you think about that comment?
Rainer Sabin: I disagree. I think the Cowboys have a good locker room populated with mature players. They don't necessarily have a lot of vocal guys. But they do have solid citizens up and down the roster. I have a feeling Sean Lee, the leader of the defense, would make sure that a player like Michael Sam would feel welcome.
He wasn't saying Dallas was a bad place for a gay player. He said Dallas was a bad place for any player

Hawkeye

Brand New Member
It is lazy, irresponsible, and downright stupid for a team to choose not to release someone who is obviously either overpaid or no longer any good (or in Austin's case, both) because they aren't sure if they'll find his replacement.

Why is this team so stupid?
They are in fact admitting that they have no confidence in their scouting, drafting and player development. Why would you say this otherwise? If you actually trusted your scouting, evaluation and coaching personnel, then you can shed dead weight knowing that you WILL find a worthy replacement.

Last edited:
Top Bottom